mirrors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 14:54   #1 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

mirrors

How easy is it to fit those remote mirrors like on the xcgxl's to a standard falc. 500 door. I'd think you'd have to drill a hole in the top edge for the chrome handle... How much work would be involved do you reckon?

Anyone done it? Reason iI'm asking is that I have a pair and I'm considering putting them on because at present, all I have is the drivers side and I don't think it's original - slightly different shade of white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2005, 20:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: mirrors

Mattie,the hole in the door is already there.You only have to cut the door trim and sort out the cables.You might also have to cut another hole in the skin where the mirror mounts for the cable to go through.
Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 14:35   #3 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

Hey, cool!! Thanks for that... I'll have a look tonight. But I thought that mirror holes were up in the top corner of the door, and my falcon's door trims are flat; they don't curve over the top of the door. I've never noticed a hole up there... I'll check it out.

Cheers bud!
Old 01-20-2005, 14:58   #4 (permalink)

Perhaps the lesser models without the full door trims don't have the hole. I havent taken much notice of them either. My GXL has the inner hole on the left (but you need another hole under the mirror for the cable). I have seen GXLs with left and right but I am told they didnt come like that. I tried to fit a LH mirror to mine only to find the handle ends up upside down, You need a special LH mirror CABLE even though the glasses interchange. Thats unless you are prepared to put up with the mirror going the opposite way to the handle. IMO you are wasting your time. I have a brand new one in my drivers door, and even new they are pretty useless. Limited travel and you feel like you are going to break the little handle everytime you use it. Or bump it with your leg getting in or out and snap it clean off which I have done a couple of times.
Old 01-20-2005, 17:18   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMattie
Hey, cool!! Thanks for that... I'll have a look tonight. But I thought that mirror holes were up in the top corner of the door, and my falcon's door trims are flat; they don't curve over the top of the door. I've never noticed a hole up there... I'll check it out.

Cheers bud!
Hey Mattie, is someone selling your car on Ebay? Either that or someone is using your avatar pic

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEWA:IT
Road runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

In the outer skin you'll need to drill a 1" hole roughly (could be 3/4"). On the inner skin you'll need to drill a hole thats just bigger that the thread that holds the adjuster to the door. It's a relatively easy job. The hardest bit it running the cable for the mirror. the cable runs infront of the window (to the front of the door). Not under the window as some silly idiot did during a sleepless night (me). I should have known better as I've removed and refitted the mirror more times than I care for.

Once you have the remote mirror assembly it's easy to work out what needs to be done.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons