Ford Forums banner

What's an XC Fairmont coupe worth?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  GammaBoy 
#1 ·
I'm a bit embarrased considering my post in the MM replica thread considering the relativel unavailability of falcon coupes.

I went for a bit of a bike ride today as I was bored and found saw an XC coupe sitting by the side of the road about 500ms from my house :), no rego, cobwebs on tyres etc.

I was thinking of perhaps asking the present owner if he/she wants to sell it.

As far as I can tell it looks good rust-wise (non visiable in the nasty areas), got a 351, t bar auto ( a minus) and looks okay, not great but its got potential. Paint has gone off and is shit over the whole top of the car but you can't have everything right?

Any idea of what would be a good price for a vehicle of this nature?

#7 ·
By the sound's off it, if it's a vehicle that's just sitting there and has been for a while, no reg, rust, the motor is probably seized, I wouldn't pay any more than $1500, but we really need to see pic's to make a judgement.

#8 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
By the sound's off it, if it's a vehicle that's just sitting there and has been for a while, no reg, rust, the motor is probably seized, I wouldn't pay any more than $1500, but we really need to see pic's to make a judgement.
I guess there are 2 schools of thought here..

1) People thinking with hearts = too much money paid for old car :)

2)People thinking with head = right money paid for car or movement to another vehicle.

I am definately of the latter group, I left a letter in the person's mailbox haven't heard from them. Will leave another one in a months time so if I hear something then all well and good. If not then I'm not bothered and my money stays happily in the bank.

#9 ·
I remember there use to be a XB Coupe near me, was dark blue, dual exhaust, 351, etc and the owner left it growing moss in the front yard, i asked him once a week for a year to sell it but he wouldnt and left it there, then sold it to a wreckers for $800 (Friend owned the wreckers). Hope you have more like Thebow! and yea id be offering between $1000-$1500 first, maybe they have no idea what it is?

#10 ·
Go over there one day on the weekend or something and start a "I noticed you have a..." conversation..

See if he is intererested in selling. It could be one of two things...

1. a project car that is being worked on

2. a project or old car that may have been worked on, but ran out of time/money

If it is the latter and the guy is married, he will probably sell it to you in a few days. Leave your name, number...whatever...

#11 ·
blueraven said:
Go over there one day on the weekend or something and start a "I noticed you have a..." conversation..

See if he is intererested in selling. It could be one of two things...

1. a project car that is being worked on

2. a project or old car that may have been worked on, but ran out of time/money

If it is the latter and the guy is married, he will probably sell it to you in a few days. Leave your name, number...whatever...
Or go for the throat, turn up with $1500 cash in your pocket, waft it under his nose and see if he takes the bait.

#14 ·
If the car has been sitting just remember to take a few things into account. The brakes will need overhauling. The FMX will most likely need at least a full service and new gaskets. The engine could be seized. Wheel bearings will need a regrease. Tyres will be buggered if they have gone a bit flat. Thermoquad will need kitting. Before you part with any cash at all either make a ridiculous offer so that you can get the things done that need doing and/or go right over the car and check everything. Look to see if the front carpets are rotten. This will tell you if the plenum or heater box is leaking.
On the plus side, if the body is good grab the car if you can. Everything else can be fixed up over time. If it's a factory 351 there will be a nine inch disc rear end in the car. Better to save the car if you can than let it rot.

#15 ·
Paul351xb said:
If the car has been sitting just remember to take a few things into account. The brakes will need overhauling. The FMX will most likely need at least a full service and new gaskets. The engine could be seized. Wheel bearings will need a regrease. Tyres will be buggered if they have gone a bit flat. Thermoquad will need kitting. Before you part with any cash at all either make a ridiculous offer so that you can get the things done that need doing and/or go right over the car and check everything. Look to see if the front carpets are rotten. This will tell you if the plenum or heater box is leaking.
On the plus side, if the body is good grab the car if you can. Everything else can be fixed up over time. If it's a factory 351 there will be a nine inch disc rear end in the car. Better to save the car if you can than let it rot.

Yep, thanks for the tips, I will bear them in mind.. Hopefully I can catch the owner out there n a weekend and I'll hit them up.

The car as I have said has potentia,l but owners can be funny with their project cars. Some refuse to face reality and the thing will sit there until it rusts away.

#16 ·
Paul351xb said:
Having said that, Neeek, GreenMachine and BlueRaven just started and drove a ZH fairlane that had been sitting for 3 years. Not just around the Block either, they drove it 300+km! (I don't necessarily condone this approach, but heck. it worked)

So you can get lucky. I personally let my XC ute sit for 18 months without being driven. Smoked a little for the 1st 10km, but after that was fine... Didn't bother checking the dipstick on thatone. Just stuck 2l of oil in it whenever the lifters started rattling and it started running a bit slugishly...Christ clevo's are tough...

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.