Ford Forums banner

John Goss Special XB info wanted

9K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Yellow Fire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm after any info on the John Goss XB's that anyone may have. The cars are 28 years old now so the details on the net are pretty sketchy at best. :)

I'm interested in stuff like details of production numbers & build dates. No one seems to know how many are out there.

Thanks
Matt

#5 ·
I had one years ago. It was blue instead of the green, and rather rusty.

Nice car. 302 auto. Went pretty well. Don't think there was much to them other than the paint job.

Would be getting pretty rare now.

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure that there were only something like 500 or so made unsure of the exact build date's but I think it was like March April in 75 I think, I may well be wrong.

Have a look at it plate's under the bonnet they should give you the exact date, week and which line they came off.

If not get on to the Falcon Cobra Car Club of Australia web site and send Mark Pividor an e-mail he seem's to know a lot about the Goss' as well as the Cobra's.

Cheer's

Nathan.

p.s my missus will be very envious of you, she's wanted a John Goss special for ages, but we just can't seem to find any for sale.

#7 ·
Thanks guys,

It actually my father's car & for the record its an August 1975 build & cost $6000. Its unregistered & requires a bit of work to restore it back to original condition.

Looking on the net I've seen the build numbers of 260, 266, & 400+ thrown about, so who know's what's right? :)

From what I can gather one way to pick a Goss from a standard 500 is that the Goss's had either paint code Q (for green) or S (for blue). Again this may only be a rumour. Ford didn't keep records of these things like they did with the GTs unfortunately.

#8 ·
Just grab the chassis no. and engine no. and ring Ford champ, they should be able to verify it, I did that before I bought my Cobra and they sent me out everything they had on them they were a great help.

Cheer's

Nathan.

p.s if you don't want to spend the coin on it to fix it up let me know cause my missus would love to get her hand's on it.

One thing I do know for sure is that there were a substantialy less no. of blue one's than there were of the green one's.

#9 ·
I might try Ford again. I spoke to them about my GT & GS & they told me they could only provide info on the GTs & Cobras, not the GS's. I assumed they couldn't give me any Goss info.

It may be worth another shot. I've only ever seen another 3 in the flesh & would love to know how many others are out there :)

#12 ·
Yellow Fire said:
Hey guys,

I'm after any info on the John Goss XB's that anyone may have. The cars are 28 years old now so the details on the net are pretty sketchy at best. :)

I'm interested in stuff like details of production numbers & build dates. No one seems to know how many are out there.

Thanks
Matt

PS: here's some pics of one if anyone's interested

http://home.kooee.com.au/q2501/jgs/index.htm
I assume this is the post on www.falcongtclub.org ????
If not, have a look there. Jim D can trace any car produced with ID numbers, and is a walking data base on Ford production numbers.

Cheers

#14 ·
they were all autos as far as I am aware ( all the ones I have seen have been .. including the one I used to own ).. I am not sure how many were made but they were basically a 302 GS Coupe with a spivvy paint job and some other goodies. They would have had the single rail BW anyway given the build dates.

Mine died at the hands of a drink driver. I still have the plates for it some where.

#15 ·
I've gotten my hands on a January 1976 road test in Motor Manual mag (I'll try & scan the info in later). Here's the info accoriding to them:

- 302 Cleveland 2V
- Blue/White or Green/White paint
- 4 speed manual (single rail) or 3 speed auto (C4 I'm guessing)
- Falcon 500 interior with GS pack added
- "Ford is currently on its second run of 400 cars" (I don't know exactly what they mean by that)
- 1/4 mile time of 17.2 (a racecar these ain't)

I'll keep searching, but at this stage I'm getting more questions than answers :)

#16 ·
So far as I know they were available with two different colour schemes. Blue over White with Orange tape stripes, and Green (Emerald Fire I think) over White with Orange tape stripes. All were 302 Cleveland powered. I thought they all were four speed manuals (I could be wrong, this is the first I have heard of them being automatic, but I don't know a great deal about them. I was going to find out some paint codes for you too Yellow Fire. I will do that this week.

#17 ·
The one I have worked on was a 302/single rail/BW diff.combo. It had something special on the compliance plate, but I don't recall what. It didn't actually say "John Goss", but it was a code to that effect.

#19 ·
I just thought I would kick this one in the gut`s again as I have stumbled onto what I have been told is a JOHN GOSS SPECIAL out the back of god knows Ill pack a cut lunch on Sunday , hop in the F truck and go and check it out.
I have had another coupe for over 13 years and my god it`s rusty, I think it is a goss but after contacting the discovery centre I dont know where to look.
All I know that under the syco black paint job with red yellow & orange stripes up the side is the blue colour that they had including in the engine bay.
It has matching engine/chasis numbers, is a single rail 4 speed, gs dash & bonnet with lock down pins & diecast bolt on vents rear on the front section of the rear quarters.
The trim is white with black dash & carpet and I think those were the standard colours.
If any more info has come to light and how many of them are out there now.

Regards James.

#20 ·
I know of one sitting in a paddock in colac. The owner doe's not want to sell.

#21 ·
Glad to see another coupe being restored. A mate of used to own one, and he was pretty sure only 260 were made.

Keep us posted on the resto. Im just getting my 73 superbird resprayed at present, so would be good to compare notes as the restos progress.

See pics of my superbird in galleries (search for superbird).

#24 ·
Well It looks like its out with the old cut *****`s and out into the bush this weekend to pick up the JOHN GOSS SPECIAL.

It looks like all we have to do is pull the donk, replace the extractors & engine pipe, reco the engine & wash the engine bay and "THE GOSS WILL BE CHERRRRY"

Will post pic`s asap.

Regard`s James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.