XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Can hear Calder Park Raceway
Age: 51
Posts: 335
XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Just wondering if these models had "factory" mounting points
for swaybars and tramprods.

If not, what factory or aftermarket products should I be looking at?
I've been to the Whiteline (Selby) and Pedders sites, and both have
swaybar products listed for these models.

Re tramprods (factory), I understand there are different lengths for coupe and sedan,
where they available on the ZH Fairlane? as these are the same wheelbase
as the utes.

I thought I'd post here rather than in "Suspension" as anyone that would
know is here somewhere!

Thanks, Will.
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2005, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 475
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

The factory tramprods were the same length on sedans and two doors. It was the LTDs that were longer. All of the LTDs had them, not sure about the 351 4V fairlanes, though. The mounting holes won't be in the rails.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gisborne, Victoria
Age: 53
Posts: 442
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
The factory tramprods were the same length on sedans and two doors. It was the LTDs that were longer. All of the LTDs had them, not sure about the 351 4V fairlanes, though. The mounting holes won't be in the rails.
You are right on this one. It should also be noted that the tramp rod on My XA GT has a special bracket mounted on the chassis rail. On my Landau its jost a bolt that goes through a reinforced hole.

The XA/B tramp rods are difficult to mount on the later XC diffs as the caliper is at the rear instead of the front of the diff (anyone know why?). I cant remember if the Post 76 (P6) LTDs had them or not. I have never seen them on a Fairlane or a GXL with 351 4V. Remember only the ZH Fairlanes had 351 4vs. If you want to fit them you will need the longer LTD rod.

As for the sway bar mounts, all XC GXLs had them on the rear with a factory mount. Lesser models had to wait for the Update to get them.

Steve
__________________
Cosmic Blue XA GT Hardtop,
Tropical Gold Landau,
Neptune Blue XC 5.8 Fairmont Hardtop,
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 475
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
You are right on this one.
Thanks....


Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
It should also be noted that the tramp rod on My XA GT has a special bracket mounted on the chassis rail. On my Landau its jost a bolt that goes through a reinforced hole.
That's because the early XAs ('72) had the bracket, and only them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
The XA/B tramp rods are difficult to mount on the later XC diffs as the caliper is at the rear instead of the front of the diff (anyone know why?). I cant remember if the Post 76 (P6) LTDs had them or not. I have never seen them on a Fairlane or a GXL with 351 4V. Remember only the ZH Fairlanes had 351 4vs. If you want to fit them you will need the longer LTD rod.
Yep, post '76 LTDs had them. It was a different bracket to clear the calipers. It actually had a wider spot for the u-bolt as well, so you can fit 1/2" ubolts instead of the std 7/16".


Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
As for the sway bar mounts, all XC GXLs had them on the rear with a factory mount. Lesser models had to wait for the Update to get them.

Steve
I'll take your word on this one........!!!


Actually, I have some in the shed somewhere...... Might have to drag them out. I am pretty sure I have a set of Rolls Royce LTD ones left....
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Can hear Calder Park Raceway
Age: 51
Posts: 335
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

So it might be possible to fit fit both sedan and P6 rods if I can also source the
chassis brackets?
BUT!! did they only fit 9 inch diffs? or will the fit on BW?
My ute is a late 1979 XC so I'll have have a closer look for swaybar and rod mounts,
but I didn't spot anything resembling these.
Thanks for the input, it really helps all of us!!
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:29   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Perth Hills WA
Posts: 540
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD Ute
So it might be possible to fit fit both sedan and P6 rods if I can also source the
chassis brackets?
BUT!! did they only fit 9 inch diffs? or will the fit on BW?
My ute is a late 1979 XC so I'll have have a closer look for swaybar and rod mounts,
but I didn't spot anything resembling these.
Thanks for the input, it really helps all of us!!
Will,
As of September '78 all Falcons and Fairmonts were fitted with the XD axle (Borg Warner). These diffs had two square mounting points on the underside of the axle for the sway bar. As of January '79, all Fairlanes and LTD's got the Borg Warner diffs as well.

With respect to the Tramp rods they were only ever fitted to the XC 5.8 litre manual cars (see attached excerpt from XA-XC/ZF-ZG parts manual). I currently have 9 P6 LTD's, of which none have tramp rods fitted. I have never seen a P6 with a tramp rod fitted either. Also, the workshop manual does not show a fitment of them either. They are however fitted to all P5 LTD's.

With respect to the tramp rods, yes they should fit the Borg Warner diffs as the tramp rods were also fitted onto police pursuit cars (manual 5.8 XD's) of which, all were Borg Warner diffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
Yep, post '76 LTDs had them. It was a different bracket to clear the calipers. It actually had a wider spot for the u-bolt as well, so you can fit 1/2" ubolts instead of the std 7/16".


Actually, I have some in the shed somewhere...... Might have to drag them out. I am pretty sure I have a set of Rolls Royce LTD ones left....
RPO83, I don't mean to be argumentitive, but have you had a P6 LTD with these rods fitted?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg RR.jpeg (79.1 KB, 28 views)
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 19:58   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 475
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull
RPO83, I don't mean to be argumentitive, but have you had a P6 LTD with these rods fitted?
No prob, I don't mind creative criticism. Yes, I have owned one 1977 Rolls Royce LTD. It was all original. Still had the "correct" Thermoquad fitted (correct as in the right part number for a 351 auto). It had the tramprods fitted, with the factory reinforcing hole in the rail. I ended up wrecking this out, and as I stated earlier, I am pretty sure I still have them somewhere.

I went through a stage where I wrecked out heaps of 70's Fords and kept all the "good" bits for myself, while selling all of the mainstream parts (engines, boxes, diffs, etc). I now have no room, and am slowly selling stuff that I don't need any longer (incl the RPO sedan). So, these rods will end up on ebay (if I still have them) with some other bits and peices.Last time I checked I had 2 or 3 sets left, and I am fairly certain the LTD ones are one of them.

It seems that I must of had something of a rare vehicle, as you have 9 of these vehicles, and none have the rods fitted, but my one vehicle did. Oh, and while I am remembering stuff from back then, I must say that none of the Fairlanes had them, even the 351 4Vs. I couldn't remember earlier, but I have since thought about it some more; lots of years ago and lots of cars....... On the subject of rare cars, I wrecked a ZH with 302, C4, 9"-factory.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 21:59   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Perth Hills WA
Posts: 540
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO-083
No prob, I don't mind creative criticism. Yes, I have owned one 1977 Rolls Royce LTD. It was all original. Still had the "correct" Thermoquad fitted (correct as in the right part number for a 351 auto). It had the tramprods fitted, with the factory reinforcing hole in the rail. I ended up wrecking this out, and as I stated earlier, I am pretty sure I still have them somewhere.

I went through a stage where I wrecked out heaps of 70's Fords and kept all the "good" bits for myself, while selling all of the mainstream parts (engines, boxes, diffs, etc). I now have no room, and am slowly selling stuff that I don't need any longer (incl the RPO sedan). So, these rods will end up on ebay (if I still have them) with some other bits and peices.Last time I checked I had 2 or 3 sets left, and I am fairly certain the LTD ones are one of them.

It seems that I must of had something of a rare vehicle, as you have 9 of these vehicles, and none have the rods fitted, but my one vehicle did. Oh, and while I am remembering stuff from back then, I must say that none of the Fairlanes had them, even the 351 4Vs. I couldn't remember earlier, but I have since thought about it some more; lots of years ago and lots of cars....... On the subject of rare cars, I wrecked a ZH with 302, C4, 9"-factory.
All May/June ZH Fairlane/Marquis' had 2 barrel point set up engines, all had the C10 auto as well as all had the Ford 9 inch diff (XB diff that is). The reason for this is that they were effectiely getting rid of XB parts. However, as of 1 July, ADR27A was introduced and so came the standard fitment of the 4 barrel Carter to all cars.

After this point, all 4.9 Fairlane/Marquis' had the C10/Borg Warner set up with points ignition (until update in April 78) and all 5.8 Fairlane/Marquis' had the FMX/9 inch setup (until December 78 and then Borg Warner 28 spline/4 pinion diff was introduced).

The only difference between the early ZH's was obviously the capacity of the engine as well as the diff ratio.

Paul
ps yes, I would dare say that you had a very rare P6 as I too have wrecked heaps of 5.8 ZH Fairlanes/Marquis' and P6 LTD's with no Tramp Rods fitted.
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:27   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 475
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull
The only difference between the early ZH's was obviously the capacity of the engine as well as the diff ratio.
.
It was a 3:1 LSD disc brake with the centre mount brake hose setup. Basically a manual XB GT diff.....

And, from memory, it had a 2V 302. So, yeah, everything sounds fine; apart from my LTD with tramp rods......
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 17:23   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
landau37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: wollongong
Posts: 197
Re: XA-XC Ute chassis mounting points

Is it true that the xc intercepters (x boys in blue) only had one rod, also rpo sedan how much would that go for ?
landau37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:17.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.