Has Anyone Added A Unichip To Thier Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2001, 14:58   #1 (permalink)

Has Anyone Added A Unichip To Thier Xr8

Hi,

I am thinking of adding a Unichip to my XR8 and I was wondering what type of performance upgrade it has made and has it effected the fuel economy of the car.

I have had a quote of $1150.00 from
Croydon Auto Sports at Silverwater and they claim a improvement of 15Kw improvement at the wheels.

Regards,

Peter.
pmurgatroyd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2001, 23:13   #2 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi Peter,

I am getting a UniChip in my XR8 in the next 3 weeks. I will put the dyno results up here.

I am getting mine done through Croydon Autosports, and they have said I should get a minimum 15Kw increase (possibly more cos the chip will be programmed to suit the mod's I already have)

:-)
Kelli S
XR8chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Slim

Hi Guys,

know a customer at work. mate Joe built up this car. Fairmont Ghia EL. It has 70MAF, 65mm Throttle, extractors and a Unichip. This is a VERY nice car to drive! Its only series 1. Like to see it with a better uppe rand lower manifold.

I'd say you guys will see about a 7-9kW difference, but makes the engine rev so much easier.
Old 02-26-2001, 15:31   #4 (permalink)

Hi all,

Ok I don't have an 8, but I will share my experience with my XR6. I got the Unichip done on my XR6 3 weeks ago. I had it tuned on
Standard Premium Unleaded and not Optimax, because I don't always have access to a Shell station when driving. According to Croydon Auto Sports Dyno, Peak Power increased from 124Kw at the back wheels to 132kw ( a jump of 8kw)(The car has a full Herrod Motorsport Exhaust and Crow cam) However, this doesn't tell the full story...at the low end and top end the power difference was as high as 15kw at the back wheels..which is very noticeable under kick down acceleration conditions. However, better than this is the fact that I now get around 35Km more per tank.

ps: Its interesting to note that C&Vs dyno recorded my car as having 129Kw at the back wheels prior to the Unichip, whilst Croydon Auto Sports recorded 124Kw at the back wheels prior to the unichip. Both dyno curves were however the same in shape...Hmmm
ALEX EL XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 17:37   #5 (permalink)

I am looking at this option and was going to ring in the next couple of days for a quote. I take it UNI CHIP is the way to go?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Slim

Any you XR6 guys got the latest AutoSpeed newsletter? Checked out the Xr6 with 152 rear wheel kW? Nice!

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0846/P_2/article.html
Old 03-01-2001, 17:27   #7 (permalink)

Is the following statement correct:
" An engine management chip, like Unichip is only as good as the bloke with the PC doing the install"
Comments?!!!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 19:11   #8 (permalink)

Kelly and Alex,

I would be very interested in the results of the Unichip. Kelly, are you going to have a dyno before and after the Unichip?

I also had a quote from Croydon Autosports, but I would like to know if the power is reliable,drivable and how it effects the fuel economy. They told me that the economy would be improved from standard engine management system, with a 15Kw improvement at the back wheels or 19.5Kws at the crank.

Let me know how you get on!

Peter.
Old 03-04-2001, 03:16   #9 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

Yeah - I am getting the car Dynoed before and after the chip. I am really interested to find out how much power I have with the existing mods.

I have also been keeping a track of my Km's/litre over the last couple of week's to see if there is any increase, or decrease in economy after the chip (although getting 723Km's out of one tank on the trip up from Melbourne will sorta throw my figures off.)

:-)
Kelli S
XR8chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 13:40   #10 (permalink)

Kelly,

That's great, this is the only real way to find out if the Unichip is worth the money. Could you please keep me informed on the outcomes. If it works for you I will get one also. Thanks

Peter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons