Early Fords and wheels...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What's your wheel size preference for early Falcons?
Old school wheels 14 and 15 inch. 55 74.32%
New school 16 inch plus. 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 07:18   #1 (permalink)
low n' loud XY351

Early Fords and wheels......

It's something that makes me cringe.........Old school chrome 14X8 12 slotters on slick looking old fords. Sorry guys but I think it's time to give them up.
Now don't get me wrong I love to see a nice set of genuine 12 slots with caps and trim rings especially with red/white walls if you are going for a genuine look.
But for hecks sake get out of the 70's and 80's and move on! I've seen some absolutely stunning XR-XY's with 17's and 18"s which makes peoples heads turn off their shoulders and I just can't understand why there's this persistence with the humble old chrome 12 slotter.......What gives?
The benefits of having the tyres these rim sizes offer is awesome too. My XY (with 17's)corners tons better than it ever did with the 14 inchers on it.
Help me understand...........................
DRTY HO
lownloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 07:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: Early Fords and wheels......

I completly agree with you, ive got some 17"ba xr8 style rims on my ED which will hopefully go onto my XM ute at some stage should look sweet. But in saying that it was pretty hard finding a decent rim above 15" in the pre AU offset, there was a choice of some factory alloys which in pre AU i think are pretty boring or a couple of ugly 16s and 17s i was on a bit of a budget of bout a grand but if i had an AU BA there is a hell of a lot more options. So I would say one of the reasons could be a lack of options. As allways its everyones choice on what they want but a set of big rims (tastefully done) just kooks awesome
xm250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08   #3 (permalink)

I agree with putting bigger wheels on old cars. But putting new style wheels i think is a sin. AU and BA style copies on old school cars XK to XC look s**t in my opinion. If going bigger go billets or at least something chrome with a deep dish. I'm seeing to many nice old cars with flat silver painted wheels getting around and it make me want to cry.
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 15:34   #4 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

15" rim is the largest I think for an old falcon. Having it 8" wide on the front and 10" on the back looks the best I think....
Or for someone with my modest budget - 7" on the front and 8" on the back.

I've got no problem with people putting large wheels on their cars, but to me originality or 'look' of originality is important. It gives the car more character, rather than make it look like a wanna-be skyline.
Old 05-05-2005, 16:36   #5 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

yeh, i need to update my 30 year old GT to the fully sic 20" billets, man

i voted 14 & 15. i think it's the style of the wheel thats most important, not the size and there arn't many new styles that suit older cars.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 16:59   #6 (permalink)

Old cars are exactly that,... Old, and because of that they have what I would call "Classic Lines", or Classic Styling". To mix this look with new wheels, depending on which one's of course, can seriously make a car look confused. Some people just like to retain the look of the era. If the car has been built with with a classic retro theme troughout, then the mix is generally good but to put new, flash 17" wheels on an ordinary 70's falcon imakes the car look odd IMO. Every has different tastes so at the end of the day, each to their own. As for twelve slotters, thay must have been the most popular rim of their times and are still being made now. They came out on a lot of Ford's collectable cars which makes them a popular choice for owners who want to keep their car true to their heritage.
At the end of the day, if you like that look of old meets new, go for it but don't question other peoples choices because you choose to do something else.
Old 05-05-2005, 17:13   #7 (permalink)

Cant beat 15 inch Bathurst Globes
Snake Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 17:18   #8 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Old style wheels for me, please. New wheels just don't look right to me on any Falcon (or derivative) that's XC or older. Besides, 15" is plenty - you get cheaper tyres too!
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 17:26   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud
It's something that makes me cringe.........Old school chrome 14X8 12 slotters on slick looking old fords. Sorry guys but I think it's time to give them up.
Now don't get me wrong I love to see a nice set of genuine 12 slots with caps and trim rings especially with red/white walls if you are going for a genuine look.
But for hecks sake get out of the 70's and 80's and move on! I've seen some absolutely stunning XR-XY's with 17's and 18"s which makes peoples heads turn off their shoulders and I just can't understand why there's this persistence with the humble old chrome 12 slotter.......What gives?
The benefits of having the tyres these rim sizes offer is awesome too. My XY (with 17's)corners tons better than it ever did with the 14 inchers on it.
Why get out of the 70's? That's when my car was built and I like it's style .The 70's style wheels complement the car

xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 17:40   #10 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud
Hey mate would love some picks!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons