221ci info, how to convert to Unleaded - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 16:21   #1 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

221ci info, how to convert to Unleaded

Hey all,

How would you convert a 221ci to unleaded, would it just be a matter of changing the valves and seats???

Cheers

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 04:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: 221ci info, how to convert to Unleaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPiston
Hey all,

How would you convert a 221ci to unleaded, would it just be a matter of changing the valves and seats???

Cheers
Basically, yes that's what you have to do, but if its a reco motor chances are the compression ratio will have increased. It is unlikely you will be able to run regular unleaded, you will need some sort of premium and/or an additive. You can also just add an upper cylinder lubricant to the petrol tank if you like.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:44   #3 (permalink)
Go the GT's

If the motor is ok, just stick in unleaded and use it. If you have to beleive all the B.S. that is printed by people trying to cash in on everyday peoples paranoia, then invest in a Flash Lube setup. It's probly the cheapest way to do it.
My 351 clevo has 4v big port heads, is set up as a pretty goey motor, has closed chamber heads and flat top pistons, so comp is pretty high. I use electronic ignition etc and Holley 750 vac. I have had no mods done to the heads to run unleaded, and have run regular 92 ulp and the 98's etc for 5 long, hard thrashing years with no problems at all. (upto 6500rpm type thrashing) and no additives, or upper engine lubricants.
My engine builder has a worked 351 clevo in his f100 truck, is on straight gas, has done mega klms, and done nothing at all to the heads(as like mine), and it is still going strong. Gas runs a lot hotter than ulp, and is harder on internals too.

Don't be a victim of all the hype and panic, it only helps the coffers who make the crap....

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 15:30   #4 (permalink)

Psst: You dont need a "Flashlube setup" just pour the stuff in the tank. You only need the dispenser when you are running gas.
Old 04-15-2005, 19:48   #5 (permalink)

Your engine will already run on Unleaded,but it just won't last as long as it would have on the old Leaded or Super as the Lead was a Lubricant for the Valves amongst other things as far as I know.That is why fitting Hardened Valve Seats is recommended and say Stainless Steel Valves. I think I have also heard of people using Brass Valve Guide Inserts for this conversion aswell? Chrome Moly Ring's would also help for Engine durability for this situation IMO.I have also heard that Unleaded Engines use lower Compression,but my friend runs his XC 6 Cylinder on Unleaded all the time with no problems and his motor is'nt Low Compression...So maybe that does'nt matter so much??Goodluck !!
lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 14:02   #6 (permalink)

u could run a fuel star which is installed into your fuelline before your carb it is like a canister with lead pinaccles in it ,as the fuel runs thru it picks up a bit of lead. quite expensive but probably cheaper than getting your seats and valves done
472gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 14:53   #7 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

I would most likely be running it on Vortex or Optimax any ways, but if it does eventually do damage it will be a good excuse for a V8 swap. Thanks all for the info.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons