Lowering XY - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:07   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA
 
old_mate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 30
Posts: 2,142
Lowering XY

Hello all

Ok, this probably sounds like the stupidest question ever, but I have never in my life ever bothered to look underneath a leaf sprung car. This XY im looking at has been lifted with a extra leaf apparently, the rear guards are a good 3 inches above the tyre, while the front end has been lowered with king springs (back in the 80's stylez)

Before I drive the sucker to Qld, i just wanna drop the arse to match the front. How do I go about this?

Cheers.
__________________
EL Fairmont
XY Fairmont


...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2004, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
The SB Slayer
 
FPVGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Should be polishing my GT's
Posts: 1,529
Re: Lowering XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
Hello all

Ok, this probably sounds like the stupidest question ever, but I have never in my life ever bothered to look underneath a leaf sprung car. This XY im looking at has been lifted with a extra leaf apparently, the rear guards are a good 3 inches above the tyre, while the front end has been lowered with king springs (back in the 80's stylez)

Before I drive the sucker to Qld, i just wanna drop the arse to match the front. How do I go about this?

Cheers.
Lowering Blocks or u have to reset your leaf springs.
__________________
THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE LEGEND THE GT is back

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
formerly sikEA
 
old_mate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 30
Posts: 2,142
Re: Lowering XY

I imagine lowering blocks would be the easiest, but resetting the leaf springs is the best option yes? Do your normal suspension shops like pedders do this kind of stuff? Whats actually involved?

Why didnt they just build these things with springs? haha
__________________
EL Fairmont
XY Fairmont


...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: brisvages where else
Age: 42
Posts: 995
Re: Lowering XY

drop the ass by bringing up a pallet of beer .,most utes have 5 leaf rear or 7 leaf. if u have air shocks it will also be able to be raised or lowered in 2 secs.
__________________
dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:58   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: brisvages where else
Age: 42
Posts: 995
Re: Lowering XY

u can redrill the shackles to lower it as well
__________________
dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:05   #6 (permalink)
formerly sikEA
 
old_mate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 30
Posts: 2,142
Re: Lowering XY

mmm beer

It will need to be lowered anyway, might as well get it done before i strip it. I'll go to my local suspension places when the sale goes through and get their opinions.
__________________
EL Fairmont
XY Fairmont


...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner
 
Mike Gayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 799
Re: Lowering XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge
u can redrill the shackles to lower it as well
Why in god's name would you bother? Nothing wrong with lowering blocks, reset or lowered leafs.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Club Phantom
 
COUPEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: brisbane
Posts: 284
Re: Lowering XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Why in god's name would you bother? Nothing wrong with lowering blocks, reset or lowered leafs.
hey mate. I love your "hate Greg Murphy" club!!! Can I join. Out of curiousity, is it because he drives a holden or just because he's an arrogant pig? Would you like him any more if he drove a Ford?
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 21:38   #9 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner
 
Mike Gayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 799
Re: Lowering XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPEMAN
hey mate. I love your "hate Greg Murphy" club!!! Can I join. Out of curiousity, is it because he drives a holden or just because he's an arrogant pig? Would you like him any more if he drove a Ford?

I have nothing against Holden drivers (I think Bright is great) but Murphy is just a dick I didn't start the club, but I'm pretty sure that anyone is free to join.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 61
Re: Lowering XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I have nothing against Holden drivers (I think Bright is great) but Murphy is just a dick I didn't start the club, but I'm pretty sure that anyone is free to join.
Think back a couple years and brighty was Ford driver. He was just on loan to the dark side.
Blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xy spring towers update new chassis has arrived stanleyod68 Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 6 12-09-2004 13:14
XY brake upgrade gregford Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 13 10-12-2004 03:07
Diff widths for XY wagon Rhett Trans | Driveline 1 07-11-2004 04:27
Lowering my XY Klawsterfobik Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 23 06-24-2004 18:52
lowering springs? BoOtHeMaN Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 5 08-02-2001 01:16

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.