XB GT coupe I saw. Need advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 16:24   #1 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

XB GT coupe I saw. Need advice

Spotted a very nive looking xbgt coupe on the side of the road as I was driving. It was near some workers. I kept going but it got the better of me so I went back for a second look and to see if I could spot the owner.

Well, I did get to have a chat to the owner. He reckons its sort of for sale, if someone makes him the right offer. So heres the details.

Its got a 2v 351, fmx auto, factory sun roof, factory power steering and air conditioning. All matching numbers, original paint, very straight. There is only one blemish on the paint at the rear right quarter. One of his mates opened his door into it, he has it all ready to be sprayed. The interior is in very top condition. Excpet for one rip in the drivers seat. The rip is in a common spot, where your hip rolls out of the car as you exit the vehicel. The rip is on the back support part of seat. Other than these things the car is a stunna.

Not original wheels, but I think he has the originals in garage, and not original heads, but he said he has the originals in the garage and would sell with the car.

So what do you think would be a reasonable offer. I didnt look at the km's done sorry. But to look at it it wouldnt be alot, he said he only drives it out once a week and then only 10km each direction.

74' Sandstone Biege XBGT, 351, FMX, Sunroof, Air Con, Power Steering.
Black EX-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 16:38   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: XB GT coupe I saw. Need advice

Does it have power windows?

What colour is it?

Need to check the numbers to see if it is the genuine article...

But $18-22k???
that is as is. blemish and tear included....
Old 10-25-2004, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

No power windows.

I didnt check the color code. But it is a very nice silver metallic, with the black bonnet section. I didnt check numbers yet. But he said it was all matching numbers, I will take him at his word for now. He said he owned it for 16 years.

Old 10-25-2004, 16:52   #4 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

how much do you want to pay for it? that is how much it is worth.
have a look at e-bay and you'll see what i mean. i do and think to myself "he's crazy for paying that much", on the other hand if he's happy to pay that much, so be it.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

and thats fair enough, but I am after opinions on what they think its worth. Dont want to insult him with a stupid offer etc.

Old 10-25-2004, 17:02   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i see what you mean. try mid teens and work with him from there. good luck, it sounds very nice.
Old 10-25-2004, 17:49   #7 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

The first step is to get the numbers, then give Ford a call (13FORD) to find out what options it left the factory with. In my opinion auto, factory roof, a/c & power steering are great GT options so based on your description offers up to $20k would be a good place to start.
Old 10-25-2004, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
Fatso

Unrestored would go a bit cheaper wouldn't it? If this ones done a few k's and is showing some wear then I would have thought mid to late teens. As said earlier, what would you pay, as someone may really-really want one and be willing to pay a bomb for it!
Old 10-25-2004, 18:09   #9 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeCruiser09
Unrestored would go a bit cheaper wouldn't it? If this ones done a few k's and is showing some wear then I would have thought mid to late teens. As said earlier, what would you pay, as someone may really-really want one and be willing to pay a bomb for it!
Very true. Its hard to say just how much work it needs based on the description. If I was writing the cheque I'd have a good look at a few things:

1) Originality: finding an unmolested GT these days is like winning the lottery, so to me an unrestored car is much more valuable than one that has been modified and or been given a bodgy paint job.

2) Options: as I said above I'm a sucker for the "luxo-barge" GT options, so to me things like a/c, sun roof etc are worth more. Other people like the "povery pack" GTs without all the heavy extras as they are closer to the race cars. Its all personal preference and you should adjust your offer accordingly.

3) Rarity: Have a look at the colours HERE to see what the paint codes mean & how many were made. The coupe colour breakup isnt finalised yet, but the sedans will give you an idea.

I use the above to put a value on a car, but obviously the value will change from person to person. I'd offer $15k staight up & see what he says :)
Old 10-25-2004, 18:27   #10 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

i tend to agree with the colour rarety up to a point. there are some in there that i would not consider, therefore i would not pay the money no matter how rare.
xb's tended to be optioned up a bit more than earlier cousins, probably people by this stage were looking for refinement rather than raw power. the xb with all the options was a true GT in the sense of the words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons