Xc Falcon Interceptor ????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2002, 01:53   #1 (permalink)

Xc Falcon Interceptor ?????

I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the xc interceptors or if there is actually such a thing.From what i've heard they were made for the victorian police force and were pine'n'lime yellow ,came with a 351 /4speed with a disc 9 inch and had an over axle traction bar like the xa/xb gt's with a special bracket spot welded to the floor but the bar was only on the passenger side.They also came with the gs rally pack with the vented bonnet/gs dash and p/steer.Not sure if they had aircon but.Is there any other way of identifying one for sure that any one might know of..Any input appreciated ...THANKS
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2002, 02:18   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

a genuine one will have a very finely graded speedo ... AFAIK they didnt have any tramp rods or anything like that .. and as per 99% of police cars they would have been autos...
maybe they had different model no's to the rest.. maybe felicity(discovery) can help with this one
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 02:29   #3 (permalink)

Those above axle traction bars were also fitted to the XD ESP Falcons, mine is a six cylinder manual and it was part of the suspension package.

I think NSW used the same cars but most were autos. Were they actually called "interceptors" or was that a legacy of Mad Max

Cheers

Paul B
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:53   #4 (permalink)
Australian Member

The traction rod you are talking about came with the Rally Pack option on the XC. Mine came with one from the factory, although I have seen 351 GXL's which didn't.

As for the police interceptor specials, there is a photo in the Ford Falcon book by Ewan Kennedy. It is described as a "high performance special version of the new XC Falcon for the NSW highway patrol".

It has a twin headlight GS grill but no bonnet scoops and only the normal steel wheels with chrome hub caps. No 12 slots or special wheels. There is also a metal sunvisor fitted across the top of the windscreen and a full length side protection mould on the crease of the door. Door handles look chrome instead of the usual GS black. From the ride height it looks it has the GS suspension.

Here in the ACT the cops have one of their old XB 351 highway patrol cars on display. Inside is pretty close to a base model XB with none of the nicer spec stuff found in the GS. From the looks of it the cops ordered cars on the cheap and only optioned up the engine and suspension with the rest standard Falcon.

Given these would have been a special order, Ford might be able you with some proper details.
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 00:23   #5 (permalink)

The "INTERCEPTOR" name was used by Ford from the very early days of Police specials. The Falcon police cars were generally base models with the upgraded running gear of the GT. When I lived in Woomera there was an XE High way Interceptor. Pale blue with police markings, no side moulds, unpainted front bumper with the Ghia lip, Ghia headlights, wide steelies with chrome dog dish caps, low suspension, 351 clevo and a 4 speed. No steer and I think no air. I can't remember if it had a sunvisor or a bullbar but it did have half a forest worth of aerials on it. Local sarge claimed it could run to well over 210km/h.
Old 02-05-2002, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
Fordaholic

I used to own an XA Vic Police Interceptor , it came from the factory with a 351 , top loader , 9" diff ,GT "Tramp Rods" , rubber floor mats , GT bonnet , GT dash (ecept speedo , it is a "Stewart Warner" brand with fine callibration and no odometer) The colour is Blaze Blue , apparently there were only a couple made in this spec.
You wont get much help from the police either as the regos were changed before being sold to the public and the police records cant come up with any info because of this reason.
PS If you own a bit of a collection of car mags then you can find my car in the oct/nov 94 Performance Street Car mag , and the SuperFords mag early in 95
Daz
XR8 DAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:32   #7 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Yep WA had XC interceptors. They had GS grill but no GS bonnet plain fairmont type hubcaps and were all white.
Just like all the other models XA to XE some were manual some auto. Most only had one radius rod over the diff(passenger side). Supposedly purely to stop axle wind up with the disc brakes(apparently all nine inch XC's were this way, not just cop cars)

Pete.
Old 02-06-2002, 18:37   #8 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Question

Funny thing.

The XC Interceptor I know, which I looked at quickly, had 351, top loader, disc brake 9", and had all the GS options. It was/is Yellow and I think it had 12 slotters, with no chrome.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 02:26   #9 (permalink)

diff bars + i.d code

XR9UTE,from what i can come up with it was only the 351/4 speed cars that had the bar on the left side only.I have looked at some 351 auto cars ,no bar..
LTDHO,That is pretty much what i have been able to find out .

Would there be anything on the I.D plates that would identify if a vehicle was a police order or something.
On my I.D plates it says 'XC FAL 4D SED M' . I'm not sure what the 'M' means on the end as no others i've seen have that.
Thanks for all the input.....
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 17:22   #10 (permalink)
XR9UTE

You could be right gregaust although the one I looked under had the bar and it was auto.... Although someone could have fitted it after. BTW XC's did not have toploaders. All 351's had close ratio single rails.

If I'd been older than 11 or 12 when they were new I probably would have asked the cops if I could look one over?
Friday nights growing up in Albany saw lots of chases after local hoons by the big XC's. I remember the Fat cop they called "Tiny" and thought that car would go a shitload quicker if he just lost some weight! If he tried to chase anyone on foot he'd have had a heart attack!
Giggle.

Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Falcons