Bathurst Globes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2005, 02:50   #1 (permalink)

Bathurst Globes

Are these a bit sus, or it just me? Especially like the 'don't email me'

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....562730752&rd=1
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2005, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Re: Bathurst Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull
Are these a bit sus, or it just me? Especially like the 'don't email me'

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....562730752&rd=1
They look and sound like machined down safety lip globes, id imagine the outer lip would be significantly weaker as a result, they have also fitted 205 wide tyre which id imagine wouldnt put as puch force on the outer lip...
Opportunistic and dangerous to say the least...
Old 07-16-2005, 03:08   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't have thought that would be legal, trimming the lips off the rims like that.

Last edited by smally351; 07-16-2005 at 03:09. Reason: word missing
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:25   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They look and sound like machined down safety lip globes, id imagine the outer lip would be significantly weaker as a result, they have also fitted 205 wide tyre which id imagine wouldnt put as puch force on the outer lip...
Opportunistic and dangerous to say the least...
That is exactly what I thought. When Mr Mag had these rims done, I asked him if this mod was possible. He said that physically it could be done but you would be mad to as it would severly weaken the rim, that is, any real load and off pops the tyre - not a good look.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull
That is exactly what I thought. When Mr Mag had these rims done, I asked him if this mod was possible. He said that physically it could be done but you would be mad to as it would severly weaken the rim, that is, any real load and off pops the tyre - not a good look.

Paul
Its bordering on offensive what lengths some people will go to to make a buck off the GT scene..... Even if peoples lives are at risk.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:12   #6 (permalink)

The really stupid thing about these wheels is, anyone who knows to look for a flat lip would also know that the centre caps are wrong. The early ones were held on with screws....

Also, the amount of weights fitted to the one in the pic is enough to turn me off. Considering they have just been machined down, and are fitted with new tyres.

He probably would have been better off leaving the lips on and selling them as XD ESP wheels.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:27   #7 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
The really stupid thing about these wheels is, anyone who knows to look for a flat lip would also know that the centre caps are wrong. The early ones were held on with screws....

Also, the amount of weights fitted to the one in the pic is enough to turn me off. Considering they have just been machined down, and are fitted with new tyres.

He probably would have been better off leaving the lips on and selling them as XD ESP wheels.
Good point, XD Globes are still genuine Globe wheels, the only difference is the lips, they are starting to bring big $ in their own right.
Now they are worthless because they dont look 100% right and they're probably dangereous as a result of the removed material..
Old 07-17-2005, 00:39   #8 (permalink)

Well I supose if you have a trailered GT that never gets driven, or one that sits in a museum they might be OK, but its definately criminal and probably illegal to put those under a moving vehilcle. Some poor fool has bid $2000 for them as well.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:28   #9 (permalink)

I don't see a problem at all.The seller has declared what they are and has provided several clear photos.As for the "don't email me" maybe he has a life and doesn't live on the computer.
No,it's not me or anyone I know.
If,after all the info provided,someone still chooses to buy them that is their problem.
By the way,there was a set of the real thing in this week's Trading Post attached to a 302 XY Fairmont for $1000 and that bought the car as well.
Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 19:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P
By the way,there was a set of the real thing in this week's Trading Post attached to a 302 XY Fairmont for $1000 and that bought the car as well.
Did you buy it? Or were you the 6 millionth person to call?
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons