XB airconditioning vents - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan
 
lilMattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: QLD, Australia
Age: 29
Posts: 283
XB airconditioning vents

Hey all.

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you all had a blast.

Can anyone post me some pictures of their underdash air con units in their XB's? The factory fitted ones which stretch under the length of the dash?
Mine is almost ready to go back together, but I still haven't decided whether it's worth the risk of getting the vents rechromed (which means I'm stuffed if it fails) or just to paint them gloss black or something.

Anyway, pictures are welcome as I'd like to see how they look.

Thanks.
Matt
__________________
I'll be outa siiiiiggghhhtttt...
When I get my wheels, I won't even wave goodbye!
lilMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2006, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gisborne, Victoria
Age: 53
Posts: 442
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMattie
Hey all.

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope you all had a blast.

Can anyone post me some pictures of their underdash air con units in their XB's? The factory fitted ones which stretch under the length of the dash?
Mine is almost ready to go back together, but I still haven't decided whether it's worth the risk of getting the vents rechromed (which means I'm stuffed if it failes) or just to paint them gloss black or something.

Anyway, pictures are welcome as I'd like to see how they look.

Thanks.
Matt
Matt

Under dash air was never factory fitted. In those days there were aircon centers that fitted after market type under dash to most cars. Also the dealers used to con people into fitting under dash air as the mark up on factory air made them nothing where as they made a huge margin on dealer fitted air.

Steve
__________________
Cosmic Blue XA GT Hardtop,
Tropical Gold Landau,
Neptune Blue XC 5.8 Fairmont Hardtop,
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:06   #3 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan
 
lilMattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: QLD, Australia
Age: 29
Posts: 283
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg66me
Matt

Under dash air was never factory fitted. In those days there were aircon centers that fitted after market type under dash to most cars. Also the dealers used to con people into fitting under dash air as the mark up on factory air made them nothing where as they made a huge margin on dealer fitted air.

Steve
hmm.. then perhaps mine was dealer fitted. I've always thought that factory air was an option with the XB's.

I've seen several types of underdash. There's the short stumpy (nasty) type that had 2 vents and was sold by repco. - which I thought were the dealer fits. And then there were the ones that were moulded to fit under the XA/B dashes perfectly. There was a short and a long version.. I have the long which stretches from the corner of the passenger side, right over to about 4" past the handbrake handle.
__________________
I'll be outa siiiiiggghhhtttt...
When I get my wheels, I won't even wave goodbye!
lilMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:48   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gisborne, Victoria
Age: 53
Posts: 442
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMattie
hmm.. then perhaps mine was dealer fitted. I've always thought that factory air was an option with the XB's.

I've seen several types of underdash. There's the short stumpy (nasty) type that had 2 vents and was sold by repco. - which I thought were the dealer fits. And then there were the ones that were moulded to fit under the XA/B dashes perfectly. There was a short and a long version.. I have the long which stretches from the corner of the passenger side, right over to about 4" past the handbrake handle.
The Repco type is not dealer fit, thats the type those after market guys used to fit. Yours is a dealer fit. That would be a rare piece these days so I would try to get it restored if it was mine.

Factory air is intergrated (heat, cool, demist etc) and has two extra vents in the centre of the dash. The right hand one fits into that squarish blank plate.

I remember a company car we had that had that kind of air. In those days our company cars always had dealer fit air.

Steve
__________________
Cosmic Blue XA GT Hardtop,
Tropical Gold Landau,
Neptune Blue XC 5.8 Fairmont Hardtop,
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 22:32   #5 (permalink)
Go the GT's
 
xagt_coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: QLD
Posts: 650
Re: XB airconditioning vents

I also remember the system you describe, and have a few pics of them somewhere on dvd's. They seem quite rare now days, so if it all still goes, tidy it up as best as u can afford. There were a few companies doing the ugly under dash systems, awa and email air if memory serves. These were fitted by air con fitters as customer or fleet orders by 3rd party companies. They were fairly efficient compared to the factory systems, but dog ugly, and if u wanted to keep your console, it had to be cut and butchered. These were by far the most common fitted systems to our cars.

Donny
__________________
Homepages:-

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/fairmon.../The_Beast.htm
My old XB GT & XD Ghia and GT Coupe Pages 1 to 8

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon2/doorxagt351
My GT Coupe Pages 9 and up

Page updated 13/08/2005....
xagt_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:27   #6 (permalink)
old B - new B
 
351cid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sunshine coast QLD
Age: 50
Posts: 890
Re: XB airconditioning vents

i have only ever seen one car fitted with the profiled under dash air cond system that you are describing.

it is in an orange `75 XB GT coupe

from memory it goes from the left hand kick panel across to the hand brake and follows the shape of the dash
takes up a fair bit of the leg room.
__________________
dave
`75 XB FAIRMONT SEDAN injected 351, toplaoder, disc brake 9", factory paint+ vinyl roof.
`03 BA XLS ute - lpg, auto, lsd, acid rush paint,
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan
 
lilMattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: QLD, Australia
Age: 29
Posts: 283
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351cid
i have only ever seen one car fitted with the profiled under dash air cond system that you are describing.

it is in an orange `75 XB GT coupe

from memory it goes from the left hand kick panel across to the hand brake and follows the shape of the dash
takes up a fair bit of the leg room.
That's right! It's nice to know that I have a rare item.

I'll take some photo's of the faceplate for you all to have a glance at. It doesn't take up too much legroom. The whole thing is only about 150mm high. It fills out the dash a lot more.
__________________
I'll be outa siiiiiggghhhtttt...
When I get my wheels, I won't even wave goodbye!
lilMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 18:29   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Road runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 256
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Is this what you are on about? Scroll down to 14th car (Polar white XBGT with protection pack) last pic, has a black air con unit running underneath the glove box following the lines of the dash.

Factory air?
Road runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan
 
lilMattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: QLD, Australia
Age: 29
Posts: 283
Re: XB airconditioning vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road runner
Is this what you are on about? Scroll down to 14th car (Polar white XBGT with protection pack) last pic, has a black air con unit running underneath the glove box following the lines of the dash.

Factory air?
Yeah, that's it. I'll put a direct link to the image on.



Now, what do you guys think those vents would look like in black? to continue the theme of the rest of the dash which is darkbrown and black blank panels, airvents, instrument cluster etc.
__________________
I'll be outa siiiiiggghhhtttt...
When I get my wheels, I won't even wave goodbye!
lilMattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.