Ford Forums banner

Xb v XC body differences?

13K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Paul351xb 
#1 ·
I have just bought an XB GT sedan and it is not in exactly perfectly good condition. As imagined, it is going to need a lot of panel work and bearing this in mind could someone please tell me what panels I could use off an XC sedan. The reason that I ask is that a fellow at work has told me that there is a one owner bog stock mint condition XC fairmont going for about $500 just down the road from him.

The question is, do I keep looking for another donor XB falcon or buy the XC. The panels I need are the turret, rocker panels, boot, doors and front guards.

ps are these panels available from Rare Spares and if so, are they any good? I have heard that the new repro guards are not very good and are a real bastard to fit, is this true??

Regards
Paul

#2 ·
Some of the panels are the same and others aren't. The front guards are different as the XC has a cutout in the side in front of the wheel opening for an indicator.

THe bonnet is different in that the XC GS did not get bonnet pins, where the XB GT did. The door skins are the same on the front doors, the rear doors have a completly different cut line at the top. The XB is cut straight, where the XC has a hook in the end.

The Rear Quarters are different around the rear door opening to match the rear doors, they also have vents in the rear pillars, the XB doesn't.

I think the rest externally is pretty much the same.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
hey

I under stand about how you would like it to be oringnal and so on,,
But have you thought about putting the runing gear from the XB toThe XC ,,, be heaps esayer than rebuliding the whole car,, yes i no piss of ,, you bought an XBGT cos you want an XB not XC ...

just a thought ...

#6 ·
Re: Re: Xb v XC body differences?

xa-coupe said:
not to mention it would be the death of another genuine GT.
Restore the xb !
What he said. They are worth keeping intact and on the road.

#7 ·
ford had some intersting design proposals for the XC but in the end they spent the money on the XD (believe it or not) so the XC got fairlane rear doors as someone else has mentioned and the usual front and rear changes. I used to work for BHP and I'm informed that Ford went for a thinner gauge metal in the XC over the XB. Looking for lightness, had emission control and were competing with GM's Holden at the time. The changes for made to the engine (superior head design etc) meant that the Ford didn't lose engine power with the new pollution gear. Which is not the case with the GM's product for the HZ was notoriously underpowered.

#11 ·
paull said:
I have just bought an XB GT sedan and it is not in exactly perfectly good condition. As imagined, it is going to need a lot of panel work and bearing this in mind could someone please tell me what panels I could use off an XC sedan. The reason that I ask is that a fellow at work has told me that there is a one owner bog stock mint condition XC fairmont going for about $500 just down the road from him.

The question is, do I keep looking for another donor XB falcon or buy the XC. The panels I need are the turret, rocker panels, boot, doors and front guards.

ps are these panels available from Rare Spares and if so, are they any good? I have heard that the new repro guards are not very good and are a real bastard to fit, is this true??

Regards
Paul
Contact me ,I might have some parts for you to do the car up.
I also live in Perth. 0409820440.

#13 ·
TICK4D said:
I don't think that they went to a lighter guage on the XC, and also the head design on the XC is the same.
Don't know about the guage steel either ??? Possibly true !!! Anyway ,they did have a different Head Design as far as the 6-Cylinder goes[Along with differant Block etc.] XC was first Falcon here to have 'Crossflow' engine .V8 Head's were the same though !!!

#14 ·
If its only the rust repair sections on the guards and doors that you need i will be able to help, should be able to find you a boot lid and turret as well let me know if you are interseted

#16 ·
bradford said:
The cast iron cross flow head was only on XC's then they went to alloy.
Early XDs have the iron xflow head too.

XC vs XB: I think the very rear of the cars are different, XBs having the very edges raised (subtly, above the outsides of the tail lights) while XCs were rounded off. Might be wrong here. *EDIT* I just checked some pics on www.geocities.com/falconfacts and XBs/XCs are the same in this area.

-Dave-

#18 ·
paull said:
I'm certainly interested, what do you have!
I can get all the Rust repair sections for the doors guards, ect and mabe someother things, let me know what you need and ill have a look for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.