GXL values now and future - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 00:36   #1 (permalink)

GXL values now and future

I am thinking (just a little) of selling one of my GXL's. The one I'm thinking of unloading is a white,2 owner '78 351, FMX, 9", 4wd, air, straight gas. Everything works 135,000km's it's not concorse as it's driven daily but is still very nice. What worries me is that in 1987 I sold a immaculate 1969 XW GTHO for 17k thinking they wouldn't go much higher in value. I paid 9k for it in 1985. Is there a chance these 351 GXL's will be worth something in the future or are they doomed to live in the shadow of the GT's for ever?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Re: GXL values now and future

Well it will never be a GT, but its the closest thing to one in the xc range bar cobras, an we all know they are way overpriced. All the older cars are getting more valuable as they become rarer....If its a good clean car then its worth a bit, even tho its an xc. If you expect GT prices or the stupidity of Cobra prices, then you will own it for a long time. There have been a fair few gxl's floating around for sale of late and the good ones get good money, an seem to sell fairly quickly, an the crap ones seem to end up with people who have way less sense than money. This latter statement seems much more prevalent with coupe purchases than sedans......
At a wild guess, you definantly shouldnt lose any money on what you initially paid for it, (that is just a wild guess as I havent seen the car).

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
I am thinking (just a little) of selling one of my GXL's. The one I'm thinking of unloading is a white,2 owner '78 351, FMX, 9", 4wd, air, straight gas. Everything works 135,000km's it's not concourse as it's driven daily but is still very nice. What worries me is that in 1987 I sold a immaculate 1969 XW GTHO for 17k thinking they wouldn't go much higher in value. I paid 9k for it in 1985.
If you look at the interest in any thing from that period it has gone up in price. I guess it will depend one the market at the time you want to sell. You should get more than $9,000 for it.

Quote:
Is there a chance these 351 GXL's will be worth something in the future or are they doomed to live in the shadow of the GT's for ever?
I don't think they are doomed so much as looked over for the Cobra. If it was me i know which one i would buy and it wouldn't be the Cobra. Now there is a car that is well over priced and i don't care what you say they where and always will be a marketing flop. At least they didn't have to give the GXL some stripes to sell it.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:11   #4 (permalink)

Anyone who wants mine it's for sale for $15,000 negotiable. Spent over $20,000 on it two years ago, drivetrain, big brake conversion, billet axles and new Simmons. Hardly driven since, rego til Nov '06.
http://gallery.fordforums.com/showga...00&ppuser=7503
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22   #5 (permalink)

[/QUOTE]At a wild guess, you definantly shouldnt lose any money on what you initially paid for it, (that is just a wild guess as I havent seen the car).[QUOTE]

I paid $4,000 for it of the original owner (86 years old) with 85,000k's on it in 1995 then rebuilt the engine even though it was still fine as I wanted everything to be spot on as it tows the other GXL to the drags, and set it up for straight gas and it hasn't given any trouble at all since. As for the Cobra's I don't want to offend anyone but when they were new people thought of them as a wank.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:15   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Anyone who wants mine it's for sale for $15,000 negotiable. Spent over $20,000 on it two years ago, drivetrain, big brake conversion, billet axles and new Simmons. Hardly driven since, rego til Nov '06.
http://gallery.fordforums.com/showga...00&ppuser=7503

I'd rather buy yours than this one for $25,000 and it's only a Fairmont.

http://www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/74155

JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:21   #7 (permalink)

As for the Cobra's I don't want to offend anyone but when they were new people thought of them as a wank.[/QUOTE]

Your right there, back in the eighties you couldn't give these things away there was nothing special about them with the motor putting out a neck breaking 165kw!!! for a 351 Cleveland and now you can pay more than 50 grand for them, it's farken unbelievable.

JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28   #8 (permalink)

no p/s! no a/c, $25,000!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30   #9 (permalink)

fairmont GS? probably 20:1 steering box, mmmm nice.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
I am thinking (just a little) of selling one of my GXL's. The one I'm thinking of unloading is a white,2 owner '78 351, FMX, 9", 4wd, air, straight gas. Everything works 135,000km's it's not concorse as it's driven daily but is still very nice. What worries me is that in 1987 I sold a immaculate 1969 XW GTHO for 17k thinking they wouldn't go much higher in value. I paid 9k for it in 1985. Is there a chance these 351 GXL's will be worth something in the future or are they doomed to live in the shadow of the GT's for ever?
First thing, I hate gas, gas is for BBQ. Second, I love GXL's. I had a 77 Neptune Blue 351 auto with the works. fast glass, big tank etc. Stolen and recoverd it wasnt the same car after that. I now have, in its place, a Neptune blue XC Fairmont coupe (needs restoration). I think Ford made a big mistake not selling GXLs in 2 door form. Having said that, the Fairmont GXL with the "GT Power Pack" option (351 CId 4V) will always have a place in my heart. It should of not ever been sold with the 4.1 let alone the 4.9 engine.

Steve (who has had too much to drink)
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons