could it be true? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 03:10   #1 (permalink)

could it be true?

http://http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/...-_bonnets.html

look at the clay model for the 1968 Ford Maverick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 03:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: could it be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc

Can't get that link to work.
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:21   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/st...-_bonnets.html

try this one
Old 01-27-2006, 03:41   #4 (permalink)

Everything is very obvious about that page BUT the piece about the 68 maverick is VERY interesting and is the first I have ever heard of it. I do seem to recall that the first design of the XA falcon was done whilst the aussie designers were in the USA, but from memory that was around 1969(cant be sure). All car manufacturers have always ripped each other off, going with the trends, and very much with fords case, keeping it all in the family. And if this is real so much for the first "All Aussie" Falcon.
master_jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:44   #5 (permalink)

It seems more research is called for! Its like finding out after 35 years that you are adopted!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:00   #6 (permalink)

Both Ford and GM had world wide styling strategys. The XA Coupe was styled after the 69 Torino. The guy responsible was a Englishman, his surname was Ross. He also played a part in the Mk1 Capri. Just look at the XD Falcon, almost identical to the Mk2 Granada. GM were the same. The HQ looks like a mid 70's Vauxhall Viva on steroids.(Or the Viva is a shrunken HQ).

Fact is though, the XA is the best lookinking car ever

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
old B - new B

i guess that one good thing about baseing our designs on the cars from overseas is that they get the raw prototypes and we got the better styled more refined version.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:33   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
i guess that one good thing about baseing our designs on the cars from overseas is that they get the raw prototypes and we got the better styled more refined version.
Hell yeah! Learn from other peoples mistakes and sell the product bigger and better as your own, thats my motto. At least thats what gets me through life.
Old 01-27-2006, 19:16   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_jawa
Everything is very obvious about that page BUT the piece about the 68 maverick is VERY interesting and is the first I have ever heard of it. I do seem to recall that the first design of the XA falcon was done whilst the aussie designers were in the USA, but from memory that was around 1969(cant be sure). All car manufacturers have always ripped each other off, going with the trends, and very much with fords case, keeping it all in the family. And if this is real so much for the first "All Aussie" Falcon.
Those were the clays made sometime around 1968 for the new Maverick that arrived in late 1969 as the 1970 Maverick. The Aussie engineers were in Detroit at that time working with Ford US on a replacement for the XY. Ford US offered up the 1970 Torino and it was the Aussies that rejected the car as too big. There are some other pics of these Mav clays but it was this set that looked the most like an XA. If any of you have seen a Mav, then you know it looks nothing like an XA so these clays were not chosen for the final design. That was common back then as Ford would have several teams working on different clays. What these pics don't say is who worked on the clays. The Aussies were engineers not designers BUT that doesn't mean they didn't work with a design team to finalize the XA design. For all we know, these may have been XA clays that were worked up by one of the spare Mav teams. I say spare because the 1970 Mav arrived in October of 1969 which means Job 1 would have started sometime in early 1969. If that is the case, the clays would have been approved much earlier than Nov 18, 1968--that is the date on the pics. So, I speculate these were XA clays worked up by a Mav team working with the Aussie engineers and their ideas to come up with a XY replacement. Do I have proof, heck no but it makes for a plausible explanation.
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 19:51   #10 (permalink)

xafalcongs, sounds like a possible explanation only thing is like you said they were engineers not designers. Would be good to somehow track down the actual people responsible for the XA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons