Double up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 21:33   #1 (permalink)

Double up

These wheels do not keep getting more expensive they seem to double in price every fortnight
These wheels are probably worth more an ounce than gold
Hard to imagine these were worth jack shit back in the day and they disposed of them like toilet roll at the track
(oh what wheels i could have fit in a shipping container and sealed for 30 years problem was I was not bloody born yet)

http://www.australianmusclecarsales....athurst_globes
ford5061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 21:42   #2 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Re: Double up

well to me they're still worth jack shit LOL
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 21:48   #3 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

9grand. Bloody hell what bullshit. I'd be amazed if they could get half that.
Old 08-09-2005, 22:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33PY
well to me they're still worth jack shit LOL
What wheels would you have on a GTHO 3?
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 22:29   #5 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
What wheels would you have on a GTHO 3?
if i was in the market for a phase3 i would expect them to be on the car already. if not, they're not original are they? which, being original is what it's all about.
Old 08-09-2005, 22:45   #6 (permalink)

I have sold immaculate xb gs sedans for that sort of money
It is a sad day when wheels are worth more than entire cars
I don't mean to offend people but i cannot wait till this bubble bursts and the values plummet (i wish it would happen soon) then you watch all these investors sell their cars so actual ford fans and enthusiests can afford them again
I guarantee lots of cars are bought by people not even interested in the history of the model or even like of the car they just bought it as an investment to lock away till payday comes causing the prices to rise and the fans to miss out

go on say it
i am jeleous yes i am i do not have mega bucks to buy an over inflated priced car
ford5061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 22:50   #7 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford5061
I don't mean to offend people but i cannot wait till this bubble bursts and the values plummet (i wish it would happen soon) then you watch all these investors sell their cars so actual ford fans and enthusiests can afford them again
I guarantee lots of cars are bought by people not even interested in the history of the model or even like of the car they just bought it as an investment to lock away till payday comes causing the prices to rise and the fans to miss out

go on say it
i am jeleous yes i am i do not have mega bucks to buy an over inflated priced car
I reckon youve hit the nail on the head there mate. Its prices like these wheels that people will see and then put up the rest of the prices for wheels like 5slots and globes, when in reality they are not worth that much and us normal people are workin our ass off to afford the cars we love.
Old 08-09-2005, 22:53   #8 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:

go on say it
we obviously think the same except for the jealousy bit.
Old 08-10-2005, 00:48   #9 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Double up

They look like they've had a hard time! Early alloy wheels in Australia were made of some ordinary alloys and had short life spans. They were brittle and suffered creep cracking in the high stress areas.

Anyone wanting to use them would be recommended to have them professionally crack tested before using them.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

go on say it
How can you say that people that buy these cars are not Ford fans. To buy a car for pure investment does not make sense. People who have the cash to spend on these cars have it for a reason. And investing in cars is not that reason.

I invested 60k in a property 6 years ago. If I had bought a GT HO with that cash I would of doubled my money. A good investment NOT. I borrowed 40k from the bank and bought land for 105k. A block sold in my estate last week for 360k. thats a whole lot more than what I paid for mine. Take of the 40k I borrowed plus intreast, say 20k, means over 6 years my 60k has gone up 5 times.

Lets look at this investment GTHO 3 closely(numbers are aprox ball park).

Cost new in 72, 5k.
Value in 78/9, 8 to 10 k, new Cobra 5.8, 12k.
Value in 81, 15 to 20k. XD ESP 5.8, 21k.
Value in 91, 40k, EB GT, 55k.
Value in 97, 65k, EL GT 65k.
Value today, 100 to 120k, New GTP about 70k.

That means the net present value of my 5k in 72 is about 70k today. The investment took over 30 years to double. The numbers work out the same if you look at wages. A Fairmont was about a years pay in 72 and its about a years pay today, for the average guy that is.

These cars will only ever survive if they go up in value. I would not entertain spending 15 to 20k restoring a car if I didn't think I was at least going to get my money back.

If your going to wait for "the bubble to burst" then it will be a long time coming. When my generation is in the grave, about 30 to 40 years. Thats unless the economy dives and then we will all be in the poo.

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons