Alternator for an XB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2003, 17:51   #1 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Alternator for an XB

Short story : I have too much electrics in my XB and now the alternator (35amp) can't keep up.

Any recommendations on what I can run on my Cleveland?? Don't know if 55amp would do the job as I have these electrics in the car to run ;

1) low/high beam h1/h4's
2) heater fan (hi/low speed)
3) Wipers
4) Mallory 140 electric fuel pump
5) Electric seats
6) Aftermarket head unit
7) EL Falcon twin thermo's (hi/low speed)
8) Electronic ignition

I have relays running most of it but it still drains a 550ca battery relatively quick.

Reasonable rpm barely any electrics on it runs 13.4V. Turn everything on and it drops down to 11V.

Funny bit is with this alternator the belts don't fly off like the old alternator. Constant up hill battles argh!

Brenden
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 18:18   #2 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Read

If your going to keep your car for a while here is what I suggest.

Get rid of the 35amp alternator, buy yourself an 80amp alternator exchange from a sparky, and then buy an Odyessy battery. These battery are excellent, they are a gel pack, and can be mounted in any position. The initial cost of these batteries is what hits you. For what your after I would go for the 700amp battery. It will prolly set you back about $550-650. I cannot give these batteries enough praise, They have 700CCA's, are pretty much the same size as a normal 520CCA battery, and look pretty swank as well. Gold terminals, maintenance free as you could imagine and will certainly run everything you want to run in the car. But if you dont want to get the battery, up the alternator to a 80amp. The other thing is you may have to convert your system from external regulator to an internal one.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 03-02-2003, 18:48   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Do they make 80amp bosch alternators? I spoke to a few places local to me in Cranbourne. That'd be the go.

1st place said nah mate 55amp max and 2nd said the same.
3rd place in Hampton Park said they can adpapt a VN 5.0 100amp alternator to suit. I am weary of this as it used to throw belts. So if they stuff it up it'll start throw belts again.

Brenden
Old 03-02-2003, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by brenx
Do they make 80amp bosch alternators? I spoke to a few places local to me in Cranbourne. That'd be the go.

1st place said nah mate 55amp max and 2nd said the same.
3rd place in Hampton Park said they can adpapt a VN 5.0 100amp alternator to suit. I am weary of this as it used to throw belts. So if they stuff it up it'll start throw belts again.

Brenden
I had a 80 amp unit on my Cleveland for donkeys years. It did fail after about 8 years, however it was also regularly revved to 6000rpm.
I also never threw a belt, and if you are, then you have an alignemt problem or are using the wrong belt.
I'd personally go with the adapted 100amp unit, but make sure they set it up properly and make them guarentee it won't throw belts.

BTW, I had the 80 amp rebuilt and it went for another few years until I took the car off the road.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 19:42   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Problem is the 100amp is a totally wrong fitment. So it's all custom to fit it. Problems will occur. I can guarntee it.

My engine has done 8500rpm on 3 occasions on a dyno. The belts usually throw around 6300rpm+

Alignment isn't an issue it's finding decent pullies. I have the three grove setup.

This is what used to happen prior to putting the old alternator back on.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/brenx/100_1496.jpg

Swap to current alternator and the belt throwing issues are 100%gone.

A factory cased 80amp would be a better fitment.

Brenden
Old 03-02-2003, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally posted by brenx
Problem is the 100amp is a totally wrong fitment. So it's all custom to fit it. Problems will occur. I can guarntee it.
My engine has done 8500rpm on 3 occasions on a dyno. The belts usually throw around 6300rpm+
Alignment isn't an issue it's finding decent pullies. I have the three grove setup.
This is what used to happen prior to putting the old alternator back on.
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/brenx/100_1496.jpg
Swap to current alternator and the belt throwing issues are 100%gone.
A factory cased 80amp would be a better fitment.
Brenden
Factory case 80amp is a better alternative, yes. This what I had on my old ute.
However I still believe it has to do with alignment or perhaps the type of belts you're using.
We used to race drag race a Cleveland which had 2 belts to drive water pump and alternator and it hit 7500rpm 3 times on every run.
It never threw a belt.
We also only ran nornal V-belts, not multi groove.
It doesn't take much to throw a belt at those revs, so double check your alignment and make sure you are using the right belt for the pulleys.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:02   #7 (permalink)

You can go with the 80 amp but bosch also do a universal mount alternator that is 120 amp and basically fits right up alignment wise ,but the alloy case is only 50mm wide compared to the ford 75mm wide so you need a wider spacer ..I cant remember exactly but i think the extra spacer comes with it..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:21   #8 (permalink)

brenx - this is off the topic but I am interested in getting a Mallory electric fuel pump for my XF. I'm currently running a Holly Blue but I find it too noisy. What is the Mallory pump like? Is it quiet?
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:57   #9 (permalink)

The old trick was to get a 55A alternator and upgrade the stator to 80A.

One area you may want to consider is upgrading your wiring. Headlights benifit enormously from heaver gauge wiring with relays located close to the lamps and powered via a seperate fuse. Source good quality conductors and connectors. The H4 connectors can be bought new from Utilux stockists. You will also need to upgrade the power feed to the fuses for the other bits you have added.

Things like electric seats and power windows require a good quality battery as others have already said.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 13:57   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally posted by XAXEXF
brenx - this is off the topic but I am interested in getting a Mallory electric fuel pump for my XF. I'm currently running a Holly Blue but I find it too noisy. What is the Mallory pump like? Is it quiet?
A Mallory electric pump is atleast 50% quiter. I can't hear mine.

This is where mine is fitted on the XB

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/brenx/100_1492.jpg

Brenden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons