wreckers car - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 14:54   #1 (permalink)

wreckers car

hey all
i went down to the local wreckers yesterday after a grill for my Xc, and after being totaly shocked at the prices for dodgy parts, he offered me a xc gxl with all options except for sunroof for 1400.

well the body is in pritty bad ( he recons orignal) condition, interiour is ok, no idea on the condition of the 302/c10/lsd. the guy recons its 'drivable', but inless you have a death wish i dont think thats an option.

what i wanna know is if its worth that much, as i havent got much experence in this field. what you guys think?

thanks for ya's time

Edit: this was in vic
Pk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 16:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: wreckers car

Hi PK2000,
What is your wish list for the XC and more importantly,
what do you really need?
I've bought too many "bargain" wrecks over the years
and getting rid of the stuff I didn't need or use was more
of a hassle than the stuff I did need was worth, let alone
the storage problems.
Let us know what you need, might be able to help.
Will.
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 17:08   #3 (permalink)

I paid $2200 for mine in '92 with 12 months rego and virtually no rust. Not that this helps you at all. What colour is the GXL and is the interior any good? I dont hink I could ever buy a car from a wrecker knowing they would have paid very little for it, $200-$300 tops!, MAYBE $500 at a stretch!! If you want a GXL you might as well look for a good one. Mine owes me about $50 grand now, lol
Old 01-06-2005, 17:31   #4 (permalink)

what i have got:
- bonnet
- glx dash
- v8 bumper bar

well my 'wish list' does something like this:

- the twin grill ( driving lights )
- i need better condition doors, and 1/4 pannels due to dodgy repares ages ago
- rear Disks
- rear tail lights
- over riders
- some time in the middle of the year i may go v8 so ill probaby need a 'box

ive looked around a bit, i dont mind paying fair prices for stuff, but the wrecker guy wanted like 300 bucks for a grill (no lights/mounts/wiring) in pritty shabby condition or 500 for a good one (still nothing else) i told him to stick that pritty much.
Old 01-06-2005, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Buff XC

twin driving lights were not on the GXL's, only square, so it won't be an authentic GXL with the twin light grille. Tail lights were same throughout every model, were'nt they? Finding tidy doors on a wrecked/run-down XC is like looking for hens teeth. Over riders are easy to source, as are V8 auto boxes. Rear discs (and lsd 9") a bit harder.

I have a NOS Grey GXL grille plus attachments, and black bumper overriders, and XC tail lights. PM me if interested.

And i'd call that wrecker car a rip-off. $400 tops!!!
XC Falcon Sedan, monza red/jet black, 351C, twin 2.25" zorst, T5 V8-spec with CRS bell-housing, AU thermofans, 3.23 LSD diff, dual fuel, rally-pack spec, black/red interior, cruise control, sports seats, 17x8 ROH Drift-R's.
164rwkw - 15.3 @ 92.5
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 19:36   #6 (permalink)

I have one VERY good rear disk left over and a pretty good set of tail lights. The rear disk was on E Bay but didnt sell.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEUS:IT
I sold the last set of tail lights for $50 (pair) which is what I paid for them at the wreckers. There are a couple of cracks in the back but they are much better then average, can email you more pics if you like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC tail lights.jpg (60.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-06-2005, 19:44   #7 (permalink)

sorry wasn't clear, i would like a disk rear as i got dodgy drums.... and you guys have pms
Old 01-06-2005, 20:30   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You'll find a 9" disc rear end in any Fairlane for about $300->$500 max. $300 as is and $500 reco. The diff ratio will either be 2.75 or 3.00 unless the gears have been changed. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole car and wreck it out.

An example of this is the XB I bought to restore. With all the extra's left over I made back the purchase price of the car ($2300) + some more $ for me. Total back so far is around $3500.

A 3.5 LSD 9" disc rear complete sells for around $1000-$1500. I sold a reco 9" disc rearend complete @ mates rates to a friend last year. As I had no use for 2 9" LSD disc rearends.

Brenden
Old 01-06-2005, 21:56   #9 (permalink)

An XC 9 inch, (LSD and disks) goes for $500 as is or $900 plus for a reco up here. Mine was $300 from a mate who paid $500 for the whole car (ZH Marquis). Over two years of use it now has new centre, ratio change, billet axles, gold drilled and slotted rotors, rebuilt calipers and owes me $2500 all up not including the powder coated housing which was free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear disks small.jpg (35.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-06-2005, 22:17   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Thats why you don't buy them out of an XC They are exactly the same diff as the Fairlane one, but you pay extra because it comes from an XC??? A 9" that is 3.0 or 2.75 LSD ain't worth much at all. The only time a 9" should be fitted in replacement for a b/w diff is to get better ratio selections. No sense spending $ for a 9" with 2.75 or 3.0 when a LSD b/w the same ratio will cost $100 and handle the power just the same. Anything with a 2.75->3.00 diff isn't going to be a power house.

[edit] when they get to 3.5/3.7/3.9/4.11 and onward they fetch decent $ as they are more sought after by people that drag race or are just setting the drivetrain to suit a decent sized cam.

[edit]b/w diffs are cheap. So cheap I through out a b/w LSD when I got rid of my old XB chassis.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons