Bump Steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 16:06   #1 (permalink)

Question Bump Steering

I would love some help if there is any for me! I have a 64 Ranchero with a 250 six cylinder and automatic transmission. I have replaced all four control arms with ball joints, all four tie rod ends and sleeves, center link, idler arm and coil springs and monroe shocks. I had the car;s alignment done and according to the print out, it's on the money BUT when clipping along at speeds of 50 mph or more and I hit a dip, bump or R/R tracks, I still have a fairly good degree of bump steer. When it does this on certain bumps you can hear the right side tire actually squeal or at least that is what it sounds like. The only issue I had with the new parts was, the coil springs seemed to me to push the car up too high. Even after driving the car down the road, I could not push down on the front end like you would do when checking shocks to see if they are worn out. I contacted the spring company who ensured me they were the correct spring, they suggested cutting off one coil to lower it and give it some travel. I did this abd then had the car aligned but still have the squeal and bump steering. Does anyone have any ideas I could try to eliminate this? I really do not want to go to a mustang II rack and pinion set up because of the vale it would loss from not being original. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
sbw64ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bump Steering

I'm no suspension expert but the alignment shop should have checked the "ride-height" before even attempting an alignment.
Before arbitrarily cutting coils,you should obtain the correct ride height spec and check yours against it and then adjust as necessary.
That's all I can think of.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 14:08   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

If they were correct springs why was it thrown up so high ? Dont suppose there was any colour coding marking on springs you removed to check on springs supplied ? If you had to cut spring , make sure it is seating o.k .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:48   #4 (permalink)

I will see if I can find out what the height should be. The springs are what worry me the most though. I had no choice but to cut them because the company would not return them because they had been installed. When I recieved them I did lay them next to the springs that came out and they were close but to hard to tell if they were correct because the previous owner had heated them with a torch to lower the car. Thanks for your input and I will see about another set of springs. The car was also a six cylinder according to the vin and door tag but it has five lug spindles, is there a ford part number on the spindles that I can research what they came off of?

Again thanks for the information,
Steve
sbw64ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons