Ford Forums banner

Whats the best bargin buy you've had?

6K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  atec77 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Many people here i asume have spent a lot of time looking through wreckers and the local paper looking for cars, parts and peices. I happened to buy two near new 265/50/14 bridgstones tyres the other day for a bargin price. Got that excited feeling knowing how cheap they were. Buy em fast!!! :hy:

I would be interested to hear what are some of the other bargins people have found over the years?

#3 ·
A friend of mine was in the states in the early 80s and bought me a ship load of spares for the 427 i was building. The best part was that the bit he sent were all SOHC parts. So now i have one of maybe four Cammers in the country. And how much did i pay, well lest just say it was a bargain.

Photo used for example only.

#4 ·
I brought a ZG fairlane 500 with 351 clevo (4 bbl holley and cam), auto, finned drum 9 inch, shaker, lowered (pedders suspension), twin 2 inch exhaust,retrimmed interior, american racer mags, on LPG for $400 off the side of the road about 2 years ago.

I bargained him down from 600....

#6 ·
About 1994 I bought a fully optioned, numbers matching XB GT coupe for $1500, the car was straight but a total rust bucket, all it was missing was the grill and radiator. The motor and trans had just been reconditioned (i did'nt believe the owner but it was true) I rebuilt the disc 9" a couple of years later and they are still going to this day in my GS coupe, I ended up selling the rusty remains including interior and ID tags (less electric windows, tinted glass, dash and some other bits & pieces) for $500. a bargain in it's self. but I definatly got my money's worth!

#7 ·
Was after a rear wing, found oner in the papers,$250, went for it, and got it.
The seller asked me if I wanted to take the other "$h!t" as well, or he would dump it.
Complete dash + trim, centre console, complete remote mirror,door trims, arm rests for XY GT in perfect condition.
Got 10 times of what I paid for the wing, without the buyer even haggle at all and the coventry wing was perfect is now on my trojan.
I want these sorta deals 5 times a day!!

#8 ·
XD Falcon ute... $3500. reco 351C on gas, C4 auto, 9 inch LSD, extractors, new exhaust, 4 corner discs, power hook, decent CD rockbox, 16 inch mags.

The 351, gas gear, C4 extractors and exhaust was removed and fitted to my dads 1990 XFN ute.

Vehicle was refitted with a 4.1 alloy head, BW-45 and returned to the road. It was then written off. As no fault we were paid $3000 minus $100 salvage (so we could keep it)

The mags are now on my car, the rock box is now a portable unit for our camping spot, the 9 inch we still have with all matching booster etc for the discs. The power steering box also found its way into the XFN, as did the tarp. We also shelved some spares...tailgate, spare wheel door, tail lights, door handles, tinted glass (full set) .
We then collected $140 at the recyclers :)

Value for money?

Cheers
Jas

#11 ·
Chartoo said:
Hi all.
Many people here i asume have spent a lot of time looking through wreckers and the local paper looking for cars, parts and peices. I happened to buy two near new 265/50/14 bridgstones tyres the other day for a bargin price. Got that excited feeling knowing how cheap they were. Buy em fast!!! :hy:

I would be interested to hear what are some of the other bargins people have found over the years?
Couple of years bacl I bought an xw sedan , 3 on the tree 6 pot for 1600$ with rwc and rego
still in the shed and waiting for a clevo
two years ago I bought a 1968 420g Jag for $1000.00
the resto is well under way and I have offers when complete for solid $ :)
but of course I have done some really dumb things as well :(

#12 ·
I bought an XW ex cop car minus motor and box but 3 interiors 6 gards basicly 3 whole cars and a 9in, gt dash,console 16m steering box ectect for $1300 3yrs ago!

I sold enough of the spares to get my money back + 1k extra

#13 ·
two weeks ago, dad brought a 1965 XP falcon "Deluxe", the previous owner had spent $1000 on the front end upgrading it ETC and had done the engine, brake booster etc etc,

we got it for $900, what a bargain, not too much rust either as the previous owner had done quite a bit of rust repairs.

it has everything for it except new rubbers and a radio.

#18 ·
got a ZH for $400. Took out the 351, FMX, nine inch, power steer and all the other bits. Sold the shell for $200.

Went to a swap meet once with ten bucks. Walked out with about $300 worth of parts and $50 in my pocket. That was a good day.

Picked up a job lot out of the paper for $50. Got a coupe rear window, rear stainless trim, GT dash, switches, braided hose, chromed bonnet flutes plus a whole heap of extras. Another fine day.

#19 ·
I just bought a XTGT for $7500 & my brother just bought a One Owner Immaculate XBGS coupe 302 4spd for $4000 , both cars purchased in the last 2 weeks ,

I've also bought a ZC Rusty Fairlane 351w FMX t-bar & 9 inch for $1000 drove that one home & wrecked it , 351 4spd XY Falcon 500 matching numbers $900 still have that one , 302w XW fairmont with 9 months rego $428.99 Drive that one everyday (the $28.99 was for the case of P!ss that sealed the deal) He was asking $1200 for the car , LOL

#20 ·
I got a one-of-500-made, three-tone '57 Customline for $2k in 1987. It had been on blocks since 1969, wrapped in blankets. Unfortunately the old bloke had done some butchering on the dash but, other than that, it was mickey.

Sold in the early 90s for 4x that.....saw one, a two-tone in similar conditions last week for late 20k.....damn it.

#23 ·
nah its not that one, its another one would you believe, lol. I'll send you a pic. I was on the verge of getting the yellow one, all was agreed but he backed out at the last second for sentimental reasons, he just cant part wiht it the ol' fella..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.