Timing- should I advance or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Ranchero
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 12:16   #1 (permalink)
Rat Ranchero

Timing- should I advance or not?

I've got a 351c 2V in a 74 ranchero that I just finished rebuilding. The double roller timing set I used has the option of advancing or retarding or setting the timing straight up. When I bought the set I had full intentions of installing the gears at the advanced setting, but the instructions gave a bold warning that doing this could make the engine run bad. According to a Ford performance manual the timming set on this motor was retarded at factory and could be advanced for better performance. I let the warning scare me out of setting the timing at the advance setting. My engine does not seem to have the pep I expected with the flat top pistons and summit cam. Matter of fact it doesn't break the tires loose as easy as it did. So should I go back in and advance the timing set or would that be a waste of time?
All I can remember on the cam from here is int. lift .509 and exh. lift .509 duration is .268 and it did degree according to the spec card. I added K.B. flat top pistons and the block is bored .030 over with stock 2V heads. I swaped the worn out C4 for a freshly rebuilt C6 because it was only 150.00 bucks and I heard it was better for pulling boats and trailers. I don't know the specs on the rear end. Switching to 93 octane allowed for faster timing and no clatter and mpg increase more than paid the price difference. My crazy ole cousin says to give it more time to break in as it only has about 750 miles... or is he not crazy? Anyway it still does not seem to launch quite as hard as before, but don't get me wrong, it runs like a dream otherwise and has very good speed.

I pre-sh-8 any help I can get.
Isaac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Timing- should I advance or not?

going with a bigger cam will sacrifice low end torque. along with a dual plane intake and headers, you might want to consider a stall converter to compensate for loss of low end power.

I'm not a pro but I have been through the same thing back in the day. I learned the bigger the cam, the more you have to add elsewhere to compensate for the shift in the power band.

I'll let someone else chime in that knows more about these issues
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:34   #3 (permalink)

Re: Timing- should I advance or not?

When I did the water pump on my Mustang I tossed a new chain in there too while I was at it,I know exactly about what your saying about advancing the timing chain.

I set mine to stock specs.Then I bumped up the timing using the distributor,I think I had bumped it all the way to 16 degrees and still could have went more.As long as it dosn't ping you'll be okay.

Worst case senario take it to a dyno shop, they'll squeeze some more out of it for yah.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Ranchero