Major engine concerns- diagnosis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 22:43   #1 (permalink)
xc ute

frown Major engine concerns- diagnosis

Hi been working pretty hard on my xc to get it up and running but now i have some major concerns for the engine.I got the temp gauges working and decided to let it warm and run and ajust the thermos. It hasnt been running for a while, about a year, but it starts up really easy and idles perfectly....but three things concern me about the engine and make me think i might have got a dud engine or some problems.

Firstly the engine heated up really quick to 3/4 temp only iddling with twin thermos running. It got to that temp in about 3 or so minutes with a reconed radiator and new fluid. Oil and water levles are fine.

Secondly quite a bit of water gets blown out the twin system. Enought to make the ground wet after 2 minutes to the size of 4 cm by about 15 cm.

And lastly it was small blowing puffs of smoke out of each exhaust. The last ones not that big of a concern cause it needs a service and hasnt been run for a while. However i'm still concerned overall.

What can i do at home to try and diagnose the problem and what do people think it might be?

chartoo
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 00:00   #2 (permalink)
old B - new B

Re: Major engine concerns- diagnosis

water coming out the tail pipes is pretty common , just condensation.

if the motor hasnt been started for a year or so then i would not be worried about the puffs of smoke yet, give a chance to burn all the crap out first.might to go for a good long drive.

over heating ???
did you change the thermostat , could be sticking, did the radiator hoses get really hot that quick ?or did you just check the guage.
did you turn it off when it was getting hot or did it settle down to a constant temp.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:37   #3 (permalink)

What colour smoke was coming out?
Black?
Blue?
White?

Does the car ping when driving normally?
Is the timing in the correct position?
Overheating can also be caused by running a lean fuel mixture

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:51   #4 (permalink)

Thermostat rusted shut I'd say, particularly if it is not one of the proper clevo ones. Do a search on overheating clevo for more info.
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27   #5 (permalink)

That sounds like a normal amount of water out the exhaust.
The thermostat sounds like it has jammed shut. I had it happen after 3 mths once but after 2nd it freed up and worked ok. Changed it anyway just in case.
Two easy checks are to run it again and see if it is free (but pay attention to temp as you are already). 2nd check is to temporarily remove thermostat and run it again and see what happens.

With thermostat shut water in block heats up very quickly.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:54   #6 (permalink)

Did you bleed the cooling system? You need to let the engine rune up to thermostat opening temperature with the radiator cap to remove trapped air from the system.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:56   #7 (permalink)

Well,
everyone else has covered most points.

Water on ground.. Start by running over the Hose clamps for a tighten. Have you tried to locate where the water is leaving the system?? possible dead radiator cap.
Are you running an overflow bottle? No, then are you running a non overflow radiator cap?

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 18:04   #8 (permalink)

Possibly roted away Head gaskets will cause quick over heating & water out the exhaust , Exhaust gas will get into the cooling system on initial start up & cause real quick over heating & then once pressure builds up in the cooling system it will pump the water out the exhaust .

Check to see if exhaust gas builds up in the radiator with cap off ort get a cooiling system exhaust gas(CO2) tester to check ,

Cheers

PV
H-Code-XY-Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 22:54   #9 (permalink)
xc ute

Wow lots of good adivce thanks. I did and oil and filter change just to help it along today but it didnt really help. Its got a new radiator cap and i had the cap off while running to let the air out already. The smoke that was commin out was greyish but after the oil change its pretty minimal. I also fitted a capiliary temp gauge i had floating around just to see if the internal gauges were accurate. Thought i might as well fit the other amp and oil pressure gauges as well. Not sure where u connect up the amp gauge to though.
He he :) put them infront of the windscreen on the outside. Gives it a real streetmachine look. Gonna change the thermostate just to sure and then take it from there. Hope its nothing to do with the heads or anything major. Never can tell 100% when buying someones elses unfinished project. You end up taking the good with the bad. Aslo its had a transplant to a windsor not the usual clevo if that makes a differece.

Cheers chartoo
Old 02-23-2006, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
xc ute

Think i solved the problem. The thermo was a bit rusty and the small pipe from the waterpump to the thermo housing was completely blocked up with like crystlized coolent. Had to chip it out! So hopefully this will fix the overheating problem. Thanks for the help everyone. Crisis over.

Chartoo
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons