Help needed in buying xa, xb, xc coupe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 09:41   #1 (permalink)

Question Help needed in buying xa, xb, xc coupe

Gday all,
I need some help in deciding the best buy between xa-xb-xc hardtop, as I am currently looking for one to buy in Oz for my return home but have not had to much experience with them. Out-wardly (apart from lights) I cannot see much of a difference and would be looking for a manual 351

I have had a few fords in my time and the car I sold to move to the UK 10 years ago was a 64 xm futura coupe. But I am now looking for something with a bit more muscle and grunt.
I would be using it mainly on the weekend and the wife might… have to drive it (no, don’t really trust her) if I have to take the family car to work.
My old man keeps on saying its impossible to see out the back window and with out power steering could turn the wife off driving it...
Any other info on owning or the difference between models apart from appearance (not sure I like the square headlights on the XC).
Also would like to know if there is a difference in price between buying and maintenance?

Thanks for you help

Adam
Kpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 10:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help needed in buying xa, xb, xc coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpie
Gday all,
I need some help in deciding the best buy between xa-xb-xc hardtop, as I am currently looking for one to buy in Oz for my return home but have not had to much experience with them. Out-wardly (apart from lights) I cannot see much of a difference and would be looking for a manual 351

I have had a few fords in my time and the car I sold to move to the UK 10 years ago was a 64 xm futura coupe. But I am now looking for something with a bit more muscle and grunt.
I would be using it mainly on the weekend and the wife might… have to drive it (no, don’t really trust her) if I have to take the family car to work.
My old man keeps on saying its impossible to see out the back window and with out power steering could turn the wife off driving it...
Any other info on owning or the difference between models apart from appearance (not sure I like the square headlights on the XC).
Also would like to know if there is a difference in price between buying and maintenance?

Thanks for you help

Adam
XC coupes came in TWO models only 500 and Fairmont, both with the GS rally pack. The Fairmont is the one with the square lights so its the one to avoid. Hope this helps. if you get an XA or an XB you can get a GT model, if you have the $$$. As the balmy army sings "we got three dollars to the pound", lol
Old 07-15-2005, 10:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info but even if it was $3 to the pound I still would not be able to afford a GT, they seem to have soared in price over the last 10 years.
If poss can you tell me what the rally pack gives you? and do all coupes have buckets?

Hard as a lot of the cars these days have been molested and made in to mongrels or fake GT, although I would not complain as I am not a perfectionist, just someone looking to get back in to a true Ozzie muscle car and away from all this European dross.

Cheers again
Adam
Old 07-15-2005, 16:14   #4 (permalink)

You really need to start searching Ebay, carsales etc. Also, where ever you are going to come back to in Oz, see if you can get some one to buy the Trading Post, Quokka etc so as to look in the papers. Lastly, see if you can get a subscription to 'Unique Cars'.

Unfortunately, most of these cars have simply sky rocketed in price, especially factory V8 coupes. As xcgxl says, GT's come in A's & B's. The XC can be had in as a povo pack (6 cylinder yawn mobile), a GS, a Fairmont (standard was auto 4.1) as well as a Cobra but no GT.

The GS models had the twin headlight grille, sports dash, bonnet with flutes as well as auto or manual. There was one for sale recently, it was a factory XC GS platinum blue 5.8 4 speed with 9 inch for a measely $28,000 !!! Ouch.

I would think that the XC would be cheaper than that of the A & B as the XC requires anti pollution gear whereas the others don't. Also, the XC's appeared to have suffered from rust more so than the other two (from what I have heard on FF. Although in my experience, my '74 Landau has rust whereas my '78 Cobra does not).

As I said, just start looking and best of luck.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 17:18   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Gday all,

Thanks for you help

Adam
Adam

I have sent you a PM regarding a yellow fire XA coupe that we will have coming in shortly.

My advice is if you take a car to the UK, only drive it between May and August/Sept. If your wife is going to drive power steering is a Must and I would surgest auto ilo manual. The top loader is a great gearbox but my 12 ton D series truck has a better shift. The single rail is ok but the ratios dont seem to work, not for me anyway. I have a top loader and manual steer in my GT and its fun to drive but not in traffic. I would hate to be stuck on one of your A roads with it. Even the M1 when it gets clogged would be a pain.

I would not advise using the car for shopping trips etc, even on the odd occasion. If somone ran into it you would never forgive yourself. Its hard enough getting panels here without the issues you would have there. Also, 351 cars with the 9inch LSD are PIGS in the wet. If you think a Capri 2.8i is bad (yep have one of those) you should try a 351. Very tail happy.

Anyway, email me if you like the sound of the XA.

As for whats the best car, they are all much of a muchness. The XB is the most common one seen on the road. I like the look of the XC best (even the fairmont). The 351 XA GT is the most raw muscel car. Landau is the luxury one but not as sporty as the others (excluding the plain jane ones). Its easy to swap the square headlights for the GS pac lights on the XC. The only other difference is the GS had the side flutes (these are not fitted to ANY XA). Dont wory about the emmision controls if you get a XC. The MOT test would not even think of what should be connected, the UK had no emmision laws in the 70's so your ok there. The XC just needs a cam change and maybe a holley carb to wake it up.

Anyway, Best of luck

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 18:04   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Gday all,

Thanks for you help

Adam
I had two xa GTs and an xb sedan and two of them leaked water onto the floor so if you are thinking of buying one ask them if u can put a hose into the air intake under the windscreen. If it leaks u will have a big job to fix it.

Hope this helps, Cheers.
Turbo4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 00:24   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all your info guys.

Have been on a general hunt for one over the last couple of months now seen a few go on eBay, last one was the blue XA. But hard buying from a distance as I have already asked my old man to check a couple out and not won them.
When I do get back home to OZ it will be for good, so wont be shipping it to the UK apart from upsetting the ACLF the price of petrol is about $2,50 a litre… and the weather is shit

Sounds like the main differences are only cosmetic between the xa/xb so a personal decision there and the big difference between these and the xc is the pollution control (is it just breathers and stuff or is it more like catalectic converters)?
Again thanks for your help on this.
Will keep my search up.

Paul thanks forgot about unique cars will have to see if I can get a copy and if poss any photos or you cobra floating around in the forums?

Cheers
Adam
Old 07-18-2005, 02:47   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for all your info guys.

Have been on a general hunt for one over the last couple of months now seen a few go on eBay, last one was the blue XA. But hard buying from a distance as I have already asked my old man to check a couple out and not won them.
When I do get back home to OZ it will be for good, so wont be shipping it to the UK apart from upsetting the ACLF the price of petrol is about $2,50 a litre… and the weather is shit

Sounds like the main differences are only cosmetic between the xa/xb so a personal decision there and the big difference between these and the xc is the pollution control (is it just breathers and stuff or is it more like catalectic converters)?
Again thanks for your help on this.
Will keep my search up.

Paul thanks forgot about unique cars will have to see if I can get a copy and if poss any photos or you cobra floating around in the forums?

Cheers
Adam
Adam

The XC complied with a rule called ADR27a. What they did was retard the cam timing and fitted a EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) valve. What this did was redirect exhaust gas into the intake manifold when cruising. The V8s used a specialy calibrated Carter Thermo Quad carb that was way to big for the application, especialy on the 302. 351s got electronic ignition. The performance of the later 302's on the "Update XC" was improved by reducing the secondery intake ports under the carb. This imroved intake velocity to some degree and the cars tended not to bog down as much when the throttle was wide open. These cars also recived electronic ignition.

A little more thought went into the sixes. They recieved a new cylinder head so they didn't suffer the power loss that the eights did.

To me the XC, especialy the Cobra, is a great looking car. If you find a good one you wouldnt be disapointed. The major enemy is rust in the rear quaters, boot and back window. Rain enters the rear side windows and blows into the boot. Its a very poor design that is compounded by the inner panels not even getting a good coat of primer. This is true of all the coupes so the thing you want is a car thats rust free first and formost.

Cheers

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:58   #9 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

Kpie,

What do you want a falcon coupe for??? mate in london you've got a great selection of little pocket rocket capri gt's there!!!!
I'd be inclined on getting myself one of those for under a 1000 pounds you'd be laughing.
Just my thoughts, mates had them when i lived there... they were schmick!!!
mick.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:30   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Gday all,

Thanks for you help

Adam
I know of a rust free excellent XC hard top travelled only 117000 kls for sale contact me and I will give you the contact, believe me it is a top coupe
Mike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons