Bit of Advice needed! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 19:14   #1 (permalink)
dekoma arms

Bit of Advice needed!

can someone give me an example of, say, what they bought ..... and what they ended up with, how they went about buying an older car and what to look out for.
What are the most wallet lightening excersises you went through getting the car to A1 condition?
And where is the best place to look for an XB... been looking at the trading post, car sales... etc.. but are there any other places to search?

Hopefully this link works... this is pretty much the car I fall asleep thinking about every night! oh, except mine will have bonnet scoops! hah
DREAMER

thanks fellas!

Robert
sfr_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 19:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bit of Advice needed!

rust is your biggest enemy with buying an old car.
make sure there is no rust in the vitals cus that will suck your money up faster that anyhting.

also rebuilt driveline is always handy.
streaksinthesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 20:02   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Yup rust/panel damage and engine/trans issues.

Brenden
Old 01-04-2005, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Buff XC

everything in an old car will evantually need replacing long-term -> so as mentioned focus on rust / mechanicals / interior as critical points.

Work I have done to my car have included (and keep in mind I bought my falcon for $400)......
eg. new suspension recently, bodywork 3 years ago, engine change/rebuild 2 years ago, tranny swap 1 year ago....etc., etc., ......end result, my car is cheaper in general maintenance now than my parents AU and EA falcons!!! But something else will arise needing replacement/rebuild.....
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:21   #5 (permalink)
The Big Yellow Cruizer

Patience and knowing what you are looking for.
Paint is only .5 of a mm and can hide everything bad.
An original car not been done and most of the time unappealing first of ,but with hardly any rust is a good way of looking out for.
So, have Money ready and then Partience,Patience and more Patience.
Good Luck.
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:29   #6 (permalink)

Agree with all that has been said - unless you are a panel beater (or are good mates with one) bodywork will chew up a heap of folding. I don't mind a car with stuffed mechanicals as I bolting stuff in is no problem. But bodywork.....

There is no best place to find an older car....try everywhere. E-bay, trading post, classifieds, car yards (they generally push the old cars out to wholesalers) ....and keep your eyes peeled when driving around....it's amazing what you see for sale beside the road at times.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 21:43   #7 (permalink)
dekoma arms

thanks for replying guys!
going to find out on the condition of my brother in laws father's xb he has up at his house in rosedale... apparently it is a bit rusty in places.. but interior is a1 so get some photos back from him today!

I will let you guys know how i go with getting me a tight ride soon!
thanks

Rob
sfr_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr_rob
can someone give me an example of, say, what they bought ..... and what they ended up with, how they went about buying an older car and what to look out for.
What are the most wallet lightening excersises you went through getting the car to A1 condition?
And where is the best place to look for an XB... been looking at the trading post, car sales... etc.. but are there any other places to search?

Hopefully this link works... this is pretty much the car I fall asleep thinking about every night! oh, except mine will have bonnet scoops! hah
DREAMER

thanks fellas!

Robert
Robert,

you don't say what you intend to use the vehicle for? is it a daily driver, show car, weekend warrior? classic collectable? Your Budget?

These points are critical for your choice.
Another thing to consider is resale value, sooner or later (depending on what you buy or can afford) you'll probably want to sell it and change, again resale value is critical in your decision.

Economically there's no point spending 10K fixing up a 6K car to be left with something worth 7K...

My best advice is buy the best, rarest possible car you can, GT's will obviously hold or inprove their value far more than other model Falcons, so maybe look at an XBGT?
For 18-20K you'll get an average condition XBGT that shouldn't need much work at all and you could turn around in 12 months and probably get 22-25K for it the way GT prices are going.

From everything ive ever seen though the best value cars to purchase and hold their value are the cars that are looked after, remain close to genuine to their original specification and don't get molestered too much.

Nothing kills a classic vehicle's value faster than a color change or modernised customisation..

Good luck with your hunt!
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons