Ford Forums banner

Early falcon power steering options

27K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  lukeh 
#1 ·
hey everyone
i have heard of a few options for having power steering in an xm...but the main one is the rrs kit..it seems really expensive and there has to be other ways of doing it..does anyone know any other options of gettin power steering??
thanks
brendan

#2 ·
Hi 64
I too am weighing up the options regarding xm steering. I know the RRS kit seems quite expensive, but having seen one in the flesh, & talked to the RRS engineer/designer, must say I'm very impressed & will probably use their set-up when the time comes for me to pull the finger out.
Cheers
Warren

#3 ·
Guys
Castlemaine Rod Shop ( Hadfields old shop ) make a rack & Pinion conversion kit
uses new engine cross member with rack bolted to it

#8 ·
472gt said:
there is a guy who has a power steer setup 4 sale on www.trademe.co.nz under ford parts ,he has converted an EA rack and pinion 2 bolt up 2 the early falcons his starting bid is $60nzd might be worth checking it out.
sweet i will check it out and send an email too the dood about it...

fat289 said:
Guys
Castlemaine Rod Shop ( Hadfields old shop ) make a rack & Pinion conversion kit
uses new engine cross member with rack bolted to it.
any one used this before and is it noticably different??

lukeh said:
Could'nt an XA to XF Power Steering Box and Pump be fitted somehow to an XM Falcon?
i rekon i have heard or read this sum where but im pretty sure u need to change the column aswell...but that is no dramas!!

thanks for helpin out so far
brendan

#9 ·
64XM said:
sweet i will check it out and send an email too the dood about it...

any one used this before and is it noticably different??

i rekon i have heard or read this sum where but im pretty sure u need to change the column aswell...but that is no dramas!!

thanks for helpin out so far
brendan

Way to long for early bird ( xf type etc )
Hadfield kit will be a good conversion as all his kits are & will come with Engineers certificate for rego
no mucking about

#10 ·
472gt said:
www.trademe.co.nz>>>cars boats and motorbikes>>>carparts>>>ford>>>engines and drivetrain...... took me a while 2 find it again
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Ford/Engines-drive-trains/auction-25517372.htm

Hmmm. incomplete conversion...
If you go and search Stangnet for Rack and pinion power steering, you'll find that Conventional racks cannot be effectively adapted to X-series falcons. They're simply too wide across the ends, limiting the turning circle and imparting serious bumpsteer issues.... The Steeroids, randalls rack and Total Control Products racks use a central pickup point, as does the RRS rack.
The only factory fitment RHD rack i've ever seen like that is in a Lancia Beta...
Anyone got a piccy of the CRS kit? I'd be interested to know what rack they use...

Bish

#11 ·
lukeh said:
Could'nt an XA to XF Power Steering Box and Pump be fitted somehow to an XM Falcon?
Why yes it does but definitly not bolt in.

requires massaging inner guard drilling new steering box,idler arm mounts,cutting,shortening and welding XC dragink 1.5 inches
as well as lowering lower control arm mounts 3/4 inches to correct steering geometry.
it works nice but the box is huge and sits about 10mm away from drivers side cast exhaust manifold in an 302w XM application after grinding large chunk off manifold.
for the cost of getting it to fit/certified you would be better off with a RRS.
I think the rack CRS use is a modified comodore rack.

#12 ·
302xm said:
Why yes it does but definitly not bolt in.

requires massaging inner guard drilling new steering box,idler arm mounts,cutting,shortening and welding XC dragink 1.5 inches
as well as lowering lower control arm mounts 3/4 inches to correct steering geometry.
it works nice but the box is huge and sits about 10mm away from drivers side cast exhaust manifold in an 302w XM application after grinding large chunk off manifold.
for the cost of getting it to fit/certified you would be better off with a RRS.
I think the rack CRS use is a modified comodore rack.
Wow!!...I did'nt realise how much would be involved? I probably would'nt even bother with Power Steering in an XK-XP Ford as I don't believe Standard Manual Steering would be all that bad,even with a V8 Conversion?Much cheaper and easier to just say 'No' to that !!!

#13 ·
lukeh said:
Wow!!...I did'nt realise how much would be involved? I probably would'nt even bother with Power Steering in an XK-XP Ford as I don't believe Standard Manual Steering would be all that bad,even with a V8 Conversion?Much cheaper and easier to just say 'No' to that !!!

Have you ever driven an early falcon ????????????????
Steering box is 27 to 1 ratio
Get 1 a bit out of shape with a V8 & your in trouble as it is VERY hard to chase it with that ratio
CRS kit would be the cheapest alternative

#14 ·
fat289 said:
Get 1 a bit out of shape with a V8 & your in trouble as it is VERY hard to chase it with that ratio
XW/XY 16:1 steering box helps immensly... just get a 16:1 box out of a PS car and swap the manual arm onto it, only problem comes from Dipshits on Ebay marketing them as a GT box...

#15 ·
GammaBoy said:
XW/XY 16:1 steering box helps immensly... just get a 16:1 box out of a PS car and swap the manual arm onto it, only problem comes from Dipshits on Ebay marketing them as a GT box...

You have to respline the std XK/P pitman arm to suit the 16:1 box as the std pitman arm off the 16:1 box M or PS has wrong steering geometry

#17 ·
fat289 said:
That Ratio of 27 to 1 sounds okay to me?The Steering Wheels on them are'nt that small either which should help to lighten the Steering.I have'nt driven one for over 10 Years but I can't remember thinking they have heavy steering?I drove a 1962 Compact Fairlane for everyday transport on my 'P' Plates and even that did'nt bother me.To me a Power Steering Conversion in many instances is just another thing to go wrong or a potential 'Bolt on oil leak'!!

#18 ·
lukeh said:
That Ratio of 27 to 1 sounds okay to me?The Steering Wheels on them are'nt that small either which should help to lighten the Steering.I have'nt driven one for over 10 Years but I can't remember thinking they have heavy steering?I drove a 1962 Compact Fairlane for everyday transport on my 'P' Plates and even that did'nt bother me.To me a Power Steering Conversion in many instances is just another thing to go wrong or a potential 'Bolt on oil leak'!!
The problem with 27:1 is not the weight of the steering, but the fact that if you start getting out of shape you've got to wind on about 10 turns of lock to try to catch it... and more often than not it'll get away from you.
however, I can vouch that a 27:1 box fitted with ram PS sucks some major ass.ultra light with no feel, and a million turns lock to lock.
The 16:1 box is way better (think it gives about 3.5ish turns lock to lock?), but i gotta say the late model, low capacity ps pumps suck really badly on a ram system. You can fairly easily out run the assistance (wind on lock faster than the pump cam supply the ram) and when the steering goes dead heavy on you suddenly it can get hairy...

#19 ·
I had an EA Fairmont that had Power Steering...I did'nt mind it in Car Park's and stuff,but I hated it on the Road.You don't have much choice with some Car's like my old EA Fairmont...I could'nt really take the Power Steering off,or my old 1966 Galaxie I had...Power Steering was pretty compulsory in that as it was just so damn big and heavy? I definately would'nt fit Power Steering to a Car though if I thought I could get away without it.The 16M Steering Boxes fitted to Falcon GT's I've found are a bit to heavy through Roundabouts and stuff and IMO are better suited to a Track.The 20M Falcon Steering Boxes are still probably a little heavy sometimes,but overall weigh in as a fairly good all-rounder in my experiences !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.