Street Machines FORDS Magazine article - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 17:18   #1 (permalink)

Street Machines FORDS Magazine article

There is a an Article in the latest SM FORDS magazine about a very nice XY. This is a very nice car and has had a lot of work done. The problem I have is that they say the car is driven every day and is "sweet in traffic". They say this in the same paragraph that they say,

"you can bake the back tyres in top gear at 100km/h, no problem. The convertor doesn't even think about hooking up at low revs - it's set at 6000rpm."

This doesn't sound right to me, and I don't think I would like to be in front of this thing at a set of lights if it's going to moving off the line at 6000rpm.

It doesn't sound like a streertable combo to me.

Old 04-17-2005, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
Club Phantom

Re: Street Machines FORDS Magazine article

Don't believe everything you read, although in this case it sounds like don't believe any of what you read.

My coupe has a 5000 converter with 4:56 gears. It sees regular street duty but certainly isn't driven every day. Even though it has an aluminium radiator I have mild heart fluctuations if I see anything that resembles mild traffic, definately a Saturday night car.

I haven't seen the article, but I would suspect an engine with a 6000 converter would have to be a solid roller unit with aluminium rods, as all it's power is obviously made up real high. Somehow I don't think so on a number of fronts.....
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

I see a lot of left foot braking happening to keep that 6000rpm converter in line!

I take it the engine wouldn't cruise along at under 6000rpm due to the converter (say it's geared to do 3000rpm @ 100kph in 3rd, would it drop to --and stay in-- 1st due to the converter?)

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 00:32   #4 (permalink)

A 6,000 stall speed converter will still drive the car but will be slightly slipping till it reaches its stall speed
Ideal for drag racing as u can hold it at high revs before launch

BTW - have seen this vehicle street driven on numerous occassions

Cheers
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 00:43   #5 (permalink)

A 6000rpm stall????that must be a 1500hp motor,it must be a big block windsor,this blokes powerband must sart at 6000rpm go thru the curves and peak at atleast 9500rpm. if its a cleveland they are dreamers.my cleveland has huge fly cuts in the pistons to allow the size cam i run (huge)and my torque curve is 3800rpm to 5900rpm (long duration cam shaft) valve bounces at 6400rpm. not saying u cannot rev a cleveland 2 10grand but it would cost $60,000+ (reliable) Windsor engines are a different story(rev harder less torque) THATS MY 20CENT
scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:35   #6 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Anyone notice just how crappy Street Machine mag has become. I used to buy the mag monthly, and any Ford specials that came out too. Up until about 2 years ago that is. Now I buy it only if there is an xa or xb falcon or gt in it, because the 8 odd bucks is too much just for some odd tech articles here and there and a couple of old jokes and the rest of the mags filled with boaring chevys and holdens.

I haven't bought an issue of Street Machine since late last year.......

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 15:15   #7 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
Anyone notice just how crappy Street Machine mag has become. I used to buy the mag monthly, and any Ford specials that came out too. Up until about 2 years ago that is. Now I buy it only if there is an xa or xb falcon or gt in it, because the 8 odd bucks is too much just for some odd tech articles here and there and a couple of old jokes and the rest of the mags filled with boaring chevys and holdens.

I haven't bought an issue of Street Machine since late last year.......

i used to subscribe when i was much younger and easily led astray. now it's AMC. i have all editions so far.
back on topic, maybe it should be 3000 stall.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 15:28   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Maybe he has a powerglide in it? Glides have less issues with histalls than Ford box's do.

I used to run around with a 3500 and 4500rpm histall with 4.11 gears. You could plod along @ 2000rpm with the 4500rpm convertor due to it being a good convertor. The 3500rpm convertor made by a Victorian company was a pile of crap. The 3500 wanted to always sit around 2500-3000rpm cruising. The convertor was too loose.

With the 4500, I was that confident of it's workings, I did a 400k round trip from Cranbourne->Heathcote->Bendigo->Cranbourne. You can drive around with a big stall provided you have decent rearend gearing and a decent convertor manufacturer.

Don't believe all the know it all that try and go fast and are achieving SFA due to the low stall rpm.

[edit]My current convertors 5200rpm infront of a powerglide. Yes it'll see street duty. As per normal. I built it to drive it.

Brenden
Old 04-18-2005, 17:38   #9 (permalink)

Don't confuse "streetable" with "can be driven on the street"
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 18:08   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Maybe he has a powerglide in it? Glides have less issues with histalls than Ford box's do.

I used to run around with a 3500 and 4500rpm histall with 4.11 gears. You could plod along @ 2000rpm with the 4500rpm convertor due to it being a good convertor. The 3500rpm convertor made by a Victorian company was a pile of crap. The 3500 wanted to always sit around 2500-3000rpm cruising. The convertor was too loose.

With the 4500, I was that confident of it's workings, I did a 400k round trip from Cranbourne->Heathcote->Bendigo->Cranbourne. You can drive around with a big stall provided you have decent rearend gearing and a decent convertor manufacturer.

Don't believe all the know it all that try and go fast and are achieving SFA due to the low stall rpm.

[edit]My current convertors 5200rpm infront of a powerglide. Yes it'll see street duty. As per normal. I built it to drive it.

Brenden
Well there you go. I'm glad I put this post forward as I was with the understanding that with a 6000 hi stall you would need 6000 rpm's to get going. A friend of mine had a ute with a 3500 hi stall and he couldn't sell it because everyone who took it for a test drive couldn't stop doing a small burnout to get off the mark. Maybe a ute thing.

Also, he is runnung a C4 which he says is doing really well.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons