Help Please... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 00:50   #1 (permalink)

Help Please...

Gday, was trying to find some info on a car that im interested in and stumbeled onto this forum, it would be fantastic if i could get some help?

Firstly i know nothing about cars in general except what i like.
Now, my current mechanic (who happens to be a good friend of my fiance's father) has an old Falcon XY 500 out the back of his shop.

Its an auto sedan with the 351 cleavland, engine is running alright from what i can tell and have been told (i trust his dudgement and honesty).
Body is pretty straight with a bit of surface rust so it will need to be resprayed and all the crome is in good nick.
All the leather interior is intact apart from the center console need to be fixed back down.
The dash is pretty much screwed, o and it has 12 slotters.

Well thats about the limit of my knowledge.
Anyway, he would like to sell it and i am interested in buying it and fixing it up (with some help from my dad and a few mates)
Was wondering, what sort of price i should offer for it? what should i look for to make sure its worth buying and how much money roughly would i have to put into it to get it up to scrath?

any info would be fantastic and plz dont flame me for asking such a lame question, i love the look and the feel of the xy's and just want to own one for myself...
Chainheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 02:03   #2 (permalink)
Fatso

Re: Help Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainheart
Gday, was trying to find some info on a car that im interested in and stumbeled onto this forum, it would be fantastic if i could get some help?

Firstly i know nothing about cars in general except what i like.
Now, my current mechanic (who happens to be a good friend of my fiance's father) has an old Falcon XY 500 out the back of his shop.

Its an auto sedan with the 351 cleavland, engine is running alright from what i can tell and have been told (i trust his dudgement and honesty).
Body is pretty straight with a bit of surface rust so it will need to be resprayed and all the crome is in good nick.
All the leather interior is intact apart from the center console need to be fixed back down.
The dash is pretty much screwed, o and it has 12 slotters.

Well thats about the limit of my knowledge.
Anyway, he would like to sell it and i am interested in buying it and fixing it up (with some help from my dad and a few mates)
Was wondering, what sort of price i should offer for it? what should i look for to make sure its worth buying and how much money roughly would i have to put into it to get it up to scrath?

any info would be fantastic and plz dont flame me for asking such a lame question, i love the look and the feel of the xy's and just want to own one for myself...
Fair question. Not an expert in XYs, but things to generally look out for, as expensive to fix are:

Rust, Rust and Rust!

Interior bits and pieces (i.e. dash) are hard to come by, but some repro stuff around (not cheap).

Price for resto will depend on the desired outcome.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeCruiser09
Interior bits and pieces (i.e. dash) are hard to come by, but some repro stuff around (not cheap).

Price for resto will depend on the desired outcome.
Thx for the info.
Not too worried about keeping it original or anything like that, will be leaving the engine right alone (just make sure its running well) and no mods or anything extreme. Just wanna tidy it up, new spay job, will need a new dash, and probably new parsel shelf and carpets and a couple bits and pieces on the interior..

main thing i would like to know is what too offer him for it as it is now and then I can get it up to scratch slowly as i save for the bits and pieces..
Old 10-06-2006, 03:22   #4 (permalink)
Fatso

Hard to say without seeing overall condition, but by the sound of it no more than a couple thou (especially if it is not registered). Check out trading post on-line ( Carsales, Carpoint, eBay etc...) for prices for similar... a bit of research will help you decide on a fair offer.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeCruiser09
Check out trading post on-line ( Carsales, Carpoint, eBay etc...) for prices for similar... a bit of research will help you decide on a fair offer.
thanks for the help, i think ill do just that.
any more info i could get on what to look for from anyone would be fantastic thx again.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57   #6 (permalink)

You have to make an offer? well thats common.
From the sound of it, i reckon he needs to name a price to YOU!.
Then with a bit of research, you can decide if it is what you are happy to pay...given the work required.
Probably your best source for parts would be Rare Spares in Melb....you can get a catalogue out of them for the model, thatwill give you anidea of whats available and what it may cost you.

Cheers.
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 23:51   #7 (permalink)

Gday Chainheart, check up inside the boot near the back window and around the inner sills for rust also, if all reasonable, up to 3 grand sounds good. As for the dash pad take it to a good auto trimmer and ask them to cover it in vynal. They can also pad it as well. I paid $100 for this rather than the $400 for my dashpad to be restored. Good luck withit and keep us posted.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:16   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw383
check up inside the boot near the back window and around the inner sills for rust also, if all reasonable, up to 3 grand sounds good. As for the dash pad take it to a good auto trimmer and ask them to cover it in vynal. They can also pad it as well. I paid $100 for this rather than the $400 for my dashpad to be restored. Good luck withit and keep us posted.
thx, i had a better look at it today and there is a bit more rust in it than i thought but im getting a friend who builds/restores hotrods to have a look for me and let me know his more experienced opinion.
I also talked to the owner about a price, we were talking about the 1500 mark but ill get him to tidy up the engine, get it working properly and replace any parts for me and add that onto the price.

I have been doing a bit of research on the xy's and it seems that the 500's only came out stock with the v6's not the 351's, was wondering if any did come out with the bigger engine or has it been replaced with one?
As far as i can tell its all original anyone know?
Old 10-14-2006, 15:46   #9 (permalink)

Gday the engine number and chassis number will be the same if original. $1500 is cheap for a complete car even if there is major rust problems.
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:43   #10 (permalink)

the 351 could be optioned on all XY's - check the compliance plate on the firewall, if the engine code is T it was originally a 351. Naturally, the body (chassis) number on the compliance plate should be the same as that stamped on the left hand shock tower......
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons