upper control arm drop - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 19:34 Thread Starter
upper control arm drop

Has anyone done the upper control arm drop? if so, what results did you get? I have a 64 Ranchero and after spending 140 dollars getting the thing aligned at two different shops in my home town with no luck, handled like shit, I had another shop 40 miles away align it and man what a difference. The third shop, is old school using the measuring sticks and levels instead of a stupid computer. They mounted and balanced one tire, alignment, greased front end and tightened wheel bearings all for 30.00. They are my hero's. Still want to improve the handling as much as I can without a Mustang II suspension.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:35
Re: upper control arm drop

There are a few ways to come at it.

1) Cheapest DIY way to do a "Shelby" drop is to get a template for about $60 to make sure new drilled holes are spaced correctly. May have to "massage" the shock towers a bit w/a hammer to allow clearance for the grease fittings once UCAs are lowered.

2) Can get some UCA's that have a dropped pivot shaft. They're bloody expensive, but no shock tower drilling required.

I did a UCA drop, since aftermarket arms were out of my budget. Glad I did it though, as I think it improved the (neg) camber curve. If I can find it, I'll post a little .gif I made of the front tire on the road.

**Points to remember**
--once you do this mod, a lot of alignment shops may not want to touch your car (liability issues?).
--May (probably SHOULD) want to get a bumpsteer corrector kit. Your front end will ride lower, and b'steer may be exaggerated a bit.
--Just make sure you get the correct template to suit your car! '71-'73 "Mustang" templates drop the mounting holes directly below the originals; early Mustang templates relocate mounting holes below AND slightly rearward of original mount location. 70-'73 Torino/Montego/Ranchero/Cougar suspension components/geometry are supposed to be the same as '71-'73 Mustang.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 18:46 Thread Starter
Re: upper control arm drop

Thank you for your input. already removed one coil on the springs and it already rides much better than stock height, also added 16 inch Mustang wheels and the stance is great.
Sponsored Links

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: