Does Anybody Know What PowerChips are like ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2000, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
redwards

Does Anybody Know What PowerChips are like ?

Powerchip is a Melbourne company marketing modified ECU's providing "enhanced" power & torque.

Has anybody had any experience with thier product ?

For the EF/EL they sell an add on chip that plugs on to the service port on the ECU.

Id'e realy like to know, what are they like ?

On a Falcon 6 cyl that is, any improvements, what about economy, any draw backs etc etc.

Thanks - Frank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2000, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
gone

Powerchip

Yeah!.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Well!

That should answer it for you!!

Nah, just kidding go to any ford dealer and they will tell you that they are sick of pulling of cars that are older than 12 months.

Seems that a poor dyno and mapping can cause more harm than its worth....

I have an AU2 XR8, which does have apower chip, esential when other engine mods are performed. I would have prefered are more expensive option but did not have the 5grand lying around.

However, to get those extra kws, the Power Chip is esential
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2000, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
redwards

Powerchips

Thanks for your reply.
Since you have a powerchip fitted to your AUII XR8, well,,,,,,,,,, does it go better ?

Did you get the xtra herbs they promised ????????

What was the installation like ?

Did they butcher you car or look after it ?

Would you reccomend them ?

Your ECU needs a bit of a make over for that chip to work. On mine its a pluger inner on the expansion port on the ECU. I tried one, still got it (a SILVER one) sposed to take advantage of the cam & extractors as well as make the Knock sensor part of the ECU family to take advantage of premium etc. WELLLLLL it didn work, just buggered up things.

Thats why all the questions.

by the way, your AUII XR8 sounds great, is it as good as they say ???

Frank.
Old 12-22-2000, 22:59   #4 (permalink)
Red Barron

Power Chips

I have tried the plug and play chip also and was Ho Hum about the result. Best way to go is with a programable interface using a laptop to set up. Motec is the best but as stated above 5g's required, go with a unichip as the next best thing with money being tight.
Old 12-29-2000, 03:36   #5 (permalink)
gone

Powerchip

I was not really after the extra grunt initally on the xr as i realised the joy a chip would bring by playing with the old EB.

The over mapping will produce that extra grunt

Basically the instalation is hidden and there is no need to cut and tuck anything

Yes tried one of those add ons to the eb, what a load of crap, still have it in the office, use it a cup holder!

That xr kicks some serious ass! sounds great as well, can not thank herrod enough.

See it the tickford day with a little suprise under the hood :-))))
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 00:23   #6 (permalink)
Red Barron

A little somrthing under the hood

Oh yeah, that what we like.
Old 01-01-2001, 11:19   #7 (permalink)
redwards

whats the diff between powerchip & unichip ?

Lots of people talk about Unichip. Are they not the same thing as Powechip ?. Eg plug into expansion port on ecu ?

If you have used/have one etc, please how much, How do the fit, and what exact details can you give, eg how much increase in power, any increase in torque what model & engine (Mods), economy, would you reccomend them.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2001, 22:27   #8 (permalink)
Red Barron

Chips ahoy

Unichip is more than just a plug in chip (into the port on the EEC) it has the ability to be tuned by laptop computer and retuned with further modifications etc. Cost is around $1k and can be supplied by Herrod Automotive, some of our club members have used this system and I believe have no complaints. Give Herrod a call for their estimate on power increases but 10kw should be gained on a stockie.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:43   #9 (permalink)
cwarden

Chips

I have had 3 different chips in my AU XR6 HP. A Powerchip was the first one, that mob didn't tell me that the ECU had to be modified to enable the chip to work. Drove it around for a year THINKING it went better, got a refund after all of that. Next, I was promised a 20kw at the flywheel(approx. 13kw at wheels) with a Unichip, got only 6kw at the wheels. The car already had a set of H.M. Headers and a 2.5in straight through exhaust system on it. Again, I asked for a refund and got it, the Unichip was $1200.00. The present chip in my XR6 is a Chip Torque unit, they thought a 6kw gain at wheels was the go, they got me 9kw at the wheels and the car drives so sweetly through the gears(manual). The Chip Torque chip cost only $600 which included the dyno. I am though having a problem with it, it loses connection to the ECU board and car stops running. The people who installed it are working with me to solve the problem though. The car came in with 118kw max. and drove out with 127kw at the wheels, about 190kw at the flywheel.
Old 01-10-2001, 11:55   #10 (permalink)
redwards

Makes You Wonder.

Your experience with 3 different chip companies seems farmiliar. Glad Chip Torque came through. hopefully the will solve the loose connection problem. that could be very dangerous.

Those figures are quite impressive, what are your cars' 0-100 & 400 metre figures ?
Hows the feul economy city & Hwy ?

I soke to Ray Hudson at Crow Cams, they have developed a new cam for au/auii, and will soon release a new chip made to match the cam, but I think your setup is way past that already. The also have released a new cam gear sprocket, that replaces the stnd one and makes the cam timing variably adjustable so that you can advance cam timing. Dont know how that works much though.

Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons