I'm new to the forum, and I have a question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04   #1 (permalink)

I'm new to the forum, and I have a question

I am knew to the forum, in fact my 64 Ranchero is my first Ford.
I have been working on cars since I was 16 years, I tuned 54 last week.

I brought the ranchero back form the dead, and I have it running pretty nicely, except for the Air Fuel mixture.
I took the carb, a 1100 manual choke apart and cleaned it really well per my shop manual. I got the the little 170 running and idling perfectly. I started with the carb because the previous owner hammered the carb as if it had a stuck float or something. This was a clue.. hammer marks on the carb, I better check the carb and rebuild it.
I checked the distributor and it's the correct model for the 1100. I can't get any Top End out of it. It acted like I wasn't getting any vacuum to the distributor.

I purchased a carb kit and notice they gave me three steal check valve balls with the kit. There was a note that said install the third check valve ball in the hole that corresponds with vacuum on the 250 engine only.
There was a ball in that location when I opened the carb. So when I rebuilt the carb, I left that ball out of that location. I started to get some top end performance, but not enough. The car still felt like it was starving for fuel at higher RPM's.

So I pulled the manual chock out and I got my top end performance. Now I can cruse at 60 to 70 on the freeway. Without the choke pulled out about a third of the way, I don't get the top end performance you would expect.

I feel like I'm masking the real problem. The car starts and idles perfectly. In cold or warm conditions. I lowered the idle screw to compensate for the extra choke but I feel in my bones that choking the carb by almost a third is just plane wrong after the engine is at operating temp. I leave a nice black spot on the pavement when I start the car because the mixture is so rich, but without the rich mixture I can't get any top end.
I checked the vacuum advance, and it's working. My fuel pressure is good, checked that. Timing is correct.

Is the main jet for a 144 the same as the main jet for the 170? The engine was originally a 144, and it had a 170 in it when I got it. I am assuming that items like the carb and distributor were installed form the 144 to the 170.

Is this normal to have to make the mixture that rich to get the top end performance? I don't think so... I'm missing the real problem, I 'm sure of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ranchero louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Still Da Man

Re: I'm new to the forum, and I have a question

Post the carb IDent number

Usually the 144,170 & 200 used the same carb
mil1ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons