XA Coupe Trim - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38   #1 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

XA Coupe Trim

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody can help me out with my upholstery and interior trim in the coupe.

What I need is factory white interior - at the mo door cards and hoodlining have been sprayed black and i have the factory maroon/burgundy (fairmont coupe?) upholstery.

Firstly - are the door cards and hoodlining salvagable by using some sort of thinner, maybe turps?

Secondly - does anyone wanna swap white for burgundy upholstery?

If no to any of the above, is there anywhere in oz that can supply either NOS or repro of any of the items? I know GT performance parts have some XB coupe stuff - is the XB interior the same as XA interior (Im pretty sure it is?)

My mate is an upholsterer and he said for him to do it I would need to allow at least 4-5K using period correct material, but at least then I would know what I was getting.

Any info or advice appreciated!

Cheers, Cheyne.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 02:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: XA Coupe Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody can help me out with my upholstery and interior trim in the coupe.

What I need is factory white interior - at the mo door cards and hoodlining have been sprayed black and i have the factory maroon/burgundy (fairmont coupe?) upholstery.

Firstly - are the door cards and hoodlining salvagable by using some sort of thinner, maybe turps?

Secondly - does anyone wanna swap white for burgundy upholstery?

If no to any of the above, is there anywhere in oz that can supply either NOS or repro of any of the items? I know GT performance parts have some XB coupe stuff - is the XB interior the same as XA interior (Im pretty sure it is?)

My mate is an upholsterer and he said for him to do it I would need to allow at least 4-5K using period correct material, but at least then I would know what I was getting.

Any info or advice appreciated!

Cheers, Cheyne.
You are in the same boat I was in. My car had been re-trimmed in black and the door cards painted. I had the seats trimmed in the original material. The door cards I got from Dash Original in Adelaide. I fact my set were the first ones they did. The took my old trim material to make the dies for the heat stich. They are perfect. About $650 a set, you send your door trim tops. Clean the door handles best you can using thinners and then paint them white with vinyl dye.

We are doing a XA Fairmont at the moment thats also white trim. We will get the door cards from them again.

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
You are in the same boat I was in. My car had been re-trimmed in black and the door cards painted. I had the seats trimmed in the original material. The door cards I got from Dash Original in Adelaide. I fact my set were the first ones they did. The took my old trim material to make the dies for the heat stich. They are perfect. About $650 a set, you send your door trim tops.
Steve
What he said! Dash Original is the best I've found. I have their door cards, rear seat cards, and dash pad. Their dash pad it perfect. I changed the color of my car and I plan on switching out to a white interior and I'll use Dash Original again.

--J
XAFALCONGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 23:31   #4 (permalink)
Go the GT's

I had mine done by Reg at Muscle Cars Motor Trimmers, He has the correct material, and Polyweld does the piping. Mine cost me 500 for the door trims in factory white...actually it's slightly off white, as the correct colour and correct 72 grain material. Seats were about 1k for correct xa gt trim, plus 3 to 600 to fit them depending on condition of padding in seats. All the places like Grand Tourer and Gt Ford Perf get em from Reg. If the trims are painted, chances are you will never get them back to the right colour. All you need to send off is as Steve said, the metal tops, thats it.

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:07   #5 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagt_coupe
If the trims are painted, chances are you will never get them back to the right colour. All you need to send off is as Steve said, the metal tops, thats it.
Yeah i took to it with some thinners, seems that the reason that they have been sprayed would be coz they are faded badly, you can see quite cleary the distinction between where trim on door cards shut behind dash (nice bright white) and what was exposed to the sun (quite a yellow tinge to it).

Havent attacked the roof lining as yet. Would say that im going to have to replace everything.

Through GT performance ford im looking at $1200 for seat trim, $800 for door trim, and $200 for roof lining. Then I also have to allow for freight to NZ - dunno how much that will be? Sent them an email havent heard back as yet.

Would this be all i need or there other miscellaneous items that are not included? ie kick panels?

Also forgot - the metal top you guys are talking about - is that the thin chrome strip at the very top of the door card? or am i missing something?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Yeah i took to it with some thinners, seems that the reason that they have been sprayed would be coz they are faded badly, you can see quite cleary the distinction between where trim on door cards shut behind dash (nice bright white) and what was exposed to the sun (quite a yellow tinge to it).

Havent attacked the roof lining as yet. Would say that im going to have to replace everything.

Through GT performance ford im looking at $1200 for seat trim, $800 for door trim, and $200 for roof lining. Then I also have to allow for freight to NZ - dunno how much that will be? Sent them an email havent heard back as yet.

Would this be all i need or there other miscellaneous items that are not included? ie kick panels?

Also forgot - the metal top you guys are talking about - is that the thin chrome strip at the very top of the door card? or am i missing something?
i would be carfull using thinners on the vinyl.

i accidently spilled a couple of drops of thinners on my LH back door trim once and it took the colour straight out. that was on tan trim.
it was instantanious ( or however you spell it ) i nearly cryed because these door trims were still like new .

also some plasics/vinyls will shrink up and wrinkle with thinners.

maybe prepso will work,
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 18:16   #7 (permalink)
Go the GT's

No the metal top we refer too is the top bit of the door trim, take it off the door, turn it around (back), and the top inch or two that curvs up over the door frame is light steel, these are the bits the trimmer needs. Gt Ford Perf get their stuff from the guy I use, I can give you his number if you want to save some $$$. He will deal direct. Kick panels wont be a part of any of it, they will be upto you to source, I just got a perfect set of genuine white b-pillar ones for my car and they cost a fair bit, so if you can re-cycle, then do.

Old 11-17-2005, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Quote:
No the metal top we refer too is the top bit of the door trim, take it off the door, turn it around (back), and the top inch or two that curvs up over the door frame is light steel, these are the bits the trimmer needs.
thanks for that

Quote:
Gt Ford Perf get their stuff from the guy I use, I can give you his number if you want to save some $$$. He will deal direct
Yeah would be good if i could grab his number

Quote:
Kick panels wont be a part of any of it, they will be upto you to source, I just got a perfect set of genuine white b-pillar ones for my car and they cost a fair bit, so if you can re-cycle, then do.
Ok - would these be the only other bit I would need to complete a factory white interior?

Cheers, Cheyne
Old 11-18-2005, 03:19   #9 (permalink)
Go the GT's

Pretty much, you will need the white inserts that go behind the back seat, and the material for the sides of your parcel shelf too. Reg can supply all that.
His number is....07 32946805.

The b-pillar kick panels, best bet is white vinyl spray, second handies will cost nearly 100, and still need work

Donny

Old 11-19-2005, 04:25   #10 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Quote:
Pretty much, you will need the white inserts that go behind the back seat, and the material for the sides of your parcel shelf too. Reg can supply all that.
His number is....07 32946805.

The b-pillar kick panels, best bet is white vinyl spray, second handies will cost nearly 100, and still need work

Donny

Hey, cheers for that Donny.

With the vinyl spray is there a particular code for the off white to match up?

Or am I best to wait for everything else to arrive and take something in and get the paint guys to match up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons