Raced a VR SS auto today... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub > Track Kill Stories
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2003, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

Tongue Raced a VR SS auto today...

And i got absolutely flogged. Surprise surprise! It was a mates car, which was slightly modded to 200kw (at the engine), and it was an auto. We have our own private road, so it was legal and everything , but at the limiter, he had about 8 car-lenghts.

Is it possible for a modded 6 to beat these bloody things? Coz i don't wanna go down the performance route, only to learn i need to spend $10K (doing own work) to beat a bloody VR!

Oh, and anyone wanna sell a TO4 and plumbing etc? hahaha
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2003, 01:24   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Raced a VR SS auto today...

call capa, I hear a few extra psi will humiliate most SS's :s6:

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:35   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yes mate its easy...with the right stuff.

do you have a manual? what is your diff ratio?

get one of turbotranas EMS harnesses and an 8860 (or whatever it is) or a MAF sensor setup from XR9UTE (its a little more expencive, but has its benifits), then get your cam reground nice and lumpy, along with a proper exhaust.

if you want to after that, convert to the broad band manifold (like on EF onwards) which should help a fair bit too.

with a cam, computer and exhaust you should do well, even if you have an auto and a pov diff (like a 3.08) because you have an aftermarket computer you can get a much bigger cam than the stock comp will allow, and hence make more hp. the manifold will help as well.

if cam chip and zorst isnt enough, get a shorter diff (like a 3.7 LSD) and a slightly higher stall converter, one thats about 500rpm higher than stock.

the aftermarket computer (whichever you choose) has a secondary benifit, in that if you ever do get the cash to get a turbo or supercharger all you have to do is upgrade the fuel system, get whichever boosting apparatus you desire, get it plumbed in, and then reprogram to suit :s6:

i think 2k should get you a cam, computer (the 8860) and BBM, and you should have a very decently quick car.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

Yeah, i got me an auto with a povo diff ratio haha. I already got a catback 2.5", but that's it. I got $1.5K to spend so far, if i don't get wheels and tints. The head will be off in the next 2 or so months for a rebuild, so any suggestions there? All labor is free (and guaranteed coz my mechanic is dating my mum!) so i only have to fork out for parts (trade prices). Is it worth my while doing the manual conversion, or will a kitted auto (i've heard they are fragile tho...) do the job?
I had planned to get extractors and chip in about May next year, but what ones (extractors) are good value?
And i'm having trouble with the fan too, it always seems to come on before a drag, and it feels as though it saps half the power. It takes like 11.5s for 0-100 when it cuts in! Is a twin thermo conversion worth the few hunrdred bucks?

I guess my whole lot of crappin on and on and on, comes down to whats best bang 4 bucks!

thanks guys, any imput more than welcome! (be it constructive or othewise :)
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:27   #5 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

i reckon get a manual with 3.45 diff gear and thatll keep him honest if not beat him!!!.... i think!... well i know the XR can!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Thermo fans are one of the most worth while mods to do IMO. For me, it's not so much the power increase that impressed me, but the ease of workin on the motor as they are simple to unscrew, unplug and lift out, givin you ALOT more space to work at the front. Plus, have both turn on and you'll keep your car a lot cooler aswell.

Oh yeah, BBM is also a good idea, pretty easy to do on an ED as it's mpfi already. I haven't actually hooked up the dual runners, so I can't tell you how much of a power difference it gives...

Last edited by Rmyers; 12-17-2003 at 09:09.
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Yeah as mentioned above, its not real hard. Those things are lucky to run a mid 15 in stock form (5 speed). With a zorst, cam & gears a manual I6 will whip ass.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
get one of turbotranas EMS harnesses and an 8860 (or whatever it is) or a MAF sensor setup from XR9UTE (its a little more expencive, but has its benifits)
Rollin, could i get u too explain this a bit more, telling what each is and what it does basically?

Also what computers are u guys using? Every thread i read on em ends up in a arguement between the different types, and confusses the hell out of me :)

Cheers
Jase
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

I Killed a VR SS not worked auto around a year ago. There is a post floating around somewhere in the archives. I had my EB Series 2 with thermo fan conversion, Bigger intake, 2.5 inch Zorst and Outlaw extractors. Come to think of it that car would flog my AU hands down. What eve happened to that car I have not seen it driving around Geelong or on these forums.
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 14:44   #10 (permalink)

Bottle it
Wont last long, but will be great fun while it does :-)
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub > Track Kill Stories