Options to fix damaged paint - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Options to fix damaged paint

Hi as some are aware I have had my paint on my door cracked by someone using the palm of their hand on the door panel instead of the handle .
I have two options that I have come up with for fixing .

Option one is to get it fixed right now and hope the paint can be matched up but with this option summer time will be over by the time I have the car back together .

Option two is to complete the car and leave the crack for now and then in march have it repaired and get ghost flames done to help with the yellow colour match .
Please any advise will be great .
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 05:26   #2 (permalink)
XA Falcon Fiend!

Re: Options to fix damaged paint

I've briefly read the other thread. What type of paint is it, when was it sprayed, why do you believe it can't be matched, and can you host a picture of the damage?
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:26   #3 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Go option two Tony, get out and enjoy it for a while.
I hate people that don't know how to close doors, the bonnet can be damaged in the same way.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:17   #4 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Thanks guys the paint is 2-pak brand I think is propac and its a clear over base .
The colour is yellow glow and about 1.5 years old .The reason I am worried about paint matching is because the mirrors that were not painted at the same time but with the exact paint are different and after the damage every painter (2) that did come out on their behalf would not touch it because of the colour and everyone that I have spoken to have said yellow and red are just so hard to get correct .Close is about as good as matching gets this is why the ghost flames is a very big option .
Falcon coupe it realy shits me that I am looking at another lost summer without my car but hopefully I will be able to restart work on it next week so 6 weeks I maybe driving my car after what seems like a life time
Old 01-13-2006, 13:23   #5 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

You are not on you're own, Auslandau is at a simailar stage to you, his painter had the car for 7 months, now the paint is peeling off the roof, it was not prepped correctly after the vinyl roof was removed, it is now at anther painter being stripped and re done.
Old 01-13-2006, 14:34   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony xa
.The reason I am worried about paint matching is because the mirrors that were not painted at the same time but with the exact paint are different
i am not an expert on paints by any means tony but something that i have noticed and have talked to others about is how the plastic panels on most new cars are a different colour than the metal panels.

i see a lot of different kinds of cars through my shop and i have noticed this on everything from Deawoo`s to BMW`s.
it is more noticable in the brighter and metalic colours.

on my BA ute ( acid rush yellow/gold ) the bumpers are a very noticable different colour from the rest.

apparently it has something to do with the way the paint reacts with the plastic.

this could be the reason that your mirrors came out a different colour.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 17:18   #7 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe
You are not on you're own, Auslandau is at a simailar stage to you, his painter had the car for 7 months, now the paint is peeling off the roof, it was not prepped correctly after the vinyl roof was removed, it is now at anther painter being stripped and re done.
Its just not good enough that these people can take your money or more importantly time and just give nothing but a half arssed job .
One thing that has pissed me off is the fact I can not run around bad mouthing or just explaining how crap they were for me companies that have screwed me as they could sue .
At the end of my build I will be naming all companies for good or bad and in detail so others no who not to deal with .

I myself is not a painter but surely it is not that god damn hard and after 4 years aprentiship you think they would be able to get it right
Old 01-13-2006, 17:20   #8 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

351cid Thanks for that This will give me more confidence that it can be matched enough for a street car
Old 01-13-2006, 17:29   #9 (permalink)
Injection is nice But

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe

Hi Tony

I know it will be hard to look at the damage , but enjoy the car now & drive it in summer, with such an extensive rebuild, you may find after its on the Road other issues may come to light that you would like to change & you could schedule this for winter.

At a car show I had some idiot Knock over a post & dent the front guard very lightly, I have learnt to live with this. I'm not saying you should live with you door. I would have kept pursuring the windscreen company & make them paint the car. They would / should have insurance & this may teach them to take a little more care in the future. The small claims court would handle this with very little effort on your part. You still have this option.

Regarding matching yellow. When we painted my coupe over 10 years ago. We first painted the out side, then decided as the rebuild went on & the standard kept getting higher to detail underneath, using the same painter & some of the original paint the colour is still slightly different, when later we repaited the engine bay & same problem. The differances are very minor & the untrained eye can not pick it up mainly because they are differant areas of the car. If we had to paint a door, I no we would probably end up painting the hole side.

Brett
BAGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 17:38   #10 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Thanks Brett I will more than likely finsh the car and leave to door for now but wil get it fixed once the flames can be done (march) I liked the car the way it was but I have always thought about doing ghost flames but couldn't find a reason apart from I love ghost flames but now I have a good reason to help hide the colour change .
I will be looking into small clams as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons