1966 Ranchero 250\T-5 upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Ranchero
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 19:05   #1 (permalink)

1966 Ranchero 250\T-5 upgrade

A forum dedicated to Ranchero, nice!

In the process of installing a 250 Offy tri-power 6-cylinder backed by a T-5 into my 1966 Ranchero that currently sports a 200 w/ 2.77 3-speed. If I'm not mistaken, the 1969 Rancheros came with a 250 cu in motor. The motor mounts are the same on the 200/250s, but I think the 200 motor mount brackets might be too tall for the slightly larger 250. Anybody have any or know where I might find a pair? Anyone done a V8 upgrade and still have the 6-banger motor mounts laying around?

I'm in the process of gathering all the possible parts before I do a test fit to see where the shifter lines up, tranny mount, headers clearance, etc. Has anybody done this? I know of a few round body Falcons, Comets and Rancheros, but not a 66. A '66 Ranchero is the last of the Falcons, but the engine compartment and cowl sheetmetal looks identical up to the 70's when the Rancheros joined the ranks of the Torinos.

Thanks,
John
jahearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 00:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1966 Ranchero 250\T-5 upgrade

So far so good. I lowered the engine/tranny with a less than half an inch to spare between the crossmember and oil pan by using the bottom hole on the motor bracket bolting to the upper mounting boss on the engine thus lowering it by two inches over the stock mounts. Never did find a '69 motor brackets; still using the old 200 cu in brackets. The stock 289 bellhousing bolts right up the the 250 inline six as well as stock flywheel, but you have use one with removable weights because the inline sixes are zero balanced.

Now the real cool news: The Borg Warner T5 tranny from '79 to '93 Mustang practically bolts up using a stock cross member from a big block 1966 C6 or top loader. This should work for any T5 conversion for 1966 and 1967 Ranchero, Fairlane, Comet or Falcon straight six or V8. Other years probably work too.

John
Old 12-07-2007, 16:35   #3 (permalink)

Once I got the carbs dialed-in, everything is working smoothly except the idle. The idle leveled off a bit when I cracked open the idle circuits on the outboard carberutors, but it's still a shaker.

By increasing the accelerator pump shot on the center carb and removing the powervalves on the outer ones, I removed all hesitation and it has some serious low-end torque, but lacking in the upper rpm range. That could have to do with cam timing. Until an adjustable timing set comes available...

'66 Cyclone GT390
'66 Ranchero 250\T5
Old 09-01-2008, 11:31   #4 (permalink)

Did you use a V8 T5 or one from a 4 cylinder Mustang? Did the shifter location work out perfect?
PetesPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 19:31   #5 (permalink)

what pedals did u use,and how well did the clutch cable work out.
silvertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:51   #6 (permalink)

I used a World Class T5, V8 tranny and the clutch cable worked out great! I used pedals from '66\67 Fairlane or Comet Cyclone big block 4-speed car. The cable kit came from Ron Morris Performance and the pedals can be had from Perogie Enteprises. The shifter location was perfect for me because I'm tall and the seat goes all the way back for me.

Even though I'm running a six cylinder, it's the exact same deal for a small block V8 Ranchero, Falcon, Fairlane or Comet 66 thru 69 - not sure beyond that.

'66 Cyclone GT390
'66 Ranchero 250\T5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Ranchero