Generator to Alternator Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

Generator to Alternator Conversion

Hi all. I currently have a 1964 Ford Falcon Convertible that was given to us by a family member. It is in ok condition but needs some work. The motor is a small block V8 and currently runs a generator. I was curious if anyone could give me advice about converting it to run an alternator. I know that an alternator would be more efficient but would pump out more power than the original generator. I was wondering exactly which parts I would have to buy for the conversion and whether there are any manuals out there explaining the process step by step. Would I have to replace the generators' voltage regulator? And what type of alternator is best for the conversion. Thanx for any advice.
64FalconConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion

Most alternators run an internal voltage regulator. The best option would be to get an alternator from a later version of the same engine. Compare wiring diagrams from the two models to see which wires go where afterwards, I can't remember the details (which was from a different make car) but it is not difficult.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 00:44   #3 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion

hi,

I just converted my old 66 falcon external regulated alternator to an internal 85 amp alternator.
It was straight forward :)

you can even have the old one if you want it :) I was going to chuck it in the bin...

I just ripped out all of the old one and put my new one in.

Instead of having a whole heap of wires to hook up, there is just one, that goes to the battery and then a wire for the alternator light and that is it.. ohh I lie, there is also another one that goes to the battery to sense the voltage.. (Ie 2 to the battery)

I cant see it being that hard to do the same for a generator.

All you would do would be to take the whole lot out and then when you put in the new alternator put one thick wire to the starter (or straight to the battery) and one other one to the battery and then the final one to the light in the cabin and thats it..

The only problem I had was that the shop that sold me the alternator gave me one with the off set slightely wrong, so I had to modify my bracket to suit the alternator.

Bosch have an alternator to suit just about every application. Go and see a good electrician or if you want I can give you a ring... They have lists of offsets etc so they can supply custom alternators with ease..(so I think :) )

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons