My new XB GS Coupe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 16:04   #1 (permalink)

My new XB GS Coupe

Hi All,

I've just bought an XB GS coop (I have pics... but no idea how to post them) and I hope you can all give me some advice.

Obviously, it's not a GT, but the truth is, I'm not in the position to be looking for a serious GT

This is the story:
It was a one-owner, and he died, leaving it to his daughter. She sold it to the parts place they used to use, and he decided against turning it into a drag car. His mate of 20 yrs... my good mate... convinced him to sell it to me (3.5K).

It was registered, but the owner of the parts place surrendered the plates.

The car has barely any rust in it at all. None around the windows, in the rear quarters, and hardly any in the boot. It's totally clean around the tank, but has a little on the base edge of a support post in one side of the boot. Must've been garaged it's whole life. It has some skin rust, but nothing structural at all... nothing like others I have seen.

It's got a few dings, but again these are just panel damage, not severe.

It has the GT dash (but is sporting a cortina wheel!). All the bits that are off the car are in the boot, except for the top chrome strip for the front window.

It's just a 250 auto, but it's original down to the rims. There's even a sticker in the boot about jack use.

I have wanted a coop since I was 7, and never intend to let it go. Ever.

My questions:

What is an RPO I have read about a few times?

Even though it's just the 6 GS, it's pretty bloody original and I think that is the most valuable way to keep it. What would I have to maintain to keep it original, or increase it's value?

As an example: I dont want to devalue it, but the front rides pretty high with those standard springs. Is it considered still original if I replace them?

I want to find the balance of maintaining it's true value, and making it the ride I always dreamed of... the clean lines I see in pics everywhere.

Are the 6 pot GS coops high enough value to be worrying about this at all, or should I just aim for making a clean car?

I've done engine rebuilds, swapped autos for manuals, done body work etc etc,and I know what I am capable of. I always try and do my homework first.

It's just that now I have got my dream car, I dont want to head down any wrong roads.

Any advice would be much appreciated, including how to post pics, if anybody wants to see her.

Cheers

Dan
Gunner_Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 16:12   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: My new XB GS Coupe

First off, WE WANT PICS!

Nice mate, can't wait to get one and slot a 351 into it!

RPO is Regular Production Order? Someone will correct me I'm sure. RPO 83 being the famous one. RPO 83 are the XAs that are loaded with phase 4 bits left over when the phase 4 program was killed.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 16:18   #3 (permalink)
Circuit board dressups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner_Boone
To post pics, click 'manage attachments' below the window for advanced reply posting, and browse to find the pics, and they'll post as an attachment, nice n easy.
Old 10-29-2004, 16:27   #4 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

Nothing wrong with a GS, there under rated in my opinion and most have been pillaged for gt clones
302xm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Firstly welcome to the forum & congrats on the purchase.

Quote:
My questions:

RPO stands for Regular Production Option. When most people say RPO they are refering to the RPO 83 XA GTs which basically had some parts intended for the Phase IV HOs.

Quote:
I want to find the balance of maintaining it's true value, and making it the ride I always dreamed of... the clean lines I see in pics everywhere.

Are the 6 pot GS coops high enough value to be worrying about this at all, or should I just aim for making a clean car?
For a car as original as your car is I'd be inclined to keep the stock look. Things like springs & minor upgrades should keep it original in my opinion. A good idea is to only do those mods that can be undone easily.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 10-29-2004, 17:49   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the Pic instructions.

Here it is. The guy in the pic is my oldest. (legend footy player).

She doesn't look showroom, I know, but with the amount of stuff wrong with iher, it's a great place to start.

(No more "Cheers" at the bottom of posts, ok)

Hope you like her, and I'm glad to have found this forum.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1aaac.JPG (38.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 1aaad.JPG (42.4 KB, 383 views)
Old 10-29-2004, 18:05   #7 (permalink)

That's beautiful mate! I say restore it to original (ie leave the six in it), because matching numbers cars are rare these days, particularly nice GS coupes like yours!

1969 XT FAIRMONT
Classic Not Plastic :s6:
FAT69XT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

That's a nice car Gunner, I'd keep it original but wouldn't be against lowering it a little and putting some widened (painted) 12 sloters on the back.
Old 10-29-2004, 19:04   #9 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Nice Gunner!

You going to drive it every day or weekends only?
Old 10-29-2004, 19:59   #10 (permalink)

I want to be able to drive it when I want, but it wont go anywhere near #@$@ shopping trolleys etc.

The other thing I was thinking about was hardened valve seats to run 98 RON fuel without having to add an additive... plus all the usual tweaks like elect. ignition etc, but I still want to keep it to a minimum, so the detail looks pretty right

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, I thought it was the way to go.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons