RRS rack installed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 04:47   #1 (permalink)

RRS rack installed

Couple of shots of the RRS power rack setup that I finished installing tonite.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 04:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: RRS rack installed

Cool. What that set you back? Looks nicer that a fat steering box jammed beside some extractors - easier to work on too by the looks of things.

Is that a custom cross member you have welded in there? ie: lower than standard?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:01   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Cool. What that set you back? Looks nicer that a fat steering box jammed beside some extractors - easier to work on too by the looks of things.

Is that a custom cross member you have welded in there? ie: lower than standard?
Its not what i,d call cheap at $2200 for the rack and uni setup back to the column. But it looks a whole lot better than a conventional setup and supposedly steer like a modern car or so i 've been told. Sheds a lot of welght from the front end as well.
The crossmember is standard XR.If you look closely enough you may notice that the entire front end of the car has been welded to make the whole lot stiffer.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:12   #4 (permalink)
Coupe XA

wow that looks awsome i was looking at the rrs suspention for my xa. Is it hard to install? what car is it?
heaps of welding in there
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benXaGt
wow that looks awsome i was looking at the rrs suspention for my xa. Is it hard to install? what car is it?
heaps of welding in there
RRS make some great gear but it is exxy. The suspension kits start at around 3k but these come with a brake package as well so all in all not so bad.
the rack itself is childs play to install.The fun bit is modifying the steering column. Column assy has to come out and be cut down to a certain length along with other mods but overall relatively easy.The car itself is an XR Fairmont. Had to ditch the standard xr column assy as these come with a non collapsible column which is integral with the steering box,so upon RRS's recommendation an XY column was suitably modded to take the place of the original item and being a collapsible unit ,the authorities would look at this modification as a positive enhancement or so you would think.Firewall of an XY has also been grafted on to relocate the booster to a more suitable location as well.
As far as welding goes ,anything that could be welded or anything that had a seam was in some way given a shot of weld.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:39   #6 (permalink)

G'day,
although i haven't had any DIRECT experience with the RRS gear, i know plenty that have.
In short the advice i have is that the struts are GREAT, but the rack is crap.

The rack seems to have a short life, although when all tight and in good order is second to none.

russ i would love some running feedback on how it goes over time...to best advise other potential buyers.

One of the cars i have dealt with is a 69 Mach 1 fastback racecar with RRS phase 3 struts, disc rear kit, and power rack....any feedback for advising others would be much appreciated by myself and those with the dollars to burn.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
G'day,
although i haven't had any DIRECT experience with the RRS gear, i know plenty that have.
In short the advice i have is that the struts are GREAT, but the rack is crap.

The rack seems to have a short life, although when all tight and in good order is second to none.

russ i would love some running feedback on how it goes over time...to best advise other potential buyers.

One of the cars i have dealt with is a 69 Mach 1 fastback racecar with RRS phase 3 struts, disc rear kit, and power rack....any feedback for advising others would be much appreciated by myself and those with the dollars to burn.

Cheers
Jas
This particular model is the third revision on the rack and is quite a bit different from earlier racks.i don,t know what the problems are that you speak of but i would be interested to know.Earlier versions do not have the linear tracking system so this may have been the area that has been improved.As far as the rack itself is concerned ,I can see no reason as to why they wouldn,t last long as it is a production rack (Holden based) that was used for a number of years and in my years at working for a holden dealership can not remember any problems associated with these particular racks.
Jas,car won,t be finished for a while yet .
Old 08-08-2005, 02:48   #8 (permalink)

Anyone heard much about the RRS manual racks?
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:26   #9 (permalink)

G'day,
the early versions suffered from long term durability.
The linear tracking was added to try to resolve this, and the stories i have had (from within the mustang game) say that it failed to address this durability.

Hopefully the info being fed to me is wrong, as i'd love to fit it to my XL ute....maybe they might revise it again :)

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 19:54   #10 (permalink)

Looks like it would allow for a nice set of free flowing extractors to be fitted.Wonder where they source the rack from? (ie: What car is it out of??) Might be handy to have a part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons