SA Historic Rego hurting my head - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 22:25   #1 (permalink)

SA Historic Rego hurting my head

Life was simple before I read more about South Australia Historic Registration. I live in Adelaide and my Hardtip was made Oct 1976 - so now it is 30 years old and qualifies for Historic Registration.
Normal registration for a year is $750
Historic rego is $113 for a year.

Historic means I get 90 days to drive it a year (plenty for me) and have to fill out a logbook (no worries for that). Have to join a recognised club (again that's ok).
But then the painful bits.
Have to put stock wheels on, 14 inch by 6 inch wide. (I can buy some but they are lost under the rear wheel guards.)
Have to put stock carby on. (I like my 750 Holley, my 351 idles beaut and pulls clean and I can't feel the vacuum secondaries coming on - I don't want to lose that!)
Have to put stock exhaust manifolds on (I like my 4-1 headers - sounds great.)
I already have stock aircleaner (upside down lid still seals on air filter but lets in more air).
I have to put back on the Fairmont "comfort" bus wheel. I just got myself a tiny SAAS 3 spoke black MadMax look alike steering wheel that nearly cancels out the over assisted power steering and that would have to go too.

So if there was no historic rego I would continue on as normal and my simple car and enjoy life. But this rego discount thing has got me planning a carb swap, a header swap and some skinny wheels and a stock steering wheel.

Hell I'm even planning getting a stock carb re-conditioned and porting some stock exhaust manifolds to maximise performance. These crazy ideas of re-turning to car to stock to save a few rego dollars is making me tired and a bit crazy. My 351 Fairmont Coupe ain't no collectable fire breathing monster - but I like the little mods it has and would I ever be ok with stock wheels on it? I've borrowed some 10 inch rears with 275 BF Goodrick T/As and it looks very nice (my mate is using my 15*7 inch rims to get rid of a defect). Could I ever put little 14*6 stock wheels back on Coupe?

How long do I have to wait for these feelings to go away? Please impart wisdom and allow me to sleep soundfully.
:)
Peter_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Re: SA Historic Rego hurting my head

F*%# that!

Do you have to go to historic reg? If not just leave it the way it is - sounds like it will cost a bit to go back to factory.

Nice coupe by the way
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 23:07   #3 (permalink)

Mate has a Sth African XY GT with historic rego in Sth Aussie. The GT club told him he can have a holley, performer manifold and extractors and still qualify for historic rego. He is allowed up to 7inch wide rims with the GT hubcaps.

I wish there was a way I could get a similar rego on my XY. But with 8.5 and 5.5 Centerlines, battery in the boot, 425hp clevo, tricked C10 and 4.11 spooled 9 inch, it wont pass historic!!!!
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
old B - new B

it will proberly cost you more to return the car to stock than the dollars you will save on rego.
and then you will not be happy with the car soooo........

mine is old enough to qualify as well but for the extra dollars that it cost for full rego and the stuffing about and time involved to get and maintain club rego , i have decided to just keep paying for full rego.
i can get in my car and drive it anywhere, anytime i want, dont need to have an excuse ready or to let anyone know that i am going for a drive.

i think that club rego is a great idea for cars that are only ever driven to shows and club events etc like a lot of cllector and vintage cars but i recon its more hassels then it its worth for cars that might be and are driven regulary.

for instance , my BA ute will need to go in for a new bumper and paint repairs soon so i will be using the XB every day for work, i dont think that would be allowed under club rego.
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:35   #5 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Mate has a Sth African XY GT with historic rego in Sth Aussie. The GT club told him he can have a holley, performer manifold and extractors and still qualify for historic rego. He is allowed up to 7inch wide rims with the GT hubcaps.

I wish there was a way I could get a similar rego on my XY. But with 8.5 and 5.5 Centerlines, battery in the boot, 425hp clevo, tricked C10 and 4.11 spooled 9 inch, it wont pass historic!!!!
You poor bugger's. Here in melbourne the club i was with you could have basicly what ever you dam well liked. Mine was a XC Fairmont GXL it had Battery in boot 750 holley carb 15X8.5 rears and 15 X7's on the front. Plus the full Manual C10 B&M shifter monster tacho cowl mounted gauges the works.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 13:47   #6 (permalink)

As a former president of an SA Car Club with historic rego there are ways to "satisfy" the requirements... Firstly, some of your modifications are actually acceptable under historic rules as the equipment was available at the time of manufacture eg Holleys and extractors. Steering wheels in my experience have never been a historic issue but as with the wheels are, shall we say, an item that can be put on and off to meet the requirements of verification. Shop around with the clubs, most clubs have some sort of guidelines eg attendance at 3 runs and a meeting in 12 months etc. Some do not. Adelaide Antique Automobile Club is a good organistion and would fit your needs.
Brut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 20:02   #7 (permalink)
XA Coop 383

Does anyone know where to find a complete list of what is and what isn't acceptable?
I would like to go for historic rego on the coop I'm doing now, but six inch rims just don't cut it....
How about removing mods for inspection purposes and then replacing them after? How often do you have to have your car inspected?
XAlent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 20:25   #8 (permalink)

Contact the GT Owners Club in Adelaide.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 22:21   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlent
Does anyone know where to find a complete list of what is and what isn't acceptable?
I would like to go for historic rego on the coop I'm doing now, but six inch rims just don't cut it....
How about removing mods for inspection purposes and then replacing them after? How often do you have to have your car inspected?
Unfortunately there is no definitive list. My understanding is that the coupes (I have an XB ) legally can go one inch wider than original. Unless I am mistaken the GTs had 15X7's which means you could go 8's which I have been told by tyre crowds will get 275s on.
Brut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 16:34   #10 (permalink)
XA Coop 383

Will they accept a GT replica for historic reg? Don't know if I wanna ask GT club that question!!
XAlent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons