AUII excessively rough - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 03:19   #1 (permalink)
Loco

AUII excessively rough

My AUII Forte seems to transfer all the road impact straight into the car. You can really feel going over bumps and all. Even my mate mentioned it driving earlier.

Is this normal? Or is this the first signs of suspension giving way?

Should also mention, you can feel the car distribute the weight aswell. If I take a corner and immediately turn the other way (S bend) it'll make some sort of noise in the chassis...

Last edited by Bangers; 04-03-2004 at 03:28.
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 04:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: AUII excessively rough

Check the pressure in your tyres.

The thing I found when I had an AUII Forte was that if your pressure in your tyres is too high, you really start getting road imperfections/bumps and noise transmission into the cabin.

At one point, I used to run my tyres at 35-36psi, and the ride was very bumpy and firm. It was also more dangerous in the wet as less tyre tread is exposed to the road, and used to spin them all the time at the lights until I got rid of the Dunlop Monza's ( original tyres from the factory - absolute crap !) and got Goodyear NCT5's (silica based)

I then reduced them to 28psi (which I know is a little low), but very much gives you a softer ride. It makes your suspension and tyres work more - which can mean shorter life - mostly for your tyres, but for 5000km less, I'll take the softer ride.

I have a BA XR6T now, and its a hell of alot softer ! - was initially worried knowing that it has the XR sports suspension, but even with these settings - its very absorbent - never want to step into an AUII - not that their a bad car, but a little rough for me now that I'm used to the BA.

Anyway, try the pressure theory and see how you go...

Last edited by JamesA; 04-03-2004 at 04:15.
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 05:35   #3 (permalink)
Loco

Thanks, I'll check em. I know that my left rear is kinda low, but the others look fine.

What PSI should they be? 30?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:08   #4 (permalink)
Drift King

Have you had someone check the suspension components.. I had an AUII ute and after many people investigating they finally discovered it had a loose wishbone. Could feel a slight clunk when doing S bends occasionally. Problem was when it was up on jacks it appeared tight/normal.. it was only when they got under and checked it when the weight was on the wheels.
96Futura2.ABS.Low 2.5in on Lovells.17in rims.Fr&rear DBA slotted/vented rotors.Bendix Ultimates. Nolethane bushes in suspension.Fr camber kit.V8 Radiator.BW3.23LSD.Fair Ghia bonnet&lights,blu xenon discharge.bonnet vents.Custom GroupA fr spoiler(steel mesh inserts).XR side&rear skirts.Touring car wing.Lukey mandrel bent straight thru zorst.neons galore.K&N panel breathing thru bonnet vent.Killer sound system.Pretty Fly 4a White Falcon
2qik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 16:54   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
Thanks, I'll check em. I know that my left rear is kinda low, but the others look fine.

What PSI should they be? 30?
I Think the manual states 30 for normal conditions, and 34-36 for full loads.

You can run them at 28-29, but just make sure they are all the same pressure.
Old 04-05-2004, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Loco

omg. quickly popped into a petrol pump to check mine, and and rear left was on 10 psi. Look down, but not flat. At first I thought the pump wasn't on properly, but then I was in shock.

Pumped her back up to 34 and it was ALOT nicer, also made sure the others were on 34. Couldn't tell if it made a big difference though because the roads were very wet and it was pisses down coming back from the coast.

Will reply back on whether I still get the clunk doing S bends.
Old 04-05-2004, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
Bottle Feed Your Baby

is the clunk in the front end??? Au's had alot of trouble with the steering rack bolts comming loose causeing a clunk in the front end during repeated cornering......
Tighe custom grind camshaft, 75mm Throttle body, EGR Spacer, Head pocket work, 11.5 comp, SRP forged Flat tops, Autronic Computer, Pacemakers, twin Mandrel bent 2.5" Exhuast, custom mandrel bent 3" air intake, Tremac 3650, Lowered, 18"s Polished roll bar, intake Manifold, Shortend 4" alloy taillshaft, Leather, Momo wheel and gear nob, Autometer C2 5"shiftlight tacho, air fuel meter. 50-250hp NOS Kit, 4:11 Diff gears, 2 12" subs and sony amp,
NOS 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons