Ford Forums banner

Help ID'ing an XC for sale

3K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  JG33 
#1 ·
On side of road. A yellow and black XC. Look inside and badge on the gloovebox reads fairlane. It has square headlights. Done 142,554 kms. It has a 351 V8, 9" Detroit Locker, C4 Tranny, Power windows. on the rego sticker it reads JH23TC22408C. Can anybody decode that. I know the JH means it was built in Brisbane. But what about the rest. It also says on the rego sticker under model. Falc77a

The ford badge on the front is on the bonnet so it is an XC series 1 not the update. It also has twin exhaust appears factory.

Just wondering if this is a fairmont and not a fairlane. The window board reckons its been ground up retored so maybe they put fairlane badge on instead of fairmont. I was hoping this was a GXL.

Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Just had a bit of a closer sticky at it.

Owner dosnt seem to know alot about the cars and is a young fresh outa schooly who seemed to have enjoyed tinkering with it for fun. Engine not original but still 351 clevo.

My issues are with the body. Some rust in usual places and the spray job that has been done on it is a little dodgy. Backyard job unfortunately with overspray of the yellow onto the black portions. It was resprayed in some GT styling. Looks good from distance, not so good up close. The gap between the front quarter and the drivers door is quite large, you can slip your thumb in it, on the passenger side gap is normal. Also at bottom of said gap on drivers side the quarter panel is a good few centimetres out from correct alignment with the drivers door. So Id say shes been in an accident. I asked him why the fairlane badge on glovebox when it has farmont headlights, he didnt know. But later told me it was an original GXL. So not sure if front end was ****ed by smash and they replaced it with GXL front bits. Sills on car are pretty ratty also. Didnt get as far as checking the compliance plates as I was already sure this wasnt going to be my car. But got him to take me for a spin anyhow. Car goes alright if not very rattly. Dash especially, but I spose that is to be expected of a car so old.

Its been converted to gas. The gas cylinder is in the boot and the valve for it is also just laying in the boot. So to fill it up you need to pop boot grab the valve and hook it up to the pump. Not a great way of doing things. From what I saw of the boot it looks like it has some rust under the window in the boot.

Owner reckoned it is a original GXL which I am thinking it probably is, but on the dash is a fairlane badge. The dash is in pretty good condition. He reckoned the C4 had been completly rebuilt, Does the original covering for the C4 in the centre console section have a silver metal appearance? The trim inside is pretty ratty so all new interior doors, roof lining and probably seats would be needed. The speedo reads only 140 odd thousand K's done by the chasis but it looke like more than that by the appearance of the interior.

For 6500 bucks Im just not convinced it is worth it. Could buy this and easily spend another 5 grand doing it up or just spend another few grand and buy a GXL or GS in much better condition.

So. Its a no from me to this one.
May post pics in here as evidence to my ravings.

Your thoughts on the above welcomed.

#5 ·
That car is not a GXL with that code. 6 grand sounds a lot for a bodgy car. Walk away.

Steven B

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I had already decided to walk away. Considering the price tag and amount of work involved. Not to mention the inconsistencies.

Anybody have any decent XA/XB/XC Coupes, GXL's, John Goss Specials etc they want to part with. Id be looking for something I can take to car shows etc and otherwise leave covered in my garage.

#9 ·
Black EX-R6 said:
Thanks for the advice. I had already decided to walk away. Considering the price tag and amount of work involved. Not to mention the inconsistencies.

Anybody have any decent XA/XB/XC Coupes, GXL's, John Goss Specials etc they want to part with. Id be looking for something I can take to car shows etc and otherwise leave covered in my garage.
Still wouldn't mind seeing the pics though
:wnc:

There's plenty of better sounding cars than this one at cheaper prices.

#13 ·
Black EX-R6 said:
Thanks again for the advice. Wulos has the pics. I borrowed his camera to check out the XC.

I will PM him and see if he wants to put some pics up here.
Looks nice from a distance.
Will look at posting some pics later on when I get back home (Pics really do make car look somewhat better then it actually is.....)

#17 ·
nak302 said:
great looking car, xcgxl.
thank god for that, i thought i was the only one in here that kept a stocky:angel:
Stocky? Not anymore. Did you see the pics of the engine bay? There's 267 rear wheel HP worth of Clevo in there. The stock wheels are gone now and the 12 slots wont be far behind them. I might post a pic of it with the new wheels if i get brave enough. The bodywork and trim will remain stock because that's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it! I have a room full of NOS jade green cloth, vinyl and piping, and headlining if anyone knows a good trimmer (in Sydney) who can do the job????

#18 ·
Wulos said:
A couple of pics
I wish I could get MY driver's side wiper arm to park that close to the bottom of the windscreen, maybe I have the wrong one. The blacked out bits around the wheel arches etc looks like a rust job. If they reckon its a GXL look for the JG32 on the compliance plate and left hand shock tower. The silver handle on the drivers door looks odd, nothing a can of black spray paint wont fix.

#20 ·
JG33 said:
Nice car you got there xcgxl

Love GXL's, lowering them and a nice set of wheels is all you need to make them a one very sweet ride.

Is that yours? Very nice also! Is that an original colour? Looks great. I think I will lower the front of mine another half inch. Do you have the same size tyres front and back? That's the way I have gone also. My new tyres are 245/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1s. I have had them for a week and they are yet touch road!

#23 ·
xcgxl said:
Is that yours? Very nice also! Is that an original colour? Looks great. I think I will lower the front of mine another half inch. Do you have the same size tyres front and back? That's the way I have gone also. My new tyres are 245/45/16 Goodyear Eagle F1s. I have had them for a week and they are yet touch road!
It used to be mine 4 years ago, biggest mistake I ever did was selling it, regretted ever since.
Colour is original called Neptune but it originally had a black vinyl roof.
I bought the car from a one owner who's wife just drove it to the shops down the road and had 102,000k's for only $2800.
It had a few small dents, paint scratches and two small rust spots about the size of a 20c piece in the two front doors and a torn vinyl roof.
Interior was in excellent condition....this bloke really looked after it.
I had it repainted, front suspension done, and rebuilt the engine as it had lot's of thick sludge in it due to not getting then engine warm enough.

Tyres were the sames size 245/50/14 with 7x14 front and 8x14 rear hotwires.

#24 ·
JG33 said:
It used to be mine 4 years ago, biggest mistake I ever did was selling it, regretted ever since.
Colour is original called Neptune but it originally had a black vinyl roof.
I bought the car from a one owner who's wife just drove it to the shops down the road and had 102,000k's for only $2800.
It had a few small dents, paint scratches and two small rust spots about the size of a 20c piece in the two front doors and a torn vinyl roof.
Interior was in excellent condition....this bloke really looked after it.
I had it repainted, front suspension done, and rebuilt the engine as it had lot's of thick sludge in it due to not getting then engine warm enough.

Tyres were the sames size 245/50/14 with 7x14 front and 8x14 rear hotwires.
Definitely looks better without the vinyl roof. I believe the vinyl roof was standard on early GXLs, and notes I have say it was mandatory on later models if a sunroof was fitted?? I prefer them with body coloured bonnet scoops (as original) but everyone else tells me they should be BLACK. I also HAD to have the bump strip down the side as well, but most people don't like that either.

#25 ·
#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.