update on my tidyup project - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

update on my tidyup project

Hey guys.

I finally got around to having my front and rear windscreens removed. The rear came out so nicely that the removalist reckoned I should re-use the rubber once I've replaced the damaged stainless trim. Has anyone used their original seals before and have they worked? So now that I have the rear windscreen out, do you think it would be a good idea to replace the original parcel shelf masonite? The old one is getting a little crusty around the edges. That being the case, now's the time I need to decide whether or not I want to put some sort of speaker into the rear. At the moment, there is no radio or anything at all. Keep without sound, or have sound. What's the general feeling out there about this sort of thing? Would a set of speakers decrease the appeal? Not a huge sound system... maybe 2 speakers in the rear parcel shelf, and a hidden frontdeck in the glove compartment. Which brings me to another query.. Are gloveboxes in good nic rare? I've heard that they break quite easily. I was thinking about hiding the cd player in the glovebox. Just mount it to the roof of the box and leave enough slack in the cables to allow it to open. Are the boxes hard to come by?

On a parrallel note: does anyone have a lower left side of their rear window stainless that they don't want? I'll gladly take it off their hands. - also the a pillar trim for the drivers side? Mine got bent slightly upwards when I pulled it off.

The front windscreen didn't come out as nicely I'm afraid. It's now cris-crossed with nasty looking breakages. Not a major setback as I was sort of expecting it. So I'm getting a new laminated screen with a line of tint up top - and new wipers so I don't mark it. The rust at the base of the front windscreen on the drivers side A pillar is now accessible. Looks a bit nasty, but soon the chopping will begin and I can shape a new piece and weld it in.

I have some small rust spots under where the window rubber was sitting in the rear and the front. Only tiny discolourations here and there, but nothing annoys me more than the little imperfections. Being a daily driver there will be the odd scratch here and there, but I'd like to try and fill the small stone chip like marks when I can find them. The ones I saw last night are right on the edge of where the stainless trim was. What's the best way of painting that - just rustkill, sand, prime and spraycan? keeping in mind it's very small and there's no potmarks yet. How do I stop overspray from going over my roof?

I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Re: update on my tidyup project

Sounds like its coming along great mate. Keep at it. Its costs money but the satisfaction is great when you see the improvements. It'll be a buety before ya know it at this rate. Good luck with it.
Old 07-13-2005, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

Thanks XF. It's been off the road for over a year now, and I originally purchased it to fix a few tiny things and just drive. But as it happens, one things led to another.

Just one saturday at a time. I'm hoping to have it finished before Christmas.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:23   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like its going well. Just to answer your questions about sound system and reusing rear rubber,go for it.
I just finished restoring a john goss special and made sure everything that i did was to factory specs.The restoration took me 2 years to complete. I had the same problem as to what to do with a stereo system as i only had the factory radio fitted. I ended up mounting 2x 200watt speakers in the boot up underneath the rear parcel shelf so i didnt need to cut the parcel shelf. Just remove the insulation from under the parcel shelf so the sound is not to distorted. I went to strathfields and bought a stereo mounting box which fitted perfectly at the end of my console out of sight.By looking at the car you can not see any speakers in the parcel shelf and no stereo which looks out of place in your original dash. When i put the rear window back in i also used the original rubber and didnt have a problem.
Hope all goes well, Darren.
glossy 302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

Thanks Darren.
I didn't know that there was room for speakers to fit under the parcel shelf. But I suppose without the insulation there would be. I'll have a look at that the next time I work on it. I might build on that idea and cut holes in the insulation, rather than remove the whole lot. Wouldn't the masonite muffle to sound somewhat? I'm thinking of coating the masonite in the same colour vinyl as the interior.

I'm glad to hear about the rear rubber. Mine is still nice and flexible - not perished in any way. It goes to show what taking good care of your car can do for when the time for a little tidyup occurs.

Thanks for the info Darren. Much appreciated. I'll see what I can do about pictures on Saturday - I wont have a chance until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons