XB Coupe chrome door trim attachment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10   #1 (permalink)

confused XB Coupe chrome door trim attachment

Hello,

I have an XB Coupe and wish to install the chrome trims that run along the outside top of the doors and rear quarter windows (along the bottom of the window glass). I have all the trims, but no idea how they are attached.

I've seen pop rivets that are designed to stand proud and provide a post for clips to attach (Rare Spares I think I saw them), is this the right path?
Also, is there supposed to be a rubber piece or similar to separate the trim from the body panel paintwork?

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

TRªv
Aussie Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 07:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: XB Coupe chrome door trim attachment

Hi Trav,

Seriously old thread, but I thought better to add to this than to open a new one.

Did you end up figuring it out?

My doors already have the pins sticking out, and I do have the plastic clips that fit into them and I suppose the stainless slides on? However, due to the slope of the door, i can't slide it past the first clip from the front, nor the back as guiding it through the second clip makes the second one pop out. So I am sure I am doing it wrong.

Would love a nudge in the correct direction.

Cheers
Steve

door clips here:
SteveZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39   #3 (permalink)

Re: XB Coupe chrome door trim attachment

Steve,

I bought a set of those clips and still wasn't sure, so I went to a panel shop and asked them. Long story short, they said if it's not a 100% restoration, just glue them on like all modern cars do with their trims. They said if I ever want to take them off again, open the door, roll down the window and drag piano wire or similar under the trim to cut the adhesive.
I eventually did stick them on with some adhesive being really careful so that you couldn't see the 'glue'. I filled the back of the trim in about 6 or 8 places, and then put in on the door with masking tape to hold it in place until it dried. From memory I used 'Parfix' brand that I bought at Bunnings which looked like black silicone.
They look great and have never come off, so it did the job for me.

I'm sorry that this doesn't help you with your problem though.
I've seen trims that 'push' on, meaning that you would place the plastic clips on the door pins and then press the chrome trim onto them. Other than that I could only suggest to ask a panel shop like I did.
If you do figure it out, perhaps post here so the next person with the same problem can find the answer.
Good luck!

TRªv
Aussie Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons