Ford Forums banner

How to get 14 secong 1/4 mile?

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
im thinking about getting an eb II XR6 or just a 4.0 falcon, what work can i do to the engine, to get into the 14's on the 1/4 mile. it will be a manual for sure.
is there any workshops that do packages for the 4.0 i6, i know jmm motorsprt do and their packages look tempting, the dev3hl especially, so what should i do?
what needs to be done to the engine?

#2 ·
You're on the right track, JMM stuff is decent. Crow and Wade also appear to be good from what others have said.

The JMM DEV3HL should easily get you into the 14 sec zone, just do a search on 'quikcorty' to see how much power you need.
He's run 14.6 with 135kw.
My DEV3HL package produces 138kw with a blown head gasket.

Rick.

#4 ·
STOKEB has done a 14.5 in his EB, he might be able to give you some tips :)

#12 ·
you could do it really cheap - get extractors and an exhaust, then tear out everything you possibly can - seats, door trims, heater box...anything you can to remove weight, and see how you go :D

but an EB XR6 is a good choice to start with - apparently the head flows 330hp stock.

i might be a bit biased when i say they are good though :D

#16 ·
Ahh! I LOVE THAT THREAD!

Weight reduction is so much cheaper than engine enhancements :p

If you're looking for the cheapest bang-for-bucks, Wade cams seem to be very good!

Extractors + exhaust (fitted) seems to cost a fair bit no matter what you do (perhaps second-hand would work out alright).. I paid $980, basically for exhaust + extractors (DEV1 from JMM), thats probably a bit more than I needed to pay.. Make sure you get good extractors though, they should come outwards from the engine a fair bit before curving off, and the pipe diameter shouldn't be MASSIVE (1.25" seems reasonable), as some people reckon the larger pipes just reduce exhaust gas velocity too much. Pacemaker race extractors would be my suggestion.

Gearing is also important. If you want the best take-off (which counts a fair bit when you're only going to go 400meters anyway), you'll want 3.45 or larger, but the manual tranny you have should be very helpful :)

But as I said, weight removal is cheap and easy :) Taking out carpet, dash components, spare tyre and stuff is all pretty easy, and you can then go for the passenger seat, rear seat, etc.. replace the front seats with a lighter, racing seat if you want..

If it is strictly for dragging, you can drop the weight immensly.. you might be able to have it running happily at 900kg, but you probably wont have any luxuries left (like doors and windscreen :p)

#17 ·
Was talking to a guy in a stock ED 5spd who pulled a 15.1 1/4 mile.

My suggestion would be wade cam, and extractors + zorst and a home made cold air intake. Will be a bit cheaper than a jmm setup. The XRs have 3.45 diffs, but not sure which model it came out on.

Also ive head that the SVO short shifter makes changing gears alot quiker, and it cost around $250

Heres the JMM site http://www.jimmockmotorsport.com give prices and expected power. Although i thought most of the figure used to be about 5-10kw less???

#18 ·
thanks guys for the info, i dont think ill be using the weight reducing methods coz it will be my road car as well, just want a fast one, i would love to be able to beat my dads series 3 TS50, his is auto and im guessing it would do 14.3 or so, so i wanna beat him.
how funny a $7 grand car beating a 70 grand car!

#19 ·
Didnt one of the t-series run a 13 odd second quater?

Let us know what u end up doing with your car.

Jase

#20 ·
the quickest time a t-series got im pretty sure was a 14.01 by MOTOR magazine. thats was a TE50 manual series 3, its lighter than TS50, my dads weighs nearly 1800 i think.
Yeh ill definetly let you guys know what im doing with my car, ill post pics and all that when its done to.

#21 ·
your going to need to go pretty hardcore with the engine mods to drop at least 1.2 seconds off the quarter mile time! i was under the impression you meant like 14.8 or so, not a flat 14! start with the earliest model poverty pac EA (they are the lightest) and put in a worked EF motor (port, custom cam, valvesprings/retainers/collets, chip) and 3.45 or 3.7 LSD and you might be getting close.

or you could get a EB XR6 and do a mild turbo setup, that would net you flat 14s or better.

but the ultimate power adder is NOS - illegal, also considered cheating, but its cheap and bloody effective!

#23 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Beastford said:
the quickest time a t-series got im pretty sure was a 14.01 by MOTOR magazine. thats was a TE50 manual series 3, its lighter than TS50, my dads weighs nearly 1800 i think.
Yeh ill definetly let you guys know what im doing with my car, ill post pics and all that when its done to.
sbutler's T3 ran a 13.5/13.7 with just an exhaust and intake, pretty good time for little mods

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.