My GT, Got the letter from Ford today - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 21:03   #1 (permalink)

My GT, Got the letter from Ford today

Well a few surprises and a few suspisions confirmed.

03 Seat belts
06 Power steering (this I suspected, somone has fitted a 16M Manual box).
11 Tinted band laminated sceen
40 Air conditioning
46 Power windows
52 Sports wheels (now this is a surprise, factory mags)

So I have some descions to make. I will lose the factory style rear louvers. Thats the type that are hinged at the top. What about the alloy rear spoiler? Is this a legit dealer fit? I love that part. And the hood, I was hoping for black. Also noted there is no radio. What should I do with that NOS 8 track player?

I will put the steering back to power, that 16M box is a pain for parking.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for your input so far. Opinions on what to do welcome.
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 04:20   #2 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Re: My GT, Got the letter from Ford today

Hey Steve, some good options there mate.
No black bonnet is way better, will show the blue off nicely. The louvre could have been dealer fit too, I like the factory louvres. Is the spoiler a motorcraft alloy one? If so it's usually means a dealer fit one there. The wheels will be the alloy/steel combo ones that look like the yankee torque thrusts, not globes. I would fit the radio, they too were dealer fits, mine has no radio info either. If you use the 8 track, don't forget to mount the fader control which came with these.
What was the dealer code?

Donny

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:34   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Hey Steve, some good options there mate.
No black bonnet is way better, will show the blue off nicely. The louvre could have been dealer fit too, I like the factory louvres. Is the spoiler a motorcraft alloy one? If so it's usually means a dealer fit one there. The wheels will be the alloy/steel combo ones that look like the yankee torque thrusts, not globes. I would fit the radio, they too were dealer fits, mine has no radio info either. If you use the 8 track, don't forget to mount the fader control which came with these.
What was the dealer code?

Donny
The car was sold by Cam Dawson Ford, Geelong, right opposite the Geelong Ford Factory. I have the fader control, have the "full monty" of xa 8 track sound systems! Gee, they were bad, lol. The louvers are the fiber glass type that hinge on the roof. (My XC Coupe has the same type). The spoiler is the aloy wing type. This letter has opened a can of worms. A bit like pandoras box.

I will have to make sure that any thing I do is easy to return to FACTORY.

Steve
Black BA XR6 Ute
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:44   #4 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Hey Steve isn't the factory louvres ment to be aluminiun or light steel?
I have some pics of them, but have never checked out the materials they were made from.
I would say the spoiler sounds like a motorcraft one, which was what the dealers used for fitment after delivery from the factory.

I am putting a super fringe in mine, I am not gonna wire it to any speakers, just hook power to it. I am not even putting a radio ariel on my car. Don't use the radio at all, got a new super fangled thing in my work car, dunno how to even turn the radio on, and have never tuned in any channels. I will listen to my mp3's or 351 easy listening....

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:45   #5 (permalink)

Do you have any 8 track cartridges to play on it? If not why bother with it? Can you record on those things? I think not.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
So I have some descions to make. I will lose the factory style rear louvers. Thats the type that are hinged at the top. What about the alloy rear spoiler? Is this a legit dealer fit? I love that part. And the hood, I was hoping for black. Also noted there is no radio. What should I do with that NOS 8 track player?

I will put the steering back to power, that 16M box is a pain for parking.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for your input so far. Opinions on what to do welcome.
Mate, in my humble opinion, yep, go the power steering, but if other mods have been done well and are period, then why get rid of them now?

If you are going for strictly original, then yes, you might have to rip off the spoiler. If you do this now, or in two years, what does it matter? It's never too late to change it, and if you like it that way then leave it and enjoy it the way you like.

Dan
Gunner_Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:52   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
The car was sold by Cam Dawson Ford, Geelong, right opposite the Geelong Ford Factory. I have the fader control, have the "full monty" of xa 8 track sound systems! Gee, they were bad, lol. The louvers are the fiber glass type that hinge on the roof. (My XC Coupe has the same type). The spoiler is the aloy wing type. This letter has opened a can of worms. A bit like pandoras box.

I will have to make sure that any thing I do is easy to return to FACTORY.

Steve
Hey Steve,

I don't know how the show judges work down there but up here if a modification is period correct and the parts are original dealer installed items, then these can actually help you at the car show. There are many Mustangs that show up with the little horseshoe bumperettes, lighted pony grills, dealer only 8-trac players, rear window louvers, etc.,.... As long as the mods are done well and are original dealer fitted, I'd leave them as that could have been the way it drove off the showroom floor.
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:48   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Do you have any 8 track cartridges to play on it? If not why bother with it? Can you record on those things? I think not.
G'day,
yes you CAN record on 8 tracks. I deal mostly with mustangs, and most of these guys are fitting 'new-gen' 8 track players. that is they will play an 8-track, but have digital clock and radio tuning/memory

Blank 8 track cartridges are still available, and to a lesser degree working 8 track recorders. My avatar is a 67 stang with one of these digital 8 tracks, the owner purchaseda box of 100 8 track tapes....he may be amenable to recording your favourite music onto 8 track for a small fee....!!!!!

On the issue of originality.
what i left the factory is a must, also any delear options....the original delivery slip is helpfull here

Cheers
JAs
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 16:00   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Hey Steve isn't the factory louvres ment to be aluminiun or light steel?
I have some pics of them, but have never checked out the materials they were made from.
I would say the spoiler sounds like a motorcraft one, which was what the dealers used for fitment after delivery from the factory.
Hi Donny. Those louvers are fiberglass with a steel frame. They bolt to the roof with hinges and through two holes in the top of the quarters with wing nuts on the inside. Remove the wing nuts and they hinge up for cleaning. The steel frame rests on the glass. I think they were standard fitment on Super Birds and J G Specials. They do look a bit like Mustang Boss 302 items except made from glass. The only other type is the Aunger plastic louvers that clip under the rubber. Very popular in the 70's when I was young.

Steve
Black BA XR6 Ute
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
Old 09-02-2005, 16:06   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Yup, I have a Pioneer recorder and a box of blanks to record a few "Neil Diamond" period classics. Seeing as the car was built in August 72, Hot August Night is the go, yeah, right, probably not.
Black BA XR6 Ute
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons