project car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

project car

helping my dad with his XP project car has got me wanting one now lol, and after driving a friends 1970 mustang i want a v8.

im thinking xw with a 302 Windsor with an auto G/box, as my dad had one in the 70's and knows a bit about the 302w, i have a few questions.

1) what should we be looking for, which parts rust the most, what usually needs replacing on the body/undycarriage, i know i'll most likely have to fork out for a set of rubbers aswell.

2) what gearbox/diff combo to go with the 302W?

3) should i be looking for a car with engine/driveline, or for a good rolling shell and then buy the engine/trans/diff separate.

4) how reliable would the engine be on LPG? or should i stick to normal petrol seeing as it probably will only be a weekend driver.

i don't want to do it up as a gt/gs replica i want to do it up as something different (paint wise), and i was thinking of a colour called "burnt apple" or "burnt candy apple" it's a red/brown combo, cant remember exactly as the car i saw it on was a customer's and i didnt get to talk to him properly.

any comments are welcome, and all will be considered as i am not buying for annother 12 months so ive got plenty of time to save up some cash.

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 06:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: project car

G'day,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordLover
helping my dad with his XP project car has got me wanting one now lol, and after driving a friends 1970 mustang i want a v8.

im thinking xw with a 302 Windsor with an auto G/box, as my dad had one in the 70's and knows a bit about the 302w, i have a few questions.

1) what should we be looking for, which parts rust the most, what usually needs replacing on the body/undycarriage, i know i'll most likely have to fork out for a set of rubbers aswell.
Rubbers are standard. Whatch out for body and frame rust, it can be expensive to repair. Also look for previous smash repairs and lack of quality therein.....if youcan find it, then its probably repaired poorly.

Quote:
2) what gearbox/diff combo to go with the 302W?
That depends on your preference. Auto, Either an AOD, or AOD-E the AOD-E is readily availble in Australia and willhandle the light wieght of an XP quite easily. (AOD-E is the 4 speed auto as fitted to series 3 EA onwards)

Manual, a T5 will handle your requirements easily. There is 25 mm difference between the 6 cylinder one and the V8 one.. the only major difference is the input shaft bearing, and Dellow Automotive can supply a bell housing to suit either, in cable clutch or hydraulic.

Quote:
3) should i be looking for a car with engine/driveline, or for a good rolling shell and then buy the engine/trans/diff separate.
If you are looking at a v8 conversion/restoration, then the driveline is of no concern. Concentrate on the quality of the body and panels you are buying..if it has a driveline that works and you can have ten minute fun driving it in a paddock...so what

Quote:
4) how reliable would the engine be on LPG? or should i stick to normal petrol seeing as it probably will only be a weekend driver.
You can go straight LPG with no problems. The only issue is that whoever builds your heads is informed of your intention.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:21   #3 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

i was asking about the driveline engine combo for an XW, not the xp

thanks for the comments though

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:45   #4 (permalink)

XW/XP the comments remain the same.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons