What is this funny hose going to my brakes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 02:36   #1 (permalink)

What is this funny hose going to my brakes?

So, I just did a partial brake job on my 63 Falcon and was confused by this hose. It doesn't seem to go to the master cylinder.

The 2 metal ones on the side go to the wheel cylinders and the one in front goes to the master cylinder but that one on top is a real mystery. It just kinda wanders up into the frame and disappears. I cant find the other end, though maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Does any one know what this hose does or were is goes?

I am a a bit new to this classic car thing and I don't have a manual for this thing yet so any help would be very much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3991.jpg (84.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3994.jpg (119.7 KB, 8 views)
Drewfustehfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: What is this funny hose going to my brakes?

Im not sure but looking at the type of hose and considering it only has a low pressure crimp type hose clip then I wouldn't think it will be made to take full brake line pressures.

It almost lookes like a vent hose for the diff housing but its on top of the brake line junction tee for some reason. I wonder if they have somehow made that tee to accomodate the diff vent and the brake lines. Its a long shot but I'm just trying to think why it would be there. Perhaps that tee threads into the diff and has a hole in the centre that allows venting to that tube.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49   #3 (permalink)

A vent hose would make sense since I can't seem to find anything its connected to. A friend of mine suggested that it might have something to do with the break lights or somehow be a primitive return line but I havent seen any evidence to support either of these theories. Like you said, it looks lik a low pressure clamp and hose so I am kinda at a loss. I really can't imagine what this thing is there for.

I was thinking that it might have had something to do with another mysterious hose we found when we got the car. There was a vacuum hose coming from the carb spacer that had a bolt shoved and clamped into it at the end. it may have gone to something at some point though we have been unable to figure out what.

perhaps this is some sort of vacuum line?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:53   #4 (permalink)

it is the diff breather hose the bolt holding the brake lines to the diff has i hole though it going into the diff.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58   #5 (permalink)

Oh ok, so this thing is basically just a vent? That is a relief. We have been having a lot of problems with this car's brake system and I wanted to to be sure I want missing something important here. Also, explains why I couldn't find anything connected to this hose.

Thank you so much Ian.^^
Old 07-26-2011, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

you would think the differential vent tube would come up from the pumpkin not the axle tube.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 23:07   #7 (permalink)

yep but they have been there for yyears less oil being splashed around there.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons