XA Falcon Coupe and Ute Floorpans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 22:39   #1 (permalink)
XA Falcon Fiend!

XA Falcon Coupe and Ute Floorpans

I'm preparing to sling a new driveline into my coupe. I'd like to use the current driveline from one of my utes, as it needs to be stripped for rust repairs and resto, so am wondering if the exhaust will bolt up with or without mods to suit the coupe. The Pacemakers will be fine, but what about the twin 2.25" system thats currently on the ute - will it work, or will it be easier and better to fit a new twin system to the coupe? The current ute exhuast is in perfect condition, so I'd like to reuse it if possible.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: XA Falcon Coupe and Ute Floorpans

I think the ute's wheelbase is longer than a coupe. Coupe is the same as a sedan. I think PV/Ute and wagon have the same wheelbase.

Brenden
Old 03-14-2005, 01:45   #3 (permalink)
5.8 litre

The Utes have the same wheelbase as a fairlane.
xd351ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:52   #4 (permalink)

The exhaust will just require shortening from the headers to mufflers (about 2-3 inches)and the tailshaft will be to long.
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:34   #5 (permalink)
XA Falcon Fiend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I think the ute's wheelbase is longer than a coupe. Coupe is the same as a sedan. I think PV/Ute and wagon have the same wheelbase.

Brenden
My understanding is that a coupe wheelbase is unique to the coupe - it has a dedicated tailshaft smaller, compared to the sedan, wagon, ute, and fairlane. I'm uncertain of the specification of an LTD as I believe they are 5" longer throught the rear doors, but that doesn't concern me with this question. The tailshaft also doesn't concern me as I currently have a tailshaft in the coupe that will be reused. How the Coupe wheelbase relates back to exhaust - I'm not sure?

I understand that the wheel base of both a wagon and ute are the same - they look to have identical floorpans, with a different location for the fuel tank (A load carrying feature I'm sure, for the ute with the relocated fuel tank).

if the exhaust fitment is simply a case of shortening it by 2-3", I'll happily attack it with the pipe cutters - can anyone confirm please?

IS THE REAR OF THE COUPE AND UTE THE SAME FORMATION AND PROFILE?

DO THE COUPE AND THE UTE HAVE THE SAME LENGTH FROM THE DIFF TO THE END OF THE BODY WORK?

Important questions that must be answered!!!!!!
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
My understanding is that a coupe wheelbase is unique to the coupe - it has a dedicated tailshaft smaller, compared to the sedan, wagon, ute, and fairlane. I'm uncertain of the specification of an LTD as I believe they are 5" longer throught the rear doors, but that doesn't concern me with this question. The tailshaft also doesn't concern me as I currently have a tailshaft in the coupe that will be reused. How the Coupe wheelbase relates back to exhaust - I'm not sure?

I understand that the wheel base of both a wagon and ute are the same - they look to have identical floorpans, with a different location for the fuel tank (A load carrying feature I'm sure, for the ute with the relocated fuel tank).

if the exhaust fitment is simply a case of shortening it by 2-3", I'll happily attack it with the pipe cutters - can anyone confirm please?

IS THE REAR OF THE COUPE AND UTE THE SAME FORMATION AND PROFILE?

DO THE COUPE AND THE UTE HAVE THE SAME LENGTH FROM THE DIFF TO THE END OF THE BODY WORK?

Important questions that must be answered!!!!!!

Sedans have the same wheel base, whether they had two doors or four (ford aus never made a falcon coupe). You will have to shorten the main pipe from the extractors to the muffler. Depending on any bends that are in the pipe you may have to cut the front and not the back. The tailshaft on sedans (both 2 and 4 door) are different length to a ute/fairlane/wagon. The sedan tailshaft is basically the same length all the way through the models. For example, an XB is the same length as an EA...... beleive or not. So, now start thinking about putting an aluminium EF one in....... The rear flange is different, but that can be taken off. I'm pretty sure they have 1310 uni's as well.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons

Related Reading: XA Falcon Coupe and Ute Floorpans