Air conditioning dilema - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 22:48   #1 (permalink)

Air conditioning dilema

Hi all,
I have a dilema with my ac and would like some opinions pros/cons on the subject.
I have a factory ac in my coupe and have been debating if i should get it fixed (currently doesnt work) or remove it completely.
What is involved in both? How much does it cost to get re-gassed? etc.
Do the older ac units affect performance much?
I have never been a big fan of ac, prefer windows down, sunroof open cruising...hey i like the wind through my hair ok:-)
Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers.
xc hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2005, 00:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Air conditioning dilema

Air con units can usually be fixed by someone who has is really experienced in the game and knows what they're doing.
Factory air ?!?! Leave it in. It's as rare as rocking horse whataname.

Take it to a proper "spurt", get it checked out and a repair price.

If it's an old style York piston compressor, they take more power to drive than the rotary compressors. But then that's a good excuse to upgrade the engine power a little bit more.

Cheers
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 22:17   #3 (permalink)

I had a new york compressor fitted and a few other new bit plus the conversion to the "new" gas for $1000 5 years ago and it worked fine but the compressor has just seized so I'm getting it swapped for a rotary typein a couple of weeks. Will let you know how it goes.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 22:48   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc hardtop
I have never been a big fan of ac, prefer windows down, sunroof open cruising...hey i like the wind through my hair ok:-)

Cheers.
Oops. Didn't see that bit! You could always leave a/c internals in place, remove compressor and brackets, etc and put them in a safe place.
To be fitted later if required.

Cheers
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:41   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
I had a new york compressor fitted and a few other new bit plus the conversion to the "new" gas for $1000 5 years ago and it worked fine but the compressor has just seized so I'm getting it swapped for a rotary typein a couple of weeks. Will let you know how it goes.
Sounds pricey! I got everything NEW from firewall forward for $1150 fitted and gassed.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc hardtop
Hi all,
I have a dilema with my ac and would like some opinions pros/cons on the subject.
I have a factory ac in my coupe and have been debating if i should get it fixed (currently doesnt work) or remove it completely.
What is involved in both? How much does it cost to get re-gassed? etc.
Do the older ac units affect performance much?
Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers.
The York compressor will only last for 1 or 2 years (depending on how much you use it) with R134a gas. This gas results in much higher compressor head pressures than the old gas & the York's don't like it. You will also need to change the front compressor seal & all o-rings for the new gas, as well as the receiver/drier.
Best bet is to go for a Sanden or similar rotary compressor. Places like Repco sell conversion kits to mount them up to Clevo's.
Cheers.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:23   #7 (permalink)

Well, finally got the air-con fixed. Got a Sanden rotary pump, made an adaptor plate to suit the original mounting bracket, uses the original idler pulley for belt adjustment. Works great, better setup than the York compressor.

Old 02-19-2006, 16:39   #8 (permalink)

Tell me about this bracket you made - was that because the Sanden pump wouldn't bolt to the original FORD bracket?
I have factory air too and would like to fix/upgrade it.
I'm guessing my air has run out of gas - the pump seems to turn ok but there was no belt on it.
I have a spare aircond pump as well - another York - so looks like I'll have two white elephant pumps now!
How much was the Sanden rotary pump etc?
Peter_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 00:38   #9 (permalink)

The bracket is not fully visible in the pic. It bolts onto the original mounting bracket, the biggest problem is getting pulley alignment correct, but since you can buy ready made brackets that would be the way to go.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...012_edited.jpg
Old 02-20-2006, 16:51   #10 (permalink)

Great thread. I've got the same issue with my XC Fairmont Coupe. It has factory air but no belt on the pump. Has been that way for yonks so I'd imagine no gas at least, probably the pump is shot too. Will put on a belt and see what happens.

Do the rotary compressors tax the engine as much as the piston compressors?

Can anyone recommend a place in Melbourne to get it all working again??
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons