To remove or not to remove, that is the question. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 20:40   #1 (permalink)

To remove or not to remove, that is the question.

Okay I've got this XA coupe I'm restoring, my previous jobs involved taping around the windshields but I want to remove them for this one. Does anyone know how hard it is to remove these windshields. Also do the exterior mouldings get wrecked removing them? I've already removed the side chrome mouldings that creep around the side windows and they're absolutely wrecked as I think they're pressed on. By the way are these expensive to buy? And where can I get them from. Thanks in advance. Oh and many people out there will be happy to know that it's not being turned into a GT lookalike. At least not for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2005, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
The Big Yellow Cruizer

Re: To remove or not to remove, that is the question.

Get a panelbeater to show you how to remove strips!!
Get a windscreen tradesman to remove the glass, it is MUCH cheaper than wrecking it all yourself and then to find out how difficult/expensive it can be
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 22:46   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXBFAR
Get a panelbeater to show you how to remove strips!!
Get a windscreen tradesman to remove the glass, it is MUCH cheaper than wrecking it all yourself and then to find out how difficult/expensive it can be
iwas to scared to answer this,this qoute is right if you are not sure patience can be your friend in times like these,also get a price on a new sheild sometimes a new one is cheap so if u break the old one it does not matter by the time u get the tradesmen out to remove and reinstall.i have pulled a few out myself by pushing with my feet evenly this is definatley not the correct procedure but cracked 1 in 5 but was in a hurry and did not really care
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:07   #4 (permalink)

My windscreen cost me $180 form the geniuses (?) at O 'Briens. It leaked and they ruined my mirror by filling the back up with glue!
Those door moulds prise off easily if you look carefully and find out where the T shaped clips are. I assue they are the same as for XC but maybe not. I have seen a LOT of these clips broken in the wreckers as they become brittle with age. First time I painted the XC I masked them up, lol
Old 04-25-2005, 04:19   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
My windscreen cost me $180 form the geniuses (?) at O 'Briens. It leaked and they ruined my mirror by filling the back up with glue!
Those door moulds prise off easily if you look carefully and find out where the T shaped clips are. I assue they are the same as for XC but maybe not. I have seen a LOT of these clips broken in the wreckers as they become brittle with age. First time I painted the XC I masked them up, lol
what does lol mean
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:28   #6 (permalink)

Mate if your going to do the job correctly then remove the screens. I had obrian's come out remove the screens and then when I was ready had a new front put in and re-fitted the rear....don't mess around to save $500 its not worth it....are you really restoring this car was or just playing with it ??
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:40   #7 (permalink)

Gutter moulds need to be pulled off carefully inch by inch. start at one end, pop the bottom off, and work your way along. I dont know cost and availability, but if its like other coupe trim then its expensive and difficult to find.

The trim around the front window comes off easy enough, just take it slow and careful. pull off the cowl panel and you will see the clips that retain the bottom windscreen trim. the sides and top pop out. just do it slowly and evenly. to pull out the front screen cut the black goo with a knife, then sit in the front seat and push it out with your feet. if it dont go easy go back to the knife. get a mate to stand on the outside to make sure you dont push the glass out onto the bonnet when it does go.

The rear is a pain. same deal as the front, cut it out, then push with your feet. the trim is locked into the rubber, will come out with the screen.

Pay someone else to reinstall them. I put my rear glass back in, I swear I will never do it again, it was painful...
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:37   #8 (permalink)

I've already taken the side window mouldings off, they're pretty butchered now. Mmmmm, so everyones saying to get the windscreens done ey? I was hoping to do it myself, as I like to do EVERYTHING myself, but if it's better and safer to get it done I might.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:05   #9 (permalink)
Go the GT's

[QUOTE=73gscoupe] to pull out the front screen cut the black goo with a knife, then sit in the front seat and push it out with your feet. if it dont go easy go back to the knife. get a mate to stand on the outside to make sure you dont push the glass out onto the bonnet when it does go.

QUOTE]

Pull the screen out yourself, they are a piece of piss. I did mine myself, and it was a safety glass one, not a laminated type....

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 16:26   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Use 2 people to get the screens out. I did mine with a mate. For putting them back in. Then you run a piece of string around the seal thats about 2ft longer than the total diameter of the seal. Pull gently on the string while getting someone to push on the screen. In a coupe? You may want to try and put the bottom of the rear window in first.

Leaks? non hardening windscreen sealant around the seal before installation solves that. Just don't put too much otherwise it gets messy. Turps removes any mess.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons