Horsepower: Making it Add Up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Drag Racing Technique
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 03:48   #1 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
 
XRFPV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,021
Horsepower: Making it Add Up

i would like to share this article with you guys..here are 2 parts of it...if you want to read all of it, there is a link below...
found this quote.
If you're gonna bench race, at least start your brain.
.
Considering how much energy car people expend talking about horsepower and comparing how much they and their rivals have, there is a surprising amount of misunderstanding about how and where those horsepower numbers come from. While it's true that horsepower is horsepower, the circumstances under which it has been measured over the years has varied. To make a valid comparison, it's important to make sure you're using the same numbers for all cars.
.
Dyno Racing
We've focused on the F-body quite a bit because it makes for such an interesting case study, but this is not to say that General Motors has a monopoly on fiddling with horsepower numbers. "Tweaking" the numbers a bit is a common practice, especially in segments of the market where power sells, and amongst enthusiasts who have modified their cars but never put them to the test. At the end of the day, arguing about exact horsepower numbers leaves you with nothing but a day wasted arguing. You can't race a dyno; what matters is how fast a car can get down the track. If it can run the number, then the amount of horsepower it took to get it there, or how the horsepower was measured, won't change the outcome of the race. Next time someone tries to bench race with horsepower numbers, ask for a timeslip. If he can't deliver, then cut the conversation short and move on. He's not really in the game anyway.
.
the rest of the article is on.
From the Horse's, SAE Net Horspower, SAE Gross Horsepower,DIN Horsepower, Brake Horsepower, Kilowatts, Advertised Horsepower, Testing, Testing, Vapor Horsepower?..
http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html
__________________





PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.


XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2004, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont
 
brenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cranbourne, Vic
Posts: 5,113
Re: Horsepower: Making it Add Up

In addition it's been proven parasitic loses are lessened on a dynojet dyno than a dyno dynamics dyno. It's all in the link The link below is researched by a well known dyno King (The Judge).

http://www.twinturbov8.com/dynostuff.htm

Brenden
__________________
XB Fairmont (street car) 11.07@123.02mph.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29   #3 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
 
XRFPV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,021
Re: Horsepower: Making it Add Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
In addition it's been proven parasitic loses are lessened on a dynojet dyno than a dyno dynamics dyno. It's all in the link The link below is researched by a well known dyno King (The Judge).

http://www.twinturbov8.com/dynostuff.htm

Brenden
thats a good one brenx, i have heard poeple discussing this before that looks it is proven, i was told it was 10% difference but either way there is a bit of difference between the two dyno's..
__________________





PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.


XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 22:08   #4 (permalink)
The SB Slayer
 
FPVGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Should be polishing my GT's
Posts: 1,529
Re: Horsepower: Making it Add Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
i would like to share this article with you guys..here are 2 parts of it...if you want to read all of it, there is a link below...
found this quote.
If you're gonna bench race, at least start your brain.
.
Considering how much energy car people expend talking about horsepower and comparing how much they and their rivals have, there is a surprising amount of misunderstanding about how and where those horsepower numbers come from. While it's true that horsepower is horsepower, the circumstances under which it has been measured over the years has varied. To make a valid comparison, it's important to make sure you're using the same numbers for all cars.
.
Dyno Racing
We've focused on the F-body quite a bit because it makes for such an interesting case study, but this is not to say that General Motors has a monopoly on fiddling with horsepower numbers. "Tweaking" the numbers a bit is a common practice, especially in segments of the market where power sells, and amongst enthusiasts who have modified their cars but never put them to the test. At the end of the day, arguing about exact horsepower numbers leaves you with nothing but a day wasted arguing. You can't race a dyno; what matters is how fast a car can get down the track. If it can run the number, then the amount of horsepower it took to get it there, or how the horsepower was measured, won't change the outcome of the race. Next time someone tries to bench race with horsepower numbers, ask for a timeslip. If he can't deliver, then cut the conversation short and move on. He's not really in the game anyway.
.
the rest of the article is on.
From the Horse's, SAE Net Horspower, SAE Gross Horsepower,DIN Horsepower, Brake Horsepower, Kilowatts, Advertised Horsepower, Testing, Testing, Vapor Horsepower?..
http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html
I can see it now Mark -Sbutler and Firefox side by side with there G-TECH's measuring some WOW figures. :fly:
__________________
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE LEGEND THE GT is back

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
 
XRFPV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,021
Re: Horsepower: Making it Add Up



Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
I can see it now Mark -Sbutler and Firefox side by side with there G-TECH's measuring some WOW figures. :fly:
.
Hi Alex, it would be a big WOW
.
__________________





PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.


XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > Drag Racing Technique



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S.:2004 SAE World Congress,Automakers still hot on horsepower Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 03-11-2004 22:52
Torque and Horsepower 211 General Tech 9 06-21-2002 04:23
Horsepower race raging among automakers (US story) Falchoon The Pub 0 05-27-2002 20:24
Jag to report SAE horsepower ratings; Euro-only luxury group for Ford? Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 04-18-2002 06:50

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:08.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.